New Folding Knife

Please find below a message I posted in the General Forum.I have as a result of the replies got down to the Delica and Calypso Jnr. Has anyone any thoughts about which would suit my needs best? Als what is a Delica Evo as I have seen one advertised in a UK Hunting Magazine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm a new member to the Forum. I live in Kent in the SE of England. I need some of your knowledge on knives to help me choose a good folding knife. My criteria is as follows:
1)Blade length less than 21/2 to 3 inches
2)Folding with good lock mechanism
3)Non serrated edge
4)As flat as possible
5)Cost no more than $75.00
6)Need to fit in suit pocket unobtrusively during the week
7) One handed opening
At present I use Opinel knives a lot, for skinning, gutting etc as well as general whittling. I did buy a Gerber Chameleon with part serrated edge, but do not like the part serrations and also thing there is a lot of movement in the knife laterally. I have been told Spyderco's are good.
I would value everyone's thoughts please?

The Native is always my top choice, but judging from your criteria, I would definitely get a Calypso Jr. Lightweight This would fit your suit great, is the most lightweight knife in the Spyderco line, is very flat in handle and has a flat-grounded VG-10 blade which cuts like a demon. It is much more attractive looking as a gentleman's folder (for suit) than the Delica. If you really want a nice-looking Calypso Jr., you might want to try the Micarta handle model, but I don't know if there is a considerable difference in weight and "flatness" of overall knife.

If you were to use it additionally for skinning or gutting, or other similar hard-use purposes, I suggest you look at the Wegner Jr. These are not produced anymore but you might find some dealers that still sell them. I don't know whether it would be comfortable for wearing with a suit, but it was specifically designed for hunting purposes (skinning and gutting) and also serves well as a tactical folder.

My choice would definitely be the Calypso Jr. Lightweight (FRN handle) for your purposes.

Hope this helps,

-Flood

------------------
HERMES: "The Applegate Fairbarn is not bad...but for both offense and defense, the Randall 14 is good."
HERMES: (Admiring the Joe Kious Sub-hilt dagger) "I'll take the Joe Kious for a friend."
KNIFE-SELLER: "Excellent choice."

My first choice is the Native. However the Delica and lightweight Calypso Jr. fit your criteria better.

Paul

Richard
the Calypso is a better design and a much better quality item, I'd only get the Delica if weight and slim profile are really important. I'm sure you'd be a happier chap with the Calypso Jnr., a much classier knife.

If you get involved with skinning and matters visceral, you should not overlook the Wegner Jnr. I happen to have a part serrated Wegner Jnr. that I bought new in the UK. Only been carried 3-4 times and it's never been near any dead animals! If you're interested I could be persuaded to part with it, drop me an email.

Iain

------------------
"I'm arm'd with more than complete steel - The justice of my quarrel." Christopher Marlowe

Back