Never owned a SOG--looking into Tomcat S22

I like the look and feel of this knife. I have a big hand and the knife fits it well.

I also like the cocobolo grips as I have a stainless .45 with cocobolo grips. However, these knives seem overpriced. I see them on eBay NIB for $90, and on various online shops for $110-120, but this seems like a lot for a factory folder.

Any comments?

Thanks a lot.....

fxdwg98, actually you can expect to spend between 100 and 150 for a good quality factory folder. And customs go up from there. You'll hear a lot of folks say that you can't appreciate a $100 folder until you buy one. I can certainly vouch for that. I own only two good quality folders. A SOG and a Benchmade. The SOG was the first one I bought. I only bought the Benchmade because I wanted a one hander. I can tell you this. Before those knives, there were many, many, many, other pocket knives that I used, carried, and subsequently fell apart. I have not had to replace either of those knives since I bought them. SOG folders are very sturdy and ultra dependable. If you buy one, you'll never regret it.

Get the SOG, carry it for a year. I guarantee you that your views on knife quality and utility will change dramatically.

I've had my Tom Cat for about 10 years now. This is a top quality knife in every detail. It was my first big dollor folder but not my last. Worth the money? Absolutly. This knife will be with me all my life and I know it will stand up to any use I need it for. Im partial to top quality knives and now own quite a few, including Bench-Made (custom bali-song & model 42), Spyderco, (many), and other SOG's. For the money the SOG can't be beat.

I agree with the others. The Tomcat was the first "Big dollar" folder I purchased many years ago. It is tougher than a two dollar steak.
Buy one you won't regret it.

------------------
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
It is right to learn even from an enemy.

Hi Fxdwg98,

Sounds like there are some pretty happy customers here with the Tomcat. If you choose to get one, you will join their ranks.
smile.gif

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

I fell in love w/ the Tomcat when I first saw an ad for one in a Kung-Fu mag many years ago. It may well have been first image of a "tactical folder" that I had ever seen. I could never have afforded one then, but now I can and have many nice folders (all one-handers), but for some reason the Tomcat got passed over in the buying frenzy.

I still find myself wanting one, and will probably get one to keep for the day when the fascists get around to banning "them one-handed opening knives that are only suitable for gang-bangers and muggers" or some nonsense like that... In cocobolo and in a nice leather sheath the knife would be no more threatening than your run-of-the mill Buck 110 folder, I would think.

PM

I used to carry a Sogwinder, (same construction different blade shape) and ended up selling it simply because I was having trouble carrying it onto planes, and travel was becoming a larger part of my job. Without question, these are about the toughest lockbacks made. Further, the fit and finish on them is in general exceptional.

When evaluating the quality of such a knife, there are a couple of things in particular I look at:

1) How secure is locking bar to blade connection when it is open? In these knives, the cut out is deep, precise and the two pieces fit together exceptionally.

2) How rigid are the scales, can they be flexed? (This is actually a common mode of failure, the handle flexs changing the geometry of the lock to the blade) Again, particularly on the big ones the answer is virtually nothing.

3) How durable is the pivot, is there any play in the blade? (ie, the walk and talk business) I carried the Sogwinder for a number of years, with many flick openings and no problems.

In general, I would say that the quality you get for the money is easily among the top factory companies. I will say three things
though as cautions. It has now been nearly ten years since I had my Sogwinder, and I haven't looked at them much since. I don't know if any of the manufacturing has changed in that time. Also, At the time I believe the blade steel was 440A. This is actually a better steel than many give it credit for when properly heat treated, but it isn't 440C or ATS 34. Finally, I'm not quite sure about the edge profile of the Tomcat, but the Sogwinder was flat ground with a very thick edge profile. Combining it with an extremely thick blade did not make that efficient a cutter. Not a criticism, as it was not really designed to be a slicing sort of knife. The Tomcat is probably better, but the thick blade steel will definately not cut as well as thinner stock in a quality knife. That is part of the tradeoff for the strength. - Good Luck

Back