New from KnifeKits.com

Darrel's been working hard at coming up with new kits! Here are the latest two. Right now, the tentative release date is sometime early summer 2002.

The <b>GX6</b> is a folding dagger with a 2.7" AUS-8 cryo treated blade. Handle length is a little over 3.5" and has a SS bolster with a hidden pivot.

The <b>GDC-1000</b> is a small gent's folder with a 2.75" AUS-8 cryo treated blade, with a 3.57" handle that has SS bolsters and a hidden pivot. A template is provided with each kit to put the curves in the bolster.

Both kits start out at $39.95 and go on up depending on handle options. Skill levels for these start at II and go to IV if you deicde to furnish your own handle scales.

Darrel,
Looks like another slam dunk! I really love the GDC-1000!! I wish I had access to a grinder right now!:( :confused: :(

I'll definitely be ordering some of these!

Hi Dex,

Do you know if the handle scales are finished and rounded like in the second picture or does one have to finish them like the Koval kits?

Thanks for any info.

BH

Hi Brain - it is my understanding that the scales are like the Koval 605 in the sense that they come pre-cut but a little oversized. Therefore you need to grind them to final shape and contour them to fit the bolsters.

The gents knife looks just like a Willim Henry I have with a different bolster. How cute!

Sammy
Please take a look a Bob Loveless knives.
This handle design has been out for 30 years or so.
The blade if you look close is totally different than a William Henry.

The intent was not to copy any knife. What we are after when we design kits is the classics with a modern flair.
The blade shows that if you look.

There are thousands of knives by different makers out there with with curvy bolsters and what is referred to as the fruit horn handle design.
A good example is the Smith and Wesson flipper knife. It has the same handle shape on the rear of the handle. Mike has been making this knife for many many years.

I hope this helps explain the history of this style.

Mr. Ralph,

I did not mean to leave such an ambiguous remark earlier. Re-reading that, and your comment, I should probably clarify. I was not commenting on the lineage. Just that it reminded me of a WH I carry with a different bolster. For the price it would be a fun enough folder. Thank you for the information though. I am always looking for that.

Upon closer inspection the knives are different enough. I have a knife from the late 1800's with similar style handle as well. My comment stems from the proportions being visually similar, with mine having a 2.625" blade and yours listed as 2.75. (.125 in a picture with no frame of reference is close for someone like me with an uncalibrated eye :) ). The OAL of mine runs to 6.125" where this one is listed as blade plus handle of 6.32". They both have two screws through a curvy bolster with a hidden pivot. The major difference visually IMO is your blade is not a flat ground spearpoint, it has the swedge off the back.

It is the combination of factors that formed the basis for my statement, not any single design element. My thanks for the edification.

-Sam.

Hey Sammy
Dont want ya to get fired up . Please take the statement as just an explanation as to the design elements of the knife.
As for the size , Knifekits does very well with knives in the 3 inch blade range. Glad you like it. ;)

Firebat.
I never offer any design in a custom knife that is one of my kits.

I feel that would not keep the identity seperate from my customs.

Thanks for asking though!

No problem Mr Ralph,

Nothing you have done has fired me up. I think the sub 3" range is a great daily carry for my needs. I will take a close look at the kit when it comes out.

-Sam.

Firebat - buying the prototypes of these kits are not as fun as buying one and putting it together yourself! :)

Got it I think, thanks.

One more quick question:

Is the three inch EDC shown on your website handmade?

I like the design of the GX6 model!
Does the handle completely cover the blade?

Back