New EDC Fixed blade (JP Bladesmithing)

Just got this EDC tanto. Here's a comparison pic with my daily EDC for size comparison. Note the blades are the same length (3.5"), even though the tonto appears smaller. It's made of 80crv2 spring steel. The handle ergos are excellent for my medium sized hands, although I think the knife could benefit from some jimping for an even more positive grip.

Carry wise, it drops into a pocket comfortably, and even in the sheath, thinner than that BM folder and all but disappears. The minimalist sheath is set up for IWB, which is a nice touch and smart idea. A fixed blade EDC is always a tough balance between size and comfort and concealability, this knife strikes that balance very well. I carried a ESEE Knives Izula-II, which I liked, but the blade length 2.63″ just a tad small for my uses. For me, the optimal fixed EDC is 3.5 - 4.25" to act like a "real" knife in most situations. but that's me, so take for what it's worth, but there seems a "Goldilocks" range of 3"-4" for a fixed EDC that's comfortable and easy to conceal, but do what you need it to do beyond say opening letters...

I like utilitarian tools over flash (be they tool watches, firearms, etc) for a fair price for quality, and considering these are hand fashioned knives, and I'd say JP Bladesmithing has accomplished that.

If this knife was not designed specifically for EDC, a beefier handle would be nice, but not necessary per se.

I will report later when I use it more for additional thoughts +/-

52717526_10156041007456517_26736205777338368_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great edc fixed blade! I've been looking for a smaller fixed tanto for utility; light prying, scraping stuff, etc. A spring steel tanto like this one might fit the bill. Will be interested to know if the handle allows for this type of use.

Looks like a great edc fixed blade! I've been looking for a smaller fixed tanto for utility; light prying, scraping stuff, etc. A spring steel tanto like this one might fit the bill. Will be interested to know if the handle allows for this type of use.

My early impressions are, it should be an excellent all around performer.

I really like the tanto blade. Looks great. But it’s too small a knife for my taste.

I really like the tanto blade. Looks great. But it’s too small a knife for my taste.

Per above, EDC is a balance to be struck for sure. I tend to favor 3-4" blade for EDC, give or take. The blade is the same as my normal EDC. As always, right tool for the job and that would obviously not be my choice for a bush/camp knife say. What do you EDC now?

Per above, EDC is a balance to be struck for sure. I tend to favor 3-4" blade for EDC, give or take. The blade is the same as my normal EDC. As always, right tool for the job and that would obviously not be my choice for a bush/camp knife say. What do you EDC now?
Is that blade 3-4”? In that case it would not be too small for me.. I was under the impression it was a sub-3 inch blade. And I agree , right tool for the right job. About 3 1/2 -4” tends to be my sweet spot for edc blade length.

My current edc favorites include a Spyderco Military , Large Sebenza 21 and BM Rukus 2 Auto.

Is that blade 3-4”? In that case it would not be too small for me.. I was under the impression it was a sub-3 inch blade. And I agree , right tool for the right job. About 3 1/2 -4” tends to be my sweet spot for edc blade length.

My current edc favorites include a Spyderco Military , Large Sebenza 21 and BM Rukus 2 Auto.

Did you read my write above? It's 3.5" which is the same as the BM below it as reference, which is a very common EDC blade size.

Did you read my write above? It's 3.5" which is the same as the BM below it as reference, which is a very common EDC blade size.
I skimmed it. I saw “2.63” blade but now see that it was in reference to an Izula II. That plus the short handle led me to believe that it’d be too small for my liking.

I skimmed it. I saw “2.63” blade but now see that it was in reference to an Izula II. That plus the short handle led me to believe that it’d be too small for my liking.

Possible. Fit's my medium sized hands well, but EDC makes for that balance. If I planned to use it more as a utility type, bigger handle would be wanted also. I like that it's thinner even in it's sheath than the BM I carry now with the same blade size in tonto. May not be a good choice for those with largish hands.

If I get a chance I will take a pic holding it so you et al can get a sense of the handle size if that helps.

Last edited:
My new EDC visited Panama with me recently. Was a great little companion while I was hiking around and such.

54517850_10156089068721517_8506430695369867264_n.jpg

Back