New balisong dropping when?

gamma_nyc

Gold Member
i thought they were supposed to be out this year. Any news or update on the new Cold Steel balisong to be released?

Thanks

I don't know what you're thinking of, but they haven't announced a balisong AT ALL, so no, there most certainly won't be one this year.

I would be very surprised if CS made that type of knife. CS doesn't seem to make knives that are illegal in many USA locales, in fact CS tries to make a legal version of those type knives ie the Paradox and TiLites.

They did hint at it for 2019...saw a post in the Balisong forum about it, so posted an FYI here about it a while back

Last edited:
Instagram I believe...said that balisong fans would like 2019, so don't know what else that could mean other than a new CS balisong coming....

I would be very surprised if CS made that type of knife. CS doesn't seem to make knives that are illegal in many USA locales, in fact CS tries to make a legal version of those type knives ie the Paradox and TiLites.
CS sells lots of stuff that's illegal to carry (if not to own) in much of the USA . Double edged fighting knives , sword canes , etc . ;)

CS sells lots of stuff that's illegal to carry (if not to own) in much of the USA . Double edged fighting knives , sword canes , etc . ;)

Yeah, but balisongs are illegal to even OWN in many states, double edged knives, sword canes, etc are only illegal to CARRY, not own in many states. That's the big difference that has kept CS from doing balisongs AFAIK.

Yeah, but balisongs are illegal to even OWN in many states, double edged knives, sword canes, etc are only illegal to CARRY, not own in many states. That's the big difference that has kept CS from doing balisongs AFAIK.
The logical basis of these laws entirely escapes me , but you are probably correct . Many such weird special laws exist for martial arts and "gang related " weapons . :confused:

We should all feel much safer now ! :rolleyes:

Especially funny when it takes most people longer to open a balisong than a modern folder.

It’s always the same theme, get rid of the “scary” stuff to placate the sheeple. Don’t even get me started on “assault rifles” which are basically determined on basis of color.

The logical basis of these laws entirely escapes me , but you are probably correct . Many such weird special laws exist for martial arts and "gang related " weapons . :confused:

Yep, it's dumb. Because balisongs and "switchblades" were so associated with gang use/crime, many states outright banned them. Which is dumb, because a)it's not like criminals who use knives as weapons are known for following laws, b)even if the law prevents a criminal from getting access to a bali or swithchblade, it's not like the criminal can't carry any other knife instead, cause c)balis and switchblades aren't any deadlier than a sharp kitchen knife or a Recon 1 or a Buck 119, and d)in terms of opening speed, legal assisted and wave openers open as fast or faster than autos and balis, and nearly any modern folder that opens via flipper, thumbstuds, or thumbhole can be opened as fast as a bali and only very slightly slower than an auto.

laws against tools or weapons are misplaced. the law should be where it belongs on using the weapon or tool to harm or kill someone outside of self, home, or family defense. I have no tolerance for folks who give up rights and try to get ours taken away.

^edited as I quit smoking and i am rambling things I shouldn't out of my bad habit ending....

I'm looking forward to this balisong'ish knife.........

Last edited:
Where I live, the electric scooters from Lime and Bird are way more dangerous than any balisong when you're out and about.
least someone built the poop map to help avoid it out there. I expect that's more dangerous than the scooters and a balisong......:)

laws against tools or weapons are misplaced. the law should be where it belongs on using the weapon or tool to harm or kill someone outside of self, home, or family defense.
I'm not posting to disagree, but to clarify: that is 100% the intent of these laws, and generally the way they're applied.
If a District Attorney has the power to escalate a known drug dealer's sentence from a misdemeanor to a felony because of an object that happens to be in his car, it really makes the DA's day.
If the "perp" is just a guy at the wrong place/wrong time who happens to have an interesting knife in his pocket, "the system" has some room for interpretation and you shouldn't get booked (most places don't have the manpower to book people for every violation of the law). But it's of course a risk you should weigh carefully before carrying any tool that doesn't have a job-specific purpose.

The prosecutors do not want to lose another tool in their toolbox. Changing these laws will be difficult, if not impossible, in many places.

The chances that you or I will get booked on a weapons offense while at a jobsite, office etc. are slim, so there hasn't been much of a concern for people who want to carry interesting knives. It's bars, concerts and schools that are tougher to argue about: tolerance for "unusual" behavior at those places is low.

I'm not posting to disagree, but to clarify: that is 100% the intent of these laws, and generally the way they're applied.
If a District Attorney has the power to escalate a known drug dealer's sentence from a misdemeanor to a felony because of an object that happens to be in his car, it really makes the DA's day.
If the "perp" is just a guy at the wrong place/wrong time who happens to have an interesting knife in his pocket, "the system" has some room for interpretation and you shouldn't get booked (most places don't have the manpower to book people for every violation of the law). But it's of course a risk you should weigh carefully before carrying any tool that doesn't have a job-specific purpose.

The prosecutors do not want to lose another tool in their toolbox. Changing these laws will be difficult, if not impossible, in many places.

The chances that you or I will get booked on a weapons offense while at a jobsite, office etc. are slim, so there hasn't been much of a concern for people who want to carry interesting knives. It's bars, concerts and schools that are tougher to argue about: tolerance for "unusual" behavior at those places is low.
what you described is part of the problem. we are going to have to disagree on it, but that's okay.

this isnt the place to discuss politics and laws, but I'm not a fan of big govt or mutiple layers of govt. I dont feel it benefits me and I know it costs me lots of money. I get others like the system as is, such as yourself and that is okay. we can disagree and still be civil. we used to be years ago....we could even be friends with very different beliefs.

back on topic.....cant wait to see what cold steels got balisongish wise and when we get to see it.......

what you described is part of the problem. we are going to have to disagree on it, but that's okay.
back on topic.....cant wait to see what cold steels got balisongish wise and when we get to see it.......
I don't think we actually disagree at all, just sharing what was explained to me by an assistant DA from central California.

One thing we definitely agree on, there is plenty of demand for a new Arc Angel from Cold Steel!

Back