New Collaboration with JK Knives

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Okay, it's time to make this official, JK Knives JK Knives and I have been going back and forth for at least a month, probably closer to 2 months entertaining different design ideas and such, like the clipped CBK and discussion over other clip points. We will be working together to get a few new designs, my designs, offered up on John's forum and probably a website later when I get time to set everything up. I'm hoping to get a service offering there as well once I get more of the legalities figured out, but that's the boring stuff we can leave to PM's if you're really interested.

You've probably already noticed me filling up some of John's production schedule with prototypes, 3 in November/December and 2-3 more coming in January. My first couple designs are aimed a little knives that pack a lot of utility, something John is already good at designing and making so it's a good learning spot for me.

Here's the 1st two coming out in several weeks. This is using the handle off the deluxe hurley creek so I could get something in hand to test and then passaround while focusing on the blade purpose I wanted, getting a lot of edge into a sub-3" fixed blade. January's prototypes are more for getting the handle nailed down (nothing wrong with the HCL handle, I just don't want to be using "parts" off other maker's knives so flagrantly). Proto 1 on the bottom, proto 2 on the top. The proto 2 will be in scandi and saber, the proto 1 only saber. Bother in 3/32" O1 steel. I'll post more specs as they get closer to completion, or are finished.
7scQtIyl.jpg

Eventually, we plan to work up to some bigger camping knife sizes.

So, why am I doing this? Because I like the product development process and I no longer do it professionally so I might as well do it as a hobby. John's been splendid to work with on the previous knives I've ordered because I've asked for small changes on most of them and it's worked out pretty well for me. I am not a knife maker and have no aspirations to be one, I like using and designing things but I'm not gifted in crafting to the level John is and I don't want to spend the time to be proficient at as there are other things I like to do that I spend a lot of time learning and training on. I think this is where our current partnership works out well and hopefully it gains some interest from the knife community.

What will make this partnership a little different than other knives is that I plan to offer each model made by John as a "try before you buy" scenario. This is part of the legal piece I'm working out mentioned above as I don't need to get sued over someone cutting themselves on a knife and getting excited, as I would still own that knife. It may be that each get's a pass-around or I will simply have one I can send to folks at the cost of shipping and then that is refunded if you make a purchase. Exact details on that are still getting worked out on my end, that's not a John part of the partnership. This is also where a website will be handy for me.

We're both very excited to see how far this goes, whether it stops at a couple of designs that mostly end up my hands or those of friends, or if we can sell a few here and there and keep John and I busy. My goal for this venture is to get some designs that are functional but look good, with more traditional design ques but adding some modern flare that I appreciate from current makers and manufacturers. John and I are both aligned to having knives made to be used, but that certainly doesn't mean they need to look hideous. But, expect a few to have some interesting lines as I like to try different kinds of things that are either less common or others aren't doing.

Any way, as you can tell I like to write a lot, and that's part of the other thing I spend a lot of time working and training on (business school). If you've made it this far, thank you for your time and if you have any questions for John or I, please post below or PM us.

cbach8tw cbach8tw and @markisharp, both of you have recently mentioned French trade knives in recent threads. I was looking at a sloyd design I use for wood carving and though, "what would this look like at bushcraft kind of lengths?" I went a little longer in this design, aiming at 6", just because I don't have many in that size and there are other options at 5", but wondered if this is a design that would be of interest if John and I could work it out?

I'm calling it a super sloyd for now since that's where the inspiration came from. The handle is intended to be pretty similar to John's Hudson Bay handle but with a slight contouring a little more light bushcraft and carving knives.

zfbkZ8Ml.jpg

I ordered a bunch of carving wood today so I should be able to start getting some of these designs modeled up before sending them to John, especially with respect to the different handle shapes.

Last edited:
I would make it a saber grind rather than a scandi, my two cents, and in 1/8 steel.

I would make it a saber grind rather than a scandi, my two cents, and in 1/8 steel.

I was originally thinking saber but thought scandivex would be interesting because of the sloyd concept. It's already intended as 1/8" steel. I almost thought 3/32" O1 would be pretty interesting as it should add in a little flex at that point.

