New collector seeks advice!

DSC07927.JPG
Hi,
I hope you are all well.
I'm new to collecting, just started collecting Sheffield pocket knives.
Recently bought a George Wostenholme IXL how old is it? and general info on the handle etc.
Thank you!!!

Slick Slicers YouTube channel often covers Sheffield traditional folders. Here’s a link to his IXL video:

I disagree to the advice of pulling out of the hobby if you still can. This hobby actually does not cost much of your fortune. Plus, if you are not happy with a knife or lose your interest in it over time, you can usually get back at least 60% of what you paid for (unless you seriously used/abused it). Think about other hobbies like drinking, eating, touring, shooting guns, clothes, etc. Most often the money you spent on them is (almost) completely gone.

My advice is: pace your knife purchases properly and give enough time to enjoy every knife you acquired.

My advice is: pace your knife purchases properly and give enough time to enjoy every knife you acquired.
This!
And part of pacing your purchases is not buying knives you can't pay for...there have been too many stories about people accumulating knives on credit & struggling with the debt.

My advice is to always buy quality in whatever genre you're into.

I've bought many and ended up spending a bunch of $ on knives that didn't measure up that were pointless to sell once the costs of delivering the knife were tabulated. Or were just impossible to sell because nobody wanted to buy them.

On the other hand, I've bought knives that were respected and desirable that were easily sold for a minimal loss and sometimes a bit of a profit. Plus I had the opportunity to enjoy the better quality while I had it.

I'm not saying you've got to go hog wild and seek out $1000/knife kind of stuff, but if you hang around here long enough you'll figure out what the general consensus on what brands are desirable within their respective market segment.

If you hang around in knives long enough, you might find your tastes change. Being able to sell knives that no longer hit that spot to fund your next desire really helps keep down the excess "stuff" while also helping to keep your wallet fatter.

Back