Netherlands (Dutch) Knife Laws? Amsterdam?

Soon going to be travelling to the Netherlands (aka: "Holland") for a visit. I've researched Dutch knife laws and it looks like I'd be ok with something like a Spydero Delica 4 everywhere except in Amsterdam's Centrum (city center), where I'd likely be ok just "burying" it (unclip and drop in pocket). (Rules in Amsterdam's Centrum appear to be similar to those in the U.K., but I figure de politie are unlikely to roust a well-dressed, somewhat elderly gentleman behaving in a civilized manner. The Dutch are generally pretty laid-back people.)

Anybody know any differently?

I searched the forum and such questions traditionally appear to have garnered little response, but it looks like it's been a while since anybody asked, so maybe this time...? :)

TIA.

There is a knife free zone in the center of Amsterdam. I'd avoid a clip anywhere. I'd also get a Boy Scout version of the Delica or Buck 110 if that's what I wanted to carry. Having the BS logo, makes a knife into a tool & very hard to demonize. Like the UK, the Netherlands is not very big on self protection, so if asked, it's a tool to whittle with or cut boxes or whatever. I haven't been for awhile, but from what I've heard Rotterdam is best avoided because of the large influx of refugees & crime.

I’d be more worried about having it confiscated from my baggage than carrying it on the street.

I always recommend contacting a consulate of the country or countries you are planning on visiting, re: knife carry.

The consulates have definitive answers for all your questions related to their countries.

For the smaller countries such as the Netherlands, consulate employees from the employing country can often provide excellent museum, restaurant and cultural events scheduled during your visit period.

I grew up in holland, so I understand the culture very well. People there will freak at any kind of knife, even something like the delica. Yes, the police won't search you, but you'll have no place where you can use it without people looking at you like you're a serial killer. Self defense there is not allowed, so don't even try that. Still, a fun country to visit.

I had no issues carrying a full-size locking SAK on a suspension clip through Amsterdam a few months ago. Used it without issues for things like opening packaging, eating and food prep (such as slicing an apple on a park bench). Nobody seemed too bothered.

More tacticool-looking knives will likely garner a different reaction though - that's in pretty much all of Europe though.

zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton : Consulates and other official sources like to err on the side of caution. The answer will nearly always be to leave your knife at home.

I have traveled Europe a lot. A standard Victorinox SAK hasn't caused me any concern out and about on the streets doing normal 'knife' things (opening packages, slicing salami, fruit, etc.). Like most things, if you aren't acting strange or being a jerk, most of the time no one notices you and those that do don't care or pay you any attention.

I grew up in holland, so I understand the culture very well. People there will freak at any kind of knife, even something like the delica. Yes, the police won't search you, but you'll have no place where you can use it without people looking at you like you're a serial killer. Self defense there is not allowed, so don't even try that. Still, a fun country to visit.

I saw a video clip on 60 minutes years ago where they interviewed a guy smoking crack on the street, saying that cops or natives never bothered him about it. I guess there’s no “visible” crime there? I just think it’s plain weird that people would freak out over a delica. Is being prepared to slice some food or open a package considered a crime over there?

International bodyguard and author Leroy Thompson recounted a close protection assignment that required him to guard a prominent businessman during a visit to Amsterdam. He stopped at a store that sold knives and purchased two large folders to carry, since Dutch laws prohibited him from possessing and carrying the handguns that he normally carried to protect VIPs.

I live and work near and in Amsterdam. The law basically states you need a reason to have the knife on you and it should fit the situation. You are not allowed to carry an automatic or double sided blade but there is no length restriction. A concert hall..bar...club etc could have their own rules and refuse you when having a knife. In some inner cities there are certain local rules about knifes banning them all together. Amsterdam centre being nowadays an open air museum with people having stag knight and blowing their heads off is such a zone.

That being said....I hunt and I usually have a knife on me...also in the office (work at banks mainly) and never ever had an issue. Nobody seems to care and only some do think knives are scary but if you are normal about it and use the for daily tasks like eating an orange nobody freaks out. I usually say I collect pocket knives which sounds nice I think. Don’t worrie about it to much I would say.

In Netherlands, pocket knives inside -- clipped to your pocket (i.e., Kershaw) -- are generally no problem. I live here since 2008 and have been asked twice to "unclip" my knife and put it entirely in my pocket. They apparently do not want to see it. You take your chances in A'dam. There's always the chance one cop out of 100 will stop you. Forget Rotterdam! There have been several stabbings there in the past year. They are very nervous about any knife.

You will not be fined or arrested. At most, a "good talking to" as they like to say here.
But I've never heard that anyone was arrested for a pocketknife (clipped or otherwise).

As of 2011, Dutch Law prohibits ownership or possession of:
  • stilettos
  • switchblades
  • throwing knives
  • folding knives with more than one cutting edge
  • folding knives with an overall length of more than 28 cm when deployed
  • butterfly (balisong)
  • gravity knives
  • disguised knives (belt knife, sword cane, etc.) and push daggers.
It is illegal to carry a fixed-blade knife with multiple cutting edges. However such a knife may be kept at home for collector purposes.
In addition to national laws, every Dutch city and urban district has the right to prohibit carrying of any knife that can potentially be used as a weapon in certain "safety risk" areas. Such a "no-go" area could include geographically limited urban areas such as public gathering places or events. In public a knife must be transported in such a manner so that it is not directly usable by the owner, such as storing the knife in a locked case for carrying in a backpack, or placing the locked-up knife in a storage area of a vehicle separate from the passenger compartment.

New here, but I`ve been living in Holland for 18 years. I currently have a little slip-joint (clip outside) in my hip pocket. I would never use it as a weapon - I`ll be 50 in a year or two. The blade is only about 60mm. I carry it because pocket knives come in handy and when you need one, just to cut a bit of string or whatever, you need one.

But as usual, because of idiots, law-abiding citizens suffer but that`s not to say that I`d like to see all knives legalised as "carry" , not without a good reason.

Update

So I'd purchased a Spyderco Cat G-10 plain edge for the trip. Well under the Dutch blade length and relatively discreet. Inexpensive, so I wouldn't cry if it was missing from my luggage or confiscated. I had only one comment on it. I do not recall by whom. A relative, IIRC. I explained how having a pocket knife close to hand was handy, as demonstrated by the fact I'd just used it to open something :) About the time we were leaving my wife mentioned a brother-in-law loved the knife and was looking to acquire one for himself. So I gifted it to him and acquired a replacement when we got back home.

Back