Nepal

There is also tons of food and relief supplies piling up at the airport do to "customs inspections"... Read as bribes required to pass.

Such a shame, so many people suffering due to government bureaucracy and corruption.

They have also closed Kathmandu airport to heavy lifters because they're worried about the state of the runway (earthquake+no maintenance, my bet)-not a good scene at all.

The banking monkey-business might not be as bad as it seems.

"...it only affects bank accounts that were opened in the last 6 days under the direct subject of “quake relief.” People, agencies, NGOs, donors with established bank accounts before April 25 can continue to receive and mobilize funds just as they used to in the past...It is purely a relief fund, channeled through the Chief District Officer in each disaster-hit district, and is meant to follow a “fast track” to cut through the usual procedural delays in a slow bureaucracy...The fund cannot be used to provide donations or any other administrative or overhead costs including facilities and allowances to civil servants. (They get no helicopter rides or random “incentives.”)"

quoted from http://blog.com.np/2015/05/02/what-is-the-pms-disaster-relief-fund-and-what-it-is-not/comment-page-1/

Praying that the government stops being dipsticks and does the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited was replying to Steves post. It would seem i can not post very well today

I would agree if I had any faith that they were going to or even trying to do the right thing. Giving other reports and things that have been reported on this very forum about corruption in Nepal I am afraid I do not have much faith. Do hope you are right :(

Last edited:
it is a wonder that auntie can do business at all with this kind of situation, lets remember that it may be a very long time until HI gets back on its feet and we all need to stick with them if we want them to stick around.

Your right cul. We are lucky in that sense.
I do my research before I give to any charity. Either I know their operation personally or give to 501c4 registered charity with some kind of transparency. Nepal's disaster protocol may not be anything like the US but it does sound like they are trying to keep it transparent. They are in the world spotlight now so maybe some good will come from this for all Nepalis and their govment after the dust settles. Ya gotta hope!

Last edited:
we just gotta keep sending in the cash to yangdu -- that is the only thing we know for certain is that HI nepal relief goes directly to citizens of nepal, we gotta get HI back on its feet!

also ndog, that is horrible, but not unexpected I hope your new home is far far away from the prowlers.

Several stories have stated that the airport in question was not built to handle heavy lift aircraft.

NBC

A Nepalese official told NBC that planes weighing over 196 tons were being told not to land at the Tribhuwan International Airport, located on Kathmandu's outskirts.

"The notice [was] issued after technically assessing that the overuse of the runway by unscheduled flights is damaging it," Hari Odiani, from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told NBC News.

BBC

About 100 US marines, two helicopters and four Ospreys capable of vertical take-off are now in Kathmandu.
Their arrival comes as Nepal's only international airport has banned larger aircraft carrying aid from landing because of concerns over its runway.
. . .
Planes heavier than 196 tonnes had been allowed to land since the earthquake but restrictions have been imposed because of potholes on the runway, officials say.
Also on Sunday, the United Nations said the problem of customs controls holding up aid deliveries from the airport was "diminishing".

I send money direct to Kamis via money gram and gets there quick. No one can steal the money from Kamis.

Back