NEVER cut yourself???? (Warning - a few graphic pics)

I’ve gotten tiny little nicks from just fooling around with most of my knives, but the only really bad cut I’ve ever had came from when I pulled a stuck knife out of its sheath with a bit too much force and it launched itself across my knuckle. No stitches, but it must have done something to the nerves cause the middle of my finger tingles if I rub the scar.

first cut on my knuckle with a kitchen knife when I was a kid, still wear the scar. Lots of cuts since, including with large machetes, but all when handling, not cutting.

I usually christen my knives with an offering of blood within a day of getting them. The lucky ones get it while getting un-boxed.
In high school I sharpened something like 10,000 blades for folding archery broad heads. Seldom ever cut myself, even though I handled them all and assembled them. But a knife in the hand is another story. It’s usually me trying to use it as a screw driver for some stupid reason and slipping.
Live, laugh, bleed.

^haha that first sentence! Cutting yourself with your knife is a necessary part of the passion! I’m an electrician and we say the same thing about getting shocked. It should happen eventually as you get more confident with the skill. Humans are prone to over confidence and that’s usually where we err. Experiencing mistakes is how we obtain humility. Extreme safety and extreme carelessness are both unnecessary, and some mistakes(cuts) are a normal part of using and pushing any tool to its reasonable limits

Any time there is a zip tie involved......

I can't remember which knife I was using, I remember it was overdue for sharpening, though (which was such a good thing at the time).

It was a small zip tie on a package of forks from Khols. I was thinking to myself imagining my friend's kid was watching me and I was tell him him, "this is how you should NOT use a knife". As I did that, the knife slipped and narrowly missed my hand. Close call! .....It's just this last zip tie, I'll try one more time doing it the wrong way - SLASH right into my thumb. Effed up my workouts for a week or so... which ruined my life for a week.

Zip ties are satanic. Tried to cut one of those really thick ones with my brand new Benchmade Infidel fixed blade a few years ago and it slipped an inch into my thigh. I sewed it up temporarily with dental floss then drove to the urgent care for 5 real ones. My wife and kids were up North visiting family and I tried telling them I fell. Wife asked, ‘which of your knives did you ‘fall’ on?" Lol

Last edited:
Zip ties are satanic. Tried to cut one of those really thick ones with my brand new Benchmade Infidel fixed blade and it slipped an inch into my thigh. I sewed it up temporarily with dental floss then drove to the urgent care for 5 real ones.
I haven’t found a blade yet that goes through them easily. Like the harder you pull on them, the stronger they get. Those bastiges gotta be snipped.

I'm not going to admit here how frequently I have knife "accidents," but I probably should have my own brand of first air supplies.

I'll also mention that if a hypothetical individual were to initiate profuse bleeding via a karambit meeting lower leg/calf, an Israeli bandage might hypothetically control the bleeding and allow said individual the use of both hands to clean the giant puddle of blood from the floor before driving the hypothetical self to the ER.

I've been pretty lucky but, there is one knife that always gets me. It's the first parer knife I ever made, so I had to keep it for testing. Every time I handle it it seems to "bite" me. I was washing it and sliced across two knuckles. Next time removing some spots from sitting in bottom of sink and almost stuck it through my index finger. Needless to say, right now it's in time out on my bench.

Some how today I winged the side of my nose. I can't explain how it happened or when. All I know for certain was I took a good look at the edge in the sun, and few seconds later rubbed my nose and was bleeding. It's the equivalent of a paper cut but about an inch. No idea how I'll explain this to my wife who is sure to notice.

When using a knife, for food prep, carving, hacking, batoning, cartbord, zipties, plastic canisters and what not I never cut myself in the last 27 years since I'm into knives. But while cleaning them, I regulary give myself little cuts by accident. They bleed just a little and stop by themselfs.

Not a knife wound, just got in a hurry with a bandsaw, and tried to filet my finger.
My worst knife wound happened when I nodded off on the couch with my Bugout on my lap(Fidgeting). When I woke up I forgot about the knife, so when I got up the knife fell on the floor, bounced open and went straight into the top of my barefoot.
Pretty sure I f‘ed up a tendon but I used my med skills and wrapped it with some Gauze and some super 33,(electrical tape), and went on with my day. Now I can never get rid of my Bugout…lol.
68BAE620-9999-4EA7-82B3-8D7D58046B7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Been fiddling with knives for 50 years plus. Also working in the chemical industry 40 plus years, safety has been drilled into my head to a positive effect. Still I’ve cut myself. I think it’s virtually inevitable. The worst cases were when (I hate to admit), when I was drinking and using a extremely sharp knife. I’ll never forget my first Blade Show, they gave you band aids when they took your ticket.

smalls cuts here or there, multiple times. The most severe cut happened when I stupidly checked with two hands a framelock knife to see if it had any vertical bladeplay. To my costly surprise, the lock disengaged so easily that the momentum slammed shut the blade onto the side of my index finger close to the palm. Took a few stitches in the ER room and left a permanent scar. I did take a picture of the cut while in ER but even in black and white it is too graphic to show (it looked like a baby's mouth half opened)..

When I cut myself, I take it as a signal I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. It happens, I live in my head too much. And it is almost always when doing something trivial, like cutting fruit. When I'm working in my shop I'm in a very different headspace and paying attention, and <knock wood> haven't ever hurt myself when doing heavier work.

My worst recent cut came from a podium, of all things. It had a sharp edge on a metal strip around the top that bit my thumb bad enough to need stitches.

Back