NEVER cut yourself???? (Warning - a few graphic pics)

Mostly an occasional nick, seldom requiring first aid. I hate band-aids, so on the rare occasion I have a cut that needs to be closed I use super glue.

The only time I cut myself bad enough to get stiches was as a teenager. I was trying to replace the blade in one of those cheap little folding razors with the black plastic handles. I slipped and slid the tip of my index finger across the razors edge (I still have it, successfully replaced the blade). Took 3 stiches. Probably could have gotten by without stitches, but I had good medical insurance, and it was late at night and the ER was empty (a long time ago). So I figured might as well.

It's simple logic- the more frequently you handle sharpened pieces of steel, the more likely it will be that you will occasionally cut yourself.

Of course, there's no law saying you have to tell people exactly HOW you cut yourself. If I'm among "knife people", sure, I'll say I cut myself with a knife. But non-knife people, uh, it was a broken piece of glass, or a piece of sheet metal. Yeah, that's it. No need to give them reason to think I'm some idiot who's irresponsible with cutlery. Who needs that.

Mostly an occasional nick, seldom requiring first aid. I hate band-aids, so on the rare occasion I have a cut that needs to be closed I use super glue.

The only time I cut myself bad enough to get stiches was as a teenager. I was trying to replace the blade in one of those cheap little folding razors with the black plastic handles. I slipped and slid the tip of my index finger across the razors edge (I still have it, successfully replaced the blade). Took 3 stiches. Probably could have gotten by without stitches, but I had good medical insurance, and it was late at night and the ER was empty (a long time ago). So I figured might as well.

It's simple logic- the more frequently you handle sharpened pieces of steel, the more likely it will be that you will occasionally cut yourself.

Of course, there's no law saying you have to tell people exactly HOW you cut yourself. If I'm among "knife people", sure, I'll say I cut myself with a knife. But non-knife people, uh, it was a broken piece of glass, or a piece of sheet metal. Yeah, that's it. No need to give them reason to think I'm some idiot who's irresponsible with cutlery. Who needs that.
Indeed. Some non-knife folk would also lump us with individuals who are, shall we say, of questionable repute. It can get rather annoying but I just ignore it lol.

I cut my fingers maybe once a month on average. It's usually a minor cut and it's never while doing actual knife work. It's always some stupid project related accident that happens while I'm fixing something, taking it apart, or whatever. My hands will slip, and out comes the red stuff. :mad:

I just did it again last night. Sliced up my thumb on a pair of scissors. I'm thankful we have isopropyl, hydrogen peroxide, and neosporin. And bandaids. Lots and lots of bandaids. :D

was recently reviewing Dad's collection & came across an enormous fixed blade knife in a box. if I remember correctly, a sheath was also in the box, but the knife wasn't in the sheath. he had attached a post-it note to the outside of the box: "VERY SHARP" so I gingerly put it all back as I found it, but I inadvertently, lightly, touched one end of the box to be sure the flap was closed & zing! it got me. I had no idea knives that large, could be razor sharp. I'm pretty sue no blood made it on the box. handle with care, eh? no kidding!

I've never got cut enough to need stitches. I remember that I cut myself once when I was like 5 years old. I didn't really cut myself so much that it bled unless you can't shards of glass from beaker as a knife. That bled very well for some reason.😅

I cut myself all the time, usually being stupid. The worst one cost me 5 stitches in my left palm, a result of cutting a zip tie off of a new (to me) pair of leg irons.

I have certainly cut myself with a pocket knife, but it has been a loooooong time. I have never cut myself with a either a pocket or fixed blade knife bad enough to need stitches. I do not remember any puncture wounds, but there may have been some. (we won't talk about razor blades, I darn near cut my finer off with a single edge razor blade when I was a kid). I have badly mutilated my arms with other sharp materials like steel wall studs, and my forearms bear a lot of scars but knives and I get along without much violent interaction.

