New Baskethilt......YEAH.......

Here ya go Ken. I promised to post pics...
The Anne Bonny is here…. YEAH….

annebonny.jpg

Here is the entire blade...
annefulllength.jpg

Hanging on the wall...
anneonthewall.jpg

Close up of hilt...
hilt.jpg

Another close up...
hiltcontd.jpg

Inside the hilt...
insidehilt.jpg

It is an exquisite little baskethilt based on the woodcut of Anne Bonny, a female pirate who sailed out of the Charleston area in the 1700’s. It is also based on a saber found in the wreckage of a ship she supposedly sailed on. I do not own a scale or a ruler so you are out of luck until I can find one. All I have is a tailor's tape. Here are the statistics I do have:

Overall Length: 39”
Blade Length: 33"
Blade width: 3/4" at cross, starts to gradually taper three fourths of the way down the blade, 1/2" at 1" from point
CoP: approx. 20" from cross
CoG: approx. 6” from cross
Weight: About 1 lbs, maybe, I don’t own a scale.

It also has a ridge down the back of the blade and not much of a curve. It has great slashing and thrusting potential. It is unsharpened at the moment. Eddie lets us dry handle weapons for a couple of weeks before he sharpens them for us. I guess so you do the stupid stuff before its sharp. It handles like a dream and is quick as a whip. I can’t wait to get it sharpened and cut some tubes with it.

That is SWEET!!!
biggrin.gif

Oh wow, that's got incredible potential. If you're right about the weight, it's going to be an incredibly quick little blade. With such a slight curvature and light weight, I suspect you're going to find the blade's sweet spot rather far back when you do your saber cuts, and being so narrow, I imagine you'll want to try to do most of your parries on the spine rather than the flat. (If you were going to fight this blade, just remembered you said you were going to sharpen it.)

"I can’t wait to get it sharpened and cut some tubes with it."

Tubes?
What do you use for test cutting?
Let us know how it does and some pics of your test cutting would be GREATLY appreciated.
This is a FASCINATING little blade, smaller than what I would normally choose for myself, but then, after so much time with rapiers, a 33" blade just seems "too short." (I've been programmed!)
I know I'm greedy and keep asking for pics, but I would appreciate it if you didn't mind.
Also, specs as to what type of steel? How's it tempered etc?

THANKS for these pics, I'm going to be drooling over them for a few days at least!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Desenfundeme no sin la razón, envaineme no sin honor
Usual Suspect
MOLON LABE!

Don't have steel info. The blade was made by a company in Boston when and I quote Eddie "They still had someone who could make a decent blade." It flexes well and easily. Not as flexable as I would like but I think the ridge on back stops some of its motion for thrusting. I use mailing tubes for cutting practice. I will also use some 2 liters to thrust with. When I cut with it I'll repost.

Back