New Commander's different?

I wasn't able to get KNIFE 10 1999 (Japanese) but I got the new one and it has the Emerson Commander in a lot of pictures.

Has the Commander changed since it's initial release?

I got mine in of March 98 but the ones in the carious pictures and ads are quite different from mine.

First of all, the handle differs slightly. Instead of two basically flat G-10 slabs for handles with some rounding off around the edges, the Commander has G-10 which is contoured to fit the hand, reminiscent of the old all black CQC8's. YOu can see the grain of the G-10 in various patterns because it has been ground away and shaped to fit the palm of the hand.

The edge is also completely double ground. The pictures show both sides of the blade and you can see the silver edge clearly on the other side, completely ground into the knife.

Do the new Commanders really have a truly double ground blade and new handles?

Jason

I don't know if it has changed at all here, but I have heard persistent rumors that Ernie makes different knives for export to Japan. This is particularly true of the custom knives, where, the story goes, he sends knives to Japan under an agreement not to duplicate the designs here in the States. Since it is notoriously difficult to import to there, it would make sense that he'd have to make a concession in order to sell there. Of course, it makes an export model extremely rare. If the pictures you're referring to seem like a different knife, that may be the answer. I'm curious if anyone else has heard about this?

The photo's you are refering to were shot here in Southern Calif. The page of customs were provided by Tamishigiri and I to a photographer who flew in to shoot the article.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

I'm actually not talking about issue No 10 which features some of your and Tamishigiri's knives but ads in the magazines and smaller pictures that the magazine took itself that show this different Commander.

Jason

Fenris,
Your diserning eyes do not deceive you.
There have been changes in the Liner Lock,
G-10 manufactured now has the texture/pattern
your reffering to. All done in a effort to improve QC & the knife after R&D, T&E.

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Whoa! We can't get a regular grind on a Commander here, but they are exported? Is this confirmed? If so...that doth sucketh.

Back