nevada.edu HI site

just curious, there seems to be an HI site @ university of nevada....

:confused:

B.

Hi Ben,

I get an error message "cannot find server" or something like that when I click on that link.

Rob

Man! YOu DO stay up late:eek: Or do you get up really early?:D

Originally posted by MauiRob
Hi Ben,

I get an error message "cannot find server" or something like that when I click on that link.

Rob

Man! YOu DO stay up late :eek: Or do you get up really early?:D

I get that too now - but it was there last night, really! Yes, a touch of insomnia at times.

cheers, B.

Beo,

I brought that thing up around 7:00 this morning (Pacfic Coast time). So you weren't hallucinating from lack of nicotine.:) Didn't look beyond the front screen though...

I bet someone was trying to make a new front page after seeing Uncle's offer and dropped it when you got it together first. Your post here maybe reminded them to delete it. Did you find it with a search engine?

Originally posted by firkin
Beo,

I brought that thing up around 7:00 this morning (Pacfic Coast time). So you weren't hallucinating from lack of nicotine.:) Didn't look beyond the front screen though...

I bet someone was trying to make a new front page after seeing Uncle's offer and dropped it when you got it together first. Your post here maybe reminded them to delete it. Did you find it with a search engine?

Many thanks firkin - after it wouldn't come back up I wished I had saved it or whatever. No I didn't find it with a search engine or I could have used Google's cached page feature to show everyone.

No, the way I found it was that I was checking on the counter on the 'Shop Front Door' - which tells me all sorts of interesting things, like what pages are referring people to HI's pages and would of the addresses listed was that nevada.edu address.

I was more just curious than anything else - whatever page it was was directly people to HI's stuff no it wasn't trying to do anything devious (or, if it was, it wouldn't work very well since people would end up buying from HI).

cheers, B.

:eek:
How much stuff does that counter tell you?

I'm getting paranoid. As with most people on this forum, I'm armed :)

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
:eek:
How much stuff does that counter tell you?

I'm getting paranoid. As with most people on this forum, I'm armed :)

Bruisee - it's not 'spying' on your if that's your worry. You can actually see it too by clicking on the CQcounter icon at the bottom of the page. It checks what resolution your monitor is at, what browser you're using, what operating system, what language your computer is set to - things like that. It doesn't tell me (or anyone) that it's your computer that's set to those, just sums how many people looked at the page were viewing it at 1024x800 using Windows 98 with IE5 browser, with their computers set to German, &c.

I can see the last 20 hits and the associated IP address, but that doesn't tell me much.

I get more extensive stats on pages that link to the HI sites, i.e. what http address they're at and how many people they referred.

cheers, B.

The counter seems to have a good variety of stats nicely presented. But I don't see a way to even respond to visitors. Is there one? An automatic "thanks for interest" email would be a nice feature.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
The counter seems to have a good variety of stats nicely presented. But I don't see a way to even respond to visitors. Is there one? An automatic "thanks for interest" email would be a nice feature.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly...so far as I know, there isn't a way to automatically detect someone's email address (if there were that would start to be scary....).

I think a responding-to-visitors feature would be a separate entity. The visitor has to enter his email address somewhere in order for us to know. I don't know how to set-up an 'automatic' email off the top of my head, though I might be able to figure it out -- but I've have to know more what you have in mind.

cheers, B.

Originally posted by Bill Martino

that would be a separate feature - there's no way of detecting someone's email - they would have to enter it.

I would have to know more what you have in mind....

B.

Uncle, your expressed and genuine sentiment on the "thanks for interest" E-mail is a nice thought and the idea is based upon generally good marketing practice.

But I fear that in today's #@&&^% environment, you might actually scare off potential customers in some states and municipalities who are justifiably concerned about hanging onto the knives and fierarms that they currently own. Add to this the general climate which includes fear of stolen online financial identities and fear of goverment spying on citizens, I just don't think this is a go. I don't think it would be interpreted the same way as the guy at the store whom you've never seen before looking at the name on your credit card or check saying "thank you Mr. Martino".

In some ways, its a sorry world we now live in. But there are enough crooked and mean **&%^^$ around that I'm glad Beo thinks this is hard to do... because it's hard for the bad guys too.

I think that Uncle Bill is just requesting a way to say 'Thanks' to the visitors of HI's website. One possible way to do this in an only mildly intrusive manner is a small pop-up window upon leaving the HI website. This would be a generic type of page, expressing a general statement of thanks. This html page would only need be a few Kbs in total size. It would load as the HI homepage loads, but not display until the trigger event (leaving a particular page on the HI website) occurs.

Another method would entail using an direct E-mail/contact page on the HI website. We've all seen pages like this -where you type text into a big, blank, white box on a web page and then push a 'Send Mail' button. You are usually taken to a redirect page immediately after pushing the 'Send Mail" button. This new page usually says something like "Your message has been forwarded to... blah blah blah". You could have a pleasant thanks note placed here. If the person who sent the message provided their E-mail addy in an appropriate field of the previous E-mail/contact page, then Uncle Bill could respond to their message. This sort of interactive page usually requires a cgi script. If you contact the webmaster at NetFirms.com he/she may have some readily adaptable (canned) mailform scripts ready to go. Most hosting sites like to provide their own tested scripts to minimize security holes created by someone else's poorly written code.

Just thinking outloud Beoram :) Your doing a great job on the HI website and we all support your efforts -pax

...this quiet little thread is amazingly buoyant, wouldn't you say:D

billpaxton,

Both your ideas are great; I was just mentioning that many people may get a little (or more than a little) freaked if they think they've somehow unwittingly provided information like an E-mail address. The general and very friendly idea is excellent.

Back