new apprentice in the fiddleback family

Hello all my name is Dan and I am an apprentice with Andy at Fiddleback. Working with Andy I have learned a lot of the theory behind why he makes his blades and handles the way he does, and that alone has been priceless knowledge. Now that I am starting to work on my own designs in Andy's shop, and I would be grateful for the opportunity to learn from those of you at (if you will forgive a bad pun) " the pointy end". I was wondering what one thing made you choose a fiddleback over other knives? and in what way do you use them?

Thank you for your time, and with y'alls help the next time Andy looks over my shoulder he will say great idea

Dan

Get Andy to bring you up to Trackrock the end of next month and we'll mess with your mind a bit more.
Won't hurt.......much!

I was wondering what one thing made you choose a fiddleback over other knives? and in what way do you use them?

Andy's knives are functional pieces of art and beauty. His handles are some of the best I have ever seen and therefore, I have 6 of his knives. I mainly use them for camping and hunting activities. My wife uses my Bow Legged Joe Belt Knife for crafting stuff and it works really well but I hate seeing it used to cut lace and fabric!!

Hi Dan. One thing? I guess his unique handle design/construction. Layered micarta, woods, bolsters, etc...just looks cool.

However it's not just one thing. It's quality materials, a size/design for most every purpose from Runt to machete, comfortable fit in the hand for extended use, excellent craftmanship, and a knife that will last longer than I will.

Mine are used for everything from yard work, bushcraft, to hunting. Some are kinda plain, some fancier, but none has ever failed, and they are dependable. And for some reason, I always want another one... ;)

The handles. It was the handles that got my attention. Then the practicality and usefulness of his designs. I use my BLJ and BLBK as EDC tools, depending on whether I'm working out in the world or doing chores at home. I look forward to seeing some of your work, too! :)

The handles initially brought me to Fiddleback, but like everyone else, the quality, practicality, and beauty all factored in as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Guys, I'm happy to have Dan aboard. He is shop savvy, and has his own shop already set up, so I am confident when he uses the tools. He is learning, and has a great attitude. He is new to forums, and I am happy to have you folks helping him learn about this community, and what they like in knives. You've never guided me wrong.

You lucky Dog Dan! & no I don't forgive your bad pun:D
I have only owned 1 FF & the handle felt awesome! Looking for my next!

Hello & welcome Dan. You seem like a sharp guy - We like sharp

Hi Dan, as for me personally I really do love Andy's ergonomics, but I also love how his knives have enough belly to work with when skinning and processing and food prep, but still have a good pointy tip which is basically a requirement for me to really love a knife.

Welcome Dan! although I currently don't own one of Andy's knives I am on the list for a hunter. From all the posted feedback on forum it seems everyone loves there FiddleBack knives for many reasons. I like that they not onky look great but seem like very functional tools that are built to be used. I know I'll be using mine every chance I get....
Best of luck working w/ Andy & for your future too....
Jim

Welcome Dan.

Andy's handle material and ergonomics is what caught my eye. Some of the combinations of micarta and wood I have only seen on his knives. His style is unique. I own a hunter and hiking buddy. Like others have said, he has a nice combination of enough belly and a useful tip for all sorts of tasks. Many of his designs are universal in the tasks they will perform. Almost anyone who notices a FB has an immediate use for it in mind. Instead of seeing a beautiful knife but not knowing what to do with it. When it comes to the handles he designs, I know of no maker that has an equal amount of logic into it.

Glad to have you aboard. Oh, and I am JEALOUS!!!

Welcome Dan,

First, because I trust Andy as much as any person I've ever dealt with in my life. He is a consummate professional.

Second, because I think he makes "utilitarian collectibles," which will never fail, nor have less value than they do at the purchase time.

Third, because he is an artist, as well as an artisan.

Have fun, sounds like a great opportunity.

Dan if you learn but 1 thing from Andy Roy, learn how he shapes his handles. This is, IMO, the one thing that separtes Andy form the rest. Yes his grinds are great, but so are others out there. Yes his fit and finish is great, but so are others. But noone matches his handle shape and fit of hand.

Thank all of you for your input and advice, andy told me that if I asked honest questions I would get grate advice. As a follow up question regarding Andy's handles I like them because I have some what big hands and they are some of the few that fit me. Is that the case with y'all?

Thank all of you for your input and advice, andy told me that if I asked honest questions I would get grate advice. As a follow up question regarding Andy's handles I like them because I have some what big hands and they are some of the few that fit me. Is that the case with y'all?

I'll let ya know once I get my hunter.....my paws are big too....

As a follow up question regarding Andy's handles I like them because I have some what big hands and they are some of the few that fit me. Is that the case with y'all?

We're working on Andy on that one bro. I've got a custom fat handled BF that is the shitZ - I have big hands too

Niche Biz is good biz

I have big hands and a fat handle BF as well. I can use it for hours, put it down and my hand feels like it could go for hours more.

I just need more fat handle FBF's.:)

We're working on Andy on that one bro. I've got a custom fat handled BF that is the shitZ - I have big hands too

Niche Biz is good biz

Dan, that is like a dream come true. I would love nothing more than to be able to apprentice under someone like Andy. Work hard and never take it for granted.

What drew me to Fiddleback was a nonsense tool that was comfortable in hand and has a style all it's own.

Congrats Dan,you've got a dream job there.
What drew me was a beautifully spalted 01 3 finger Karda.
So I gotta say the steel drew me in,I love 01 & Andy's spalting.

Back