New DDRs!!

I need another Darrel Ralph knife like I need another hole in the noggin. Apparently, I want a skeletonized head, as I picked up two new knives from him that I ordered for the Blade Show:

View

On the top is the 4" Madd Maxx in D2M spearpoint blade. Handle spacer is fileworked, and it rides comfortably low with an EDI clip.

Below it is Prototype #2 of the 4" EDC slotted titanium frames. Fighter style D2M blade, ground very thin. DDR said he cannot do the ceramic peen finish on the blade, as the blasting process would distort the cutting edge. As an extra, I had him nugget both sides of the frame. As with the 4" Maxx, an EDI clip is the mode of carry.

Great job on these (as usual), DDR!
smile.gif

------------------
Proud member: AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

Living life on the edge

Hey Dexter, I actually got your 4" EDC from Darrel before you did!
tongue.gif

Kick ass knife, isn't it?

------------------
If ignorance is bliss,
why aren't more people happy?

Hi Dex! Here are the two Mini Max's that I got at the show:

View

And here is a pic of the titanium neck spike I got from Darrel:

View

I will post pics of my prototype LDC/Ralph Vanguard 4"EDC w/flipper when it comes in
smile.gif

michael
biggrin.gif

------------------
"For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword."
Heb. 4:12

Usual Suspect
Its an Emerson thing. You wouldn't understand.

My Emerson collection:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1526731&a=12341786

The fullers on that top mini-max really make that a complicated and nifty looking grind.

Hi Mike - nice pics! I'm not a fan of dagger blades for EDU (every day use) but Darrel's daggers really look good. I saw that ti neck spike thing on his table, pretty neat and lightweight.

------------------

Living life on the edge

Great knives all. That little spike is cute. Does Darrel make it in steel? Also can't wait to see the EDC w/flipper!

Could someone please explain the "nuggetizing" process to me? It looks like it drastically improves grip, and looks cool to boot.

Thanks,

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

That EDC is one of the prettiest knives I've seen in a long time. Very nice Dexter, thanks for the pictures.

------------------
Keith

AKTI Member #A001338

Bugs3X wrote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Could someone please explain the "nuggetizing" process to me? It looks like it drastically improves grip, and looks cool to boot. </font>

Bugs - the nugget process involves taking a Dremel tool with a carbide burr bit and bearing down onto the titanium, making a figure-8 movement. What you are doing is roughing up the surface a bit, adding texture. You'll notice on my EDC that the handle is anodized one color and the nuggeting is anodized a contrasting color. This is done with a 2 step process: 1) Anodizing the enttire handle (pre-nuggeting) at a high voltage. Thus resulting in the blue-purple hues. You then nugget, exposing raw titanium as you do. 2) Then anodize the handle again at a lower voltage, thus resulting in the contrasting gold color. Anodizing at a lower voltage will not have an effect on the anodizing done at a higher voltage.

DDR charges extra to do the nuggeting, but IMHO it is worth every dollar, as it dramatically improves the look of the knife.

Clear as mud?
smile.gif

------------------

Living life on the edge

Thanks, Dexter. Yes, I think the nuggetizing is very good looking, and, I assume, it increases grip substantially as well. Beautiful knife. As time goes on, I become more and more a fan of Darrel's knives!

By the bye, is anyone else having any problems with threads they've read in, or even posted in such as this one, that are blue, signifying they've not yet been read? It is happening to me with increasing frequency. Am sure it is happening more often than I realize, but with my inability to form short term memories, it often seems new to me.
smile.gif

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

In case anyone wants a factory version, another Darrel Ralph design similar to the Max is Smith & Wesson's H.R.T. I have a bunch of basic stats on it from a magazine ad, but I can't find it on the web yet. (including at the site listed in the ad, www.taylorcutlery.com.) Maybe it'll show up soon.

Originally posted by Dark Nemesis
Everytime I see his nugget work, I could kick myself for not getting it on my EDC....

Hey DN - it's not too late to get the nuggeting work done! He can do it for you if you can send it back. Email him first though to find out when is a good time to send it back. I know is is getting ready to start on knives for the S.E. Custom Knife Show this September.

Dex:

Really? I just might do that. I'm waiting on my 5.5 Dagger Madd Maxx, i think its right around the corner, god i hope. Once I get that, then I can deal without the EDC for a few days :)

DN - no kidding, it is not too late. What he'll do is to add the nuggeting then re-anodize the handle at a lower voltage, turning the nuggeting areas gold to contrast with the handle color. The lower voltage will not affect whatever handle color you have now, since that was more likely done at a higher voltage. Go ahead and email DDR, I know he'll do this for you if you wish.

Dexter,

Could you please post picture with the clip side of the EDC folder?
Thank you. I also herad somewhere (but I am not 100% sure) that maybe some Talonite EDCs will be available.... Is that correct?

David

Back