New 710-1401 from Knifeworks (pics added)

Benchmade is throwing me through a loop, first I want a Barrage, then Griptilian, now the 710 !
:confused: :D

Fair enough on the corrosion resistance, but minimal in my experience.
Also in my experience, M2 at a soft 60 will breeze through stuff all day long that instantly destroys D2 of any hardness.
The only thing I see that D2 has over M2 is ease of sharpening.

I've never noticed that big a difference between the two in edge retention, honestly. I've always attributed it to both being left soft, but M2 has never particularly blown me away. For me, it falls into roughly the same category as D2, S30V, XHP, S35VN and similar steels. All of them hold an edge for long enough that I'm happy using them, but all fall well short of steels like M390, M4, S90V, S110V, etc. Given that, I'll take ease of maintenance over what I've always experienced as a relatively small difference in edge retention.
Hmm...
Nothing to add... quoted for the archives....

Looks great. This one has been tempting me since they marked it down.

Looks great. This one has been tempting me since they marked it down.

Me too...I was afraid I would miss out so I got it.And I am glad I did!!!

Go ahead and get it!I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine!

Last edited:
When the 710-1401s were first released there was a problem where you could get snagged by the tip of the blade. I had one of the problematic 710s and sent it in to Benchmade (not KW) whom fixed the slightly protruding tip. KW acknowledged the issue and has remedied the problem. At one time KW had a blurb on their website about the problem and the fixing of all affected knives but has since removed the notification being as it is now not relevant.
It is no longer a concern.
It is still relevant.How many customers purchased defective knives and did not send knives in for replacement or repair? Why remove the notification on the site?I never saw the notification and was not notified by BM or KW that I need to send my defective knife in for repair or replacement.I can't say that I agree with you Sir...KW is a top tier dealer in general, but since MAP pricing they no longer offer BM discounts.The BM Exclusives that KW currently offers have been available for quite a long time now.I wonder if the price will keep dropping?Seems like an anomaly in my eyes.......

It is still relevant.How many customers purchased defective knives and did not send knives in for replacement or repair? Why remove the notification on the site?I never saw the notification and was not notified by BM or KW that I need to send my defective knife in for repair or replacement.I can't say that I agree with you Sir...KW is a top tier dealer in general, but since MAP pricing they no longer offer BM discounts.The BM Exclusives that KW currently offers have been available for quite a long time now.I wonder if the price will keep dropping?Seems like an anomaly in my eyes.......

I don't know if it is an anomaly...I suspect it is nearly the end of the run of them though.Which is why I ordered mine.

I really did not want to miss it.

I think Benchmade will handle any serious problems with these if they pop up.I expect you would report promptly any issues with any blade received...

Did you get burned? If so it would be good to post it!

You make a solid point and I agree with your premise that there are undoubtedly knives that have been sold with that defect that have never been fixed. I do also agree with you that Knife Works, since they are the exclusive retailer of the 710-1401, should still maintain some notification even if it were to point a purchaser back to Benchmade for the repair service if the tip protrusion were a problem. But maybe there is a statute of limitations that have been adhered to and is now passed as far as required by...?? in which KW did as required. I say maybe...I don't know.
I do retract my statements in my post of "not relevant" and "no longer a concern." It would certainly be relevant and a concern to anyone having the defective knife.
As far as MAP pricing goes, if we could put it to a vote MAP would exist no longer. I just look at the knife and count the cost.
Thanks Salmonkiller for your astute perusal of my flawed post.

Back