OZLvWlZ.jpg

Spyderco Military.
Merely a flesh wound

I've cut myself 2x that required stitches. Was about 10 the first the and 18 the second. Slow learner I am. Since then minor cuts only and too numerous to count. Though it's been 5-6 weeks since the last little cut. Watch, I'll screw up tomorrow!!!

or "dull" paper. I swear (once using words and vehemently enough that a Pacific Theater battles hardened WW2 Special Forces Marine Vet blushed) paper cuts hurt worse than steel/metal/glass cuts.
Much, much, much worse.
With a paper cut I've always known instantly I am leaking red stuff. Cuts from the other materials I may not notice I'm cut until I see the red puddle on my desk or work bench ...

Worse knife cut I ever got was when a teen, working on a 1/25 (or maybe it was a 1/24) scale model car. I was removing the engine from one to use in another. I got it out.
A couple minutes later I see a red puddle on my desk.
I didn't have any red paint, so that eliminated the "I knocked over a bottle of Testors red paint!" theory.
I checked my hands. Right thumb web. I could move the flappa skin and see bone ... or something white ... ("cool!!!!") (thumb still works properly. It never quit working)
Went across the hall and asked Ms. Wheeler for a bandaid.
She looked at the cut and told me I should walk the block to where my dad worked, and have him take me to the Doc for stitches.
(Ms. Wheeler quit driving a couple years before I was born and didn't own a vehicle. I was still a year or two off from learner's permit age, ATT.) I did, and he took me to the doc.
The ONLY time it hurt was when the (IMHO sadistic) doc stuck in 3 shots of novocain for five stitches.
It mighta hurt less if he'd sewn the cut shut without the 🤬🤬🤬 novocain to "kill the pain".

Last edited:
Nicked twice since returning to knives last year. First time was my Cold Steel Voyager. Was learning the ins and outs of the triad lock, and the guillotine of a blade swung long and hard against my index finger. A slight cut but it bled. The last time was right after I acquired my first assisted opening knife, a Leek. Trying to close one handed and the assisted torsion bar resisted and my hand slipped of the ice surface stainless scales and voila. Another minor cut. Not sure how to avoid the occasional cut and nick Part of the hobby.

or "dull" paper. I swear (once using words and vehemently enough that a Pacific Theater battles hardened WW2 Special Forces Marine Vet blushed) paper cuts hurt worse than steel/metal/glass cuts.
Much, much, much worse.
With a paper cut I've always known instantly I am leaking red stuff. Cuts from the other materials I may not notice I'm cut until I see the red puddle on my desk or work bench ...

Worse knife cut I ever got was when a teen, working on a 1/25 (or maybe it was a 1/24) scale model car. I was removing the engine from one to use in another. I got it out.
A couple minutes later I see a red puddle on my desk.
I didn't have any red paint, so that eliminated the "I knocked over a bottle of Testors red paint!" theory.
I checked my hands. Right thumb web. I could move the flappa skin and see bone ... or something white ... ("cool!!!!") (thumb still works properly. It never quit working)
Went across the hall and asked Ms. Wheeler for a bandaid.
She looked at the cut and told me I should walk the block to where my dad worked, and have him take me to the Doc for stitches.
(Ms. Wheeler quit driving a couple years before I was born and didn't own a vehicle. I was still a year or two off from learner's permit age.) I did, and he took me to the doc.
The ONLY time it hurt was when the (IMHO sadistic) doc stuck in 3 shots of novocain for five stitches.
It mighta hurt less if he'd sewn the cut shut without the 🤬🤬🤬 novocain to "kill the pain".

One of the worst cuts I ever had came from factory-fresh corrugated cardboard.

I worked for a company that had custom boxes made for shipping merchandise, we had to assemble the boxes, and sometimes the edges of the cardboard were like finely serrated knives and would slice through skin like a razor. I once got cut all the way across the palm of one hand. Not deep enough for stitches, but it was still a nasty cut.

