• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

New design

Les Voorhies

BANNED
I don't know how this one will go over, it's a little odd looking but i think it should be a very usable knife. I have two finished, i'll list the other one later today, it's the same as this one but it has red G10 scales. I have not put a clip on either of these but a titanium clip can be added for tip down carry for $20, tip up carry may be available later.

Specs:

Blade - 3.5" x .125 CPM154
Handle - Bone micarta bolsters w/forest green G10 scales
Liners - .050 titanium
Overall - 8.2", 4.7" closed
Pivot - 1/8 w/IKBS

Price - $450 shipped (cont. U.S.)

Thanks for looking.

flip018.jpg

I like the knife but the flipper looks too big and it seems like it would catch on almost anything

I agree. The flipper seems a bit too big but the knife
design is pretty neat. I really like the 'beefy' look of the blade.

I also love the knife, but dislike flipper. Either way, it's still a heckuva lot better than I can do.

Great looking knife Les! How does the length and size of the flipper compare to other flipper knives of this general size and design?

I would think the flipper is a form follows function element?

Ken erickson

I love the stylized clip blade, but I could do without the flipper altogether.

Great looking design, but would think it would catch in the pocket. On your next one work on that area. Blade looks outstanding. Thanks for showing your work. Have a great day out in the shop. I am. :)

I think this is one of the nicest looking new designs I've seen in a while, and having two of your knives already, I can imagine how it feels in your hands, too bad I just have to imagine for now

Les- I don't know that much about the flippers as I've mostly carried knives without them. I wonder if you might have other views - perhaps this view makes it look larger? I also wonder, did you have specific design reasons for doing so? The blade looks awfully good. At any rate - great work!! :cool:

I like the blade shape, a lot.

The flipper is too long and pointy. Without being too much of a jerk, my best advice is to look at Phil Boguszewski's flipper design. The part of the flipper that protrudes above the frame should be as short as technically possible, and should be rounded.

I have carried a bunch of too-long and too-point flipper designs since the current flipper "fad" started. While these flippers may or may not be visually appealing (YMMV) you can rest assured that long flippers catch on pockets and point flippers hurt.

I like the looks of the blade, Les, interested to see how you think the flipper works. I really like your other knives I handled at PKA!

Scott

Hey, that's outstanding! I love it the handle and blade. But agree the flipper "might" be too big/tall. (I have tho hold it to really tell...I suppose we all would.) But then again, I like just enough of a flipper to "push" on and get things started. Some want to be able to get the whole job done with one motion.

Love though, keep playing with this one!

Great looking knife all around! The flipper looks just fine to me. More flipper for your buck and more flipper means greater guard against slippage in combat or wet slippery use situations.

:thumbup:

Les, is this knife flickable ? and if so, can screws be tightened enough to pass the Canada Customs flick test (i.e. try as hard as you can). roland

I had to sit on my hands for a little while on this thread, i like to think i can take and use constructive criticism but i've been struggling with this one, (someone even implied it was his design) But after looking at this design more closely i think you all are right, I'll put it away for a while and rework it later.

Thanks for your input :)

hey les, i actually think the design is really cool, just that nub sticks out a bit much.. maybe if you rounded it a bit? either way, really really nice looking knife.
Jason

Les I think that your knives are awsome looking! Your fit and finish is something we other knife makers strive for! So beautiful!

Back