Nessmuk hatchet

Howard Wallace

I'm back online after some time out of touch in the Idaho hills. I met a guy back there with a Nessmuk style hatchet. It felt good, although I didn't try it out extensively. They are now available commercially at http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html . I just ordered one for $44 including shipping. I'll let you know how I like it.

I post this here because we have in the past discussed the unavailability of this design.

:) thanks for the link. I like some of those traditional european styles.

Is there information somewhere on how to throw an axe? I'm not much of a Viking. If I had to throw and axe, I'd throw it like a baseball. :(

There are knife throwing and hatched forums on Bladefurums, that's a good start. It's a matter of repetition and experimentation. Anybody with an arm can do it, but doing it well is in the doing it a lot.

I own that top francisca, nice thrower once you grind the edge down. It's a bit light, so you really have to be a steady straight thrower to land it. I have a buddy who has a dead oak tree, some 4-5ft in diameter. We've been throwinng at that for years. He can split a beer can at 10-15 yards, first throw. He throws every day, woodsman's double bitted long-handled axes. He's a monster...

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

At the bottom of the page that Howard linked to, there is this book on throwing for a measly 5 bux.
-----------
Knife and Tomahawk Throwing, by Harry K. McEvoy, is a useful introduction the art of throwing. This little pamphlet is only 28 pages long, but covers selection of throwers, stances and grips, how to build a target, tips on accuracy, and even a brief section on hunting. The price is only $5.
-------------

I've bought all sorts of stuff from Ragnar and Ragweed forege. He's on the up & up.

Keith
EnFerroVeritas

:) Thanks for the info. I might have to buy an axe :D

Probably won't be able to practice at the local park though. :rolleyes:

,,on where the park is, or what time it is! Heeehe!

If you live in an urban area, it is possible to set up a throwing range if you have a back yard, or an alley or somehting. You just need target wood, and some netting to stop any bounces or overthrows, sorta like a batting cage. I live in the city (Nap-town represent!), but rural areas ar like 10 minutes from Indy.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Hey Howard!
Were you referring to the smallest of the Wetterling axes on Ragnar's page? I'd love to hear how it works for you. If it's the same one, believe Cliff did a review over on the axe/tomahawk forum a while back. He seemed to think it was a decent value. Not quite as good as a Gransfor Bruk, but less expensive.

Pat

Back