I learned real fast to wear gloves when handling those boxes. And even leather work gloves had to be replaced a few times a year due to the cardboard cutting through the leather.

Cut my left pec just now. Word of advice: Don't flip/flick your knife open and closed in near darkness with your off hand.

On the plus side, my Strizh is officially mine. No going back.

I've cut myself more times than i can count :p
Ive been hunting for my whole life and Ive worked in constructions (electrician) for 12 years and recently got an administrative job.
Weirdly enough i primarily cut myself when im fidgeting with my knives in the sofa, enjoying a whiskey or something along those line, rarely and almost never when 'working' with a knife xD

I get bitten once or twice a week, lol. I’m always appreciating/playing/fidgeting with knives, wether it’s fondling a new purchase or revisiting an old one. I can’t recall the last time I was seriously cut though, probably as a kid trying to be careful.

I realize the thread is about flesh wounds, but I’m gonna add a slightly different spin here.

I’m not ashamed to admit to some stupidity every now and again. I am, however, slightly ashamed to admit how frequently I exercise said stupidly.

The rub here is that I don’t often cut my skin; when I do it’s usually while staging a photo for the daily thread. Knife slips from a log or branch, I go to grab it, small cut. No biggie. Never had a bad one.

But the more frequent occurrence, and the one I hesitate to share with you guys, can also be blamed on the daily photo thread.

So here’s the deal; I have a bad habit of wiping my blade on my shirt…you know, to get the days dust, fingerprints and lint off so it looks nice for a pic. Funny thing is, no matter how careful I am, I inevitably end up slicing my shirt. I’m not kidding when I say that 90% of the shirts I regularly wear have small cuts and holes in the appendix region.

Fortunately, I dress down most days. I’m more a shorts and a t-shirt kinda guy. A random hole here and there just lends my wardrobe an authentic “vintage” vibe. Wouldn’t be surprised if the look catches on and the young ones start doing it intentionally.

Pretty sure that’s how I personally started the whole “torn” jeans look. Kinda resent that I don’t get credit for that one.

Last edited:
I realize the thread is about flesh wounds, but I’m gonna add a slightly different spin here.

I’m not ashamed to admit to some stupidity every now and again. I am, however, slightly ashamed to admit how frequently I exercise said stupidly.

The rub here is that I don’t often cut my skin; when I do it’s usually while staging a photo for the daily thread. Knife slips from a log or branch, I go to grab it, small cut. No biggie. Never had a bad one.

But the more frequent occurrence, and the one I hesitate to share with you guys, can also be blamed on the daily photo thread.

So here’s the deal; I have a bad habit of wiping my blade on my shirt…you know, to get the days dust, fingerprints and lint off so it looks nice for a pic. Funny thing is, no matter how careful I am, I inevitably end up slicing my shirt. I’m not kidding when I say that 90% of the shirts I regularly wear have small cuts and holes in the appendix region.

Fortunately, I dress down most days. I’m more a shorts and a t-shirt kinda guy. A random hole here and there just lends Amy wardrobe an authentic “vintage” vibe. Wouldn’t be surprised if the look catches on and the young ones start doing it intentionally.

Pretty sure that’s how I personally started the whole “torn” jeans look. Kinda resent that I don’t get credit for that one.

No need to feel ashamed or embarrassed, you're among friends here. :) .

If it makes you feel better, one time I was experimenting with my Cold Steel Ti-lite 4, attempting to "wave" it open by whacking the guard spur on the side of my leg above the knee (I was wearing jeans). All went well the first few times, then on the last attempt I waved it open so fast that the blade swung around and the tip sliced through my jeans and into the side of my leg. Blood was drawn but fortunately it was a superficial wound.

That was the last time I tried the "wave" 😉.

The last one that bit me really hard was the 2018 Forum knife, the Buck 301 Stockman with elk slabs. That little sucker almost took my finger off.

Back