New Chris Reeve finish on titanium handles and standard blades

Did anyone else who has had an order in receive the email yesterday concerning this? The new handle finish seems to be an improvement.

So what is your point? Are you trying to argue for the sake of arguing?
No, I'm just saying that since he stopped being involved in the company CRK seems to be going downhill a bit. What with the problems I've heard about the 31 having lock rock, etc, just seems like its less about the pursuit of perfection and more about the pursuit of money. I did own a Sebenza and while it was an excellent, extremely well made knife, it was not for me. It saddens me to think that with so many fanbois that they are cutting corners. I hate seeing this sort of thing. It just always seems to me that when the main dude steps down, or dies, quality suffers, at least for a time.

Now I could understand if they offered a stonewashed blade as a free option, for people who don't want to mar up that polished blade, but to switch to it seems like a cash grab.

No, I'm just saying that since he stopped being involved in the company CRK seems to be going downhill a bit. What with the problems I've heard about the 31 having lock rock, etc, just seems like its less about the pursuit of perfection and more about the pursuit of money. I did own a Sebenza and while it was an excellent, extremely well made knife, it was not for me. It saddens me to think that with so many fanbois that they are cutting corners. I hate seeing this sort of thing. It just always seems to me that when the main dude steps down, or dies, quality suffers, at least for a time.

Now I could understand if they offered a stonewashed blade as a free option, for people who don't want to mar up that polished blade, but to switch to it seems like a cash grab.

Yes, we are on the same page there. The thing is, is that it’s not “Reeve Knives”, it’s “Chris Reeve Knives”. Going back to your Ford, Ferrari, etc thing, it’s not “Henry Ford Motors” it’s just “Ford”. The generations that came after have done their own thing with the brand. CRK is doing the same thing (and going downhill) but keeping the same name that people have expected quality and commitment from for decades. They should just rename the company to GIK, “Generic Idaho Knives”.

Yes, we are on the same page there. The thing is, is that it’s not “Reeve Knives”, it’s “Chris Reeve Knives”. Going back to your Ford, Ferrari, etc thing, it’s not “Henry Ford Motors” it’s just “Ford”. The generations that came after have done their own thing with the brand. CRK is doing the same thing (and going downhill) but keeping the same name that people have expected quality and commitment from for decades. They should just rename the company to GIK, “Generic Idaho Knives”.

Exactly. It just sucks when the founder/owner steps down or dies and the company goes down like that. Pisses me off especially in that my family's business has been around since 1952, and when my dad took over in 1996 when my grandfather died, we actually became a better business. Business is still under my grandfather's name, which also happens to be my name. Just because the owner/founder is gone, doesn't mean the company should go down with him/her.

It's about damn time they listened to the folks buying their products.
I've shied away from the wood inlays for that very reason. I don't like the polished slabs. I mean, who doesn't like to carry a little wood in their pocket to show off later ☺️

Isn’t there an ongoing joke about it now being “Chris Reeve’s Wife’s Knives” or something like that?

Isn’t there an ongoing joke about it now being “Chris Reeve’s Wive’s Knives” or something like that?
If not there should be. Maybe she is secretly seeking revenge for all the money he spent on his knife collection!

It's about damn time they listened to the folks buying their products.
I've shied away from the wood inlays for that very reason. I don't like the polished slabs. I mean, who doesn't like to carry a little wood in their pocket to show off later ☺️

Agreed. I'm in the same boat and have never preferred the polished handle on the 21/31 wood and CF inlays. SNail trails looks great on blasted handles but they look horrible IMO on the polished. I think this has been a fairly common critique from customers as well. Although I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that love the polished slabs. Maybe CRK will offer the polished slabs as an option at some point once production catches up? Or maybe there will just be limited polished runs?

Maybe they're just trying to stay competitive since the price of everything is increasing and they’re already at the higher end of their market segment?

Chris was going to be a hard act to follow, no matter what they did. He had great talent and insight(as well as being a perfectionist). They are trying some new things and time will tell how it works out. Some like me are going to be reluctant to change of any sort, but others may like the changes.
That said-I ordered my Classic MM African Blackwood(2008) with a stonewashed blade. So this is not all bad to me.

Back