Appreciate the input.

Scandivex may work, I would leave it 1/8 since it is a little larger.

This is where working with John is nice, I can ask for both depending on customer desires.
This is true, keep us informed of its progress. The shape of your design, a sloyd style you said, while looking like a French trade design, almost looks like a design from another maker I have that has a 4 inch blade. Almost puuko-ish.

IMG_0141.JPG

Last edited:
Your design has more sweeping curve and the handle has the ball shape. Nice, do you see an advantage of a longer blade as compared to a 4-5 inch blade? You mentioned having some flex to the blade, so I guess it can be for fishing and kitchen work, plus the carving.

Last edited:
This is true, keep us informed of its progress. The shape of your design, a sloyd style you said, while looking like a French trade design, almost looks like a design from another maker I have that has a 4 inch blade. Almost puuko-ish.

View attachment 1213670
Looks like a cross between my Puuko and Stretched No Name.

Any pics of the stretched no name? Sort of like the Man with no Name? Now I've done it, I have the theme song from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly playing in my head.

Your design has more sweeping curve and the handle has the ball shape. Nice, do you see an advantage of a longer blade as compared to a 4-5 inch blade? You mentioned having some flex to the blade, so I guess it can be for fishing and kitchen work, plus the carving.

Honestly, part of length was because I saw a few 4-5" french trade or similar style knives already available and I wanted something to differentiate it more, but I'm not tied to blade the length. Think it would make it a nice big bird carving knife as well. I also know the buck 119 is popular so there is a draw to that length of slicey knife, or at least that 6" isn't too long.

My goal with this one is to get something that has a fair bit of blade length that is really nimble still, which is where the sloyd/trade design seems like a winner because the blade height is so slight out at the tip and the big handle puts all the weight in the hand. One noticeably difference from this and where it differs from the trade design, and why I call it a sloyd inspired design, is the long gentle curve whereas all of the trade knives have a more pronounced belly and a longer flat section near the heel of the blade.

I was thinking this could be a nice one to try and offer in 5" or 6" and I plan to draw a smaller one as well, probably with a 4.5" handle instead of the 5" it's at now. I was going to put the JK Kephart in the photo to get a size comparison as the sketch it life-size.

Anyway, it's just an idea with an accompanying sketch for now. We'll see how it evolves. I'll try to get another picture with the Kephart in there along with drawing the higher grind of the saber.

There is a similar design by Aa Forge, just for size and shape reference only, the XL camp knife. I like the longer handle aspect for better control.

I was doing a little poking around at some other historical type knives and came across the rifleman's knife. It's a broad genre but it seems like dragging the blade length out to 7-8" and adding a swedge or slight drop point and it would work as a rifleman's knife. Same handle. Might be a neat little expansion on the above drawing for an additional intended purpose/concept.

I probably would need to make the knife a little taller for the added length to get a similar sweeping edge, though many of the rifleman's knives look almost like a bayonet with a more comfy handle.

Updated the sketch with a higher grind and dropped a spyderco millie in for size reference. Sorry for the poor picture quality, it was hard to get a picture that was better with the lighting I have this AM.

1amgjDAl.jpg

yxtw7K3l.jpg

Looks nice, cannot recall member if the point is slightly upswept or is the back straight all the way across? I can see the French trade influence in it now.

Looks nice, cannot recall member if the point is slightly upswept or is the back straight all the way across? I can see the French trade influence in it now.
The spine is dead straight, the bad picture and shadow, or the paper isn't flat, makes it look like a slight upsweep now that I look at it closer.

Okay ladies and gents, John and I have been working to bring you a great service that I'm pretty pumped about. We're still getting the details worked out on the when and how, but it's going to be a great value for you. If you're new to JK knives or have been spying something new but haven't wanted to go all-in on it, I think you're going to like this idea.

This... is going to be sweet. I hope many who have been following our collaboration take full advantage of this inexpensive, and in some cases free, service.

I expect we'll have the official announcement shortly after the holidays while I build up the equipment inventory to properly serve our customers and we should have nearly a complete service offering by late winter or spring.

Back