Nepal's Rebels Kill 129 People- article about 2/17 attack

KATMANDU, Nepal (Feb. 17) - Nepal's rebels staged their deadliest assault ever Sunday, killing at least 129 policemen, soldiers and civilians in attacks on a district headquarters and airport in the nation's northwest, officials said.

The attacks undermine prospects for peace between the government and rebels fighting to overthrow the constitutional monarchy and create a communist republic. Fighting has claimed 2,400 lives since it began in 1996.

The rebels, who previously used knives and muskets, carried out the attacks with modern weapons stolen from the military, state-run Nepal Radio reported.

Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba called an emergency Cabinet meeting late Sunday as he prepared to seek an extension of the state of emergency imposed in November after the rebels ended a four-month cease-fire. The rebels, who draw their inspiration from Chinese revolutionary leader Mao Tse-Tung, had said the peace talks had failed to make any progress.

Deuba needs the support of two-thirds of the lawmakers in parliament to get the extension. He was appointed prime minister in July, a month after a palace massacre stunned the nation, leaving the previous king and eight other royals dead.

The latest assault began shortly after midnight when rebels set fire to buildings in Mangalsen, the headquarters of Achham district, about 375 miles northwest of the capital, Katmandu, the government said.

The rebels killed 49 policemen in Mangalsen. Forty-eight Royal Nepalese Army soldiers stationed in the town also died, Defense Ministry spokesman Bhola Silwal said in a news release.

Other victims included the district's chief administrator, Mohan Singh Khadka; an official with the central intelligence bureau and his wife; a postal worker and an unidentified civilian.

The rebels then attacked a small airport in the nearby town of Sanphebaga, killing another 27 policemen standing guard.

A gunbattle between government forces and the rebels began soon after midnight and lasted until morning Sunday, officials said. Police reinforcements rushed to Mangalsen but were delayed by bad weather and the mountainous terrain.

Officials said there could be major casualties on the rebel side as well. They added that fighters were seen taking away the bodies of other guerrillas.

State-run Radio Nepal said the army had taken control of the area and security forces were organizing a massive search for the rebels.

Earlier this month, the U.S. State Department issued an advisory to warn Americans about the rebel attacks in Nepal, including areas visited by Western tourists.

The guerrillas had recently attacked Lukla, the main entry point for the Mount Everest trek, and other popular tourist destinations in the Solu Khumbu Valley, the advisory said.

The violence has also reached Katmandu, where suspected rebels this month set off two bombs in government tax offices, wounding at least 10 people.

The rebels have called a general strike for Feb. 22-23 across Nepal to commemorate the sixth anniversary of their insurgency campaign. They are led by commander Prachanda - whose name means ``fierce'' in Nepali but whose real name is Pushpa Kamal Dahal.

Since the government declared the state of emergency Nov. 26, the army says it has since killed nearly 500 guerrillas and arrested another 1,400. Officials say nearly 200 government soldiers and policemen also have lost their lives.

my humble personal opinion- they should be given the same treatment that we gave AL-Q & Taliban. I consider this a form of respect;
By the "Golden Rule" in it's many forms, across many cultures- they are basically telling the world how they wish to be treated through their actions. It is only fitting that they should receive the type of treatment that they seem to prefer giving to others. :)

Quietone, you make too much sense to be taken seriously.

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if
I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him
that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would
like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that
any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets
a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy."
-Jeff Cooper, "Cooper vs. Terrorism", Guns & Ammo Annual, 1975

Back