New Falo design! Fresh for 2024

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Check it out!

falo-khukuri-kailash-raw-2024-8.jpg

The Falo is one of our longest running offerings and most popular offerings but it has often struggled to distinguish itself from other knives we offer or really capture what's so unique about these rough and raw blacksmith's blades.
On Andrew's last trip to Nepal he had the chance to interact with a few new examples of these working blades and combined the best elements of a few of them into a new falo design for the website.
The blade is shaped entirely through the forging process. The profile, taper and even traditional rooftop spine are all hammered in and left untouched, with only the final edge seeing contact with a grinder allowing for a super detailed and gorgeous forge finish.

falo-khukuri-kailash-raw-2024-5.jpg

It also receives a new handle shape that is deceptively simple. Despite the lack of ornamentation and rough finish this has a unique size specific handle design that is as tightly controlled as that of our modern blades. It's extremely comfortable and gentle in hand but makes use of flaring at front and rear to keep the hand secure with low effort.
Now available in 4 sizes from 8" through to 14" this redesign is going to be able to offer exactly what a lot of people need in a traditional hard working blade.
Check it out on our website today!

falo-khukuri-kailash-raw-2024.jpg

It's an interesting design change. It looks like it'd be more intuitive for those of us more familiar with western fixed blades than khukuri geometry. I've used a few recurve blades, the curvature really acts as a multipling factor when cutting and slicing.

I'm curious about the tapered handle. The way it flares out toward the bolster, is that similar in proportion to the flare of the MK-1 grip? It's a really interesting element.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)
C Crusty_Otter I think if you were to look at the curviest khukuris vs the straightest khukuris you'd find that it's quite polarising and does tend to split the community into two. The most curved blades are often beloved by collectors and those with an interest in history or martial arts while the straighter blades are more popular with the utilitarian crowd and general knife enthusiasts. The smiths and I both agree that straighter blades are a little more intuitive and controllable in fine carving, however I think that high curvature only really becomes an impedment in extreme cases.

The flare towards the front of the bolster is mk1 adjacent but is actually based on some examples from broad 19th century blades. On these blades the bolster flares almost as much as the buttcap itself, with a very rearward handle ring that keeps the hand towards the back of the blade. I'm of the belief that the unusable, flared space this creates at the bolster is intended to help retain the hand from sliding forward in addition to the original handle ring. A more modern example of something similar is on the mk3 which has symmetrical flare at front and rear.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Back