New Field Knife

Now that I've given away all my hunting knives, I figgured I'd better make one for myself. It would be tacky to use the same one two years in a row and heaven forbid that I'd use a Wally world special.
Anyway it has:

Blade..3.75" long, 1/4 thick, full flat grind..5160 steel, forged, triple normalized, triple quenched, cryo in liquid nitrogen, triple tempered at 330.

Small spacers and Butt cap are pewter (homemade) Large spacers are Corian. Main part of the handle is White tail deer shed. I stabalized in Beeswax and Linseed oil.

The large spacer in the front (it really isn't a guard) is made to allow the knife to be used upside down for field dressing. The point of the knife also has a very slight drop for the last inch, just taking it off centerline. This will help prevent stabbing organs during field dressing.

Yes George, I may enter it in the ugly knife contest....but it cuts!

ViewImage.dll

Peter I like it! Good size for the kind of game we see around here, and I really like the handle. That helps me know better how to use some of the sheds I have that are really pretty small. Good one! And thanks for sharing. That was quite a heat treat process, let us know how it works in the field. You shouldn't have to sharpen that knife until next year...

Dave

Peter, that whole ugly knife thing is not going to work for you if you keep this up. It's a great design and execution. Did I see this one on the post showing the knife vice? It would have made a good step by step. Sounds like it whould be very good steel with that treatment routine. Nice job. Terry

Hope you don't mind me asking, but which of your wife's collectables did you vandalize to get the pewter?
;)

Thanks everyone..Blade Runner, the State used to give me a Jefferson cup every time I sneezed hard. I cant think of a better use for them!:D :D

Hey Peter, nice knife! I see that Scandinavian influence. What do you have to keep your liquid nitrogen in? A dewar? I'd really like to add that step to 5160 and 52100 when I use it.

I was afraid some one would ask that Silent. Now boys and girls, don't try this at home, it's only for people with no respect for the law!:D

Take a large coffee can. then take an end of the world can like the ones commercial kitchens use. Go to home depot and get expanding spray foam. Put about 4 inches of foam in the bottom of the big can and set the small one on it so both can tops are level. Foam all arount the inside can. Neatness doesn't count. now foam all around the outside can and on the bottom (make sure it stays flat)

Take a piece of scrap whatever and cut a cicrcle lareger than the can and foam the hell out of it. Go to ARCET at lunchtime and give the kid behind the counter a sixpack to let you pump it yourself. Don't spill it!!!!:yawn: Lasts about 2 days!:eek:

Back