New guy with new knives

Hello all
First let me start with a short introduction. I am 63 year old DAV. I have just recently re-discovered the pleasure of slip joint knives. I have begun a modest collection, mostly GEC and SXM. I also have purchased some Case CV knives to be used as "users". Here's my dilemma...So far, I have been unable to bring myself to use my GEC and SXM knives! I prefer carbon steel and appreciate the beauty of naturally occurring patina. But still, I keep using my Case CV knives. Am i crazy?!?!? Should I just bite the bullet and jump in and do it!
Thanks in advance and best regards to all
Doug

Whatever brings you happiness. It's different for everyone. I don't buy newly manufactured knives unless I intend to use them. I do preserve some antiques but I also use some antique knives.

Depends on why you have the collection. If you plan on reselling the knives in the future, unused mint knives retain a much higher value than used/sharpened knives. I have quite a few knives in my collection that I take out to photograph, or to show to others, but I don't actually carry them or use them.

I also have ones that I bought with the sole intention of using and carrying, and that is what happened to them the first day I bought it.

I've heard the first scratch on a new knife is the hardest. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Hi Doug, You're not alone. I'm sure many of us feel the same, I know I do. I have two solutions. First, don't carry any other knife and you'll be forced to use it or second, try and find a solid second hand user and that way you won't feel bad about using it.

This is a common topic that pops up from time to time. They are your knives, do what you will. But if you will indulge me, I have a story that might help.

We bought my daughter her first big kid's bike for Christmas last year. An older cousin handed her down a bike, but this one was special. It was all her own, she got to pick it out. Purple and teal, with cruiser handlebars, banana seat, and white wall tires. A total girl's bike, it even had streamers!

The moment we put it together my daughter wanted to hit the pavement. There were a few starts and stops as this was her first time without training wheels, but in no time at all she was zipping up and down the street. After she was done I examined her bike to see if it needed any adjustments. Everything was rock solid, but there were scuffs and scratches everywhere. On the handles, the frames, the pedals, the tires, even the seat. What had been a pristine bike a couple of hours earlier was now considerably less so.

My first instinct was one of consternation. However, my daughter was only being a kid and using the bike as it was designed.

That bike is probably my daughter's most treasured possession. She's on it every chance she gets. She loves that thing more than I have valued any knife I've owned, including the customs. Yet she has no hesitation using it. The bike is just an object, an essential object to be sure, but what is important to her are the adventures she has with the bike.

Whenever I find myself holding a material object too dearly, I think of that bike. It helps me keep things in the proper perspective.

That's a great story, kamagong! Perfect mindset to have when you get a new knife that's causing some mixed feelings on whether or not you should use it, or just admire it.

The first few weeks I'll baby my new knife, after that I'll use it more and more for everyday chores.

I would suggest you dip your toe in the water first, to see how it is. Pick out 1 of your GEC/SxM that has the blades you find most useful, and use it. Let it patina, sharpen it . . . USE IT. If you find your enjoyment outweighed your concerns, then all's well and good. If you regret using it, then just lightly polish off the patina, clean 'er up and put it away. Then you'll know for sure, with very little lost.

Very wise post Christian :thumbsup::thumbsup: Objects can bring us foolish grief if we're not careful, something enjoyed is something to be glad about.

My advice to the OP, select one-at random if you like, use it and no other knife for a month. Into the pocket everyday and then see what it looks like, the light wear,patina and character will impress you. Knives actually LOOK better from carrying, they seem to dry up without some use.

Thanks, Will

I used to be of the mindset to only carry knives that were already used. I would never carry new knives or old collectible ones, for fear of ruining them. However, as Christian said, they are just objects. Now I try to enjoy carrying different ones, whether new or rare, and if they were a gift from someone, then carrying them just brings me that much more happiness.

Of course, certain models may not get carried regardless...

To all
Thank you so much for your replys, opinions and advice. I am very glad that I posted the question. You all are right. They are just earthly objects. My original intent for starting my collection was to have some nice traditional knives to pass on to my two sons, that they could pass on ad infinitum. I never had the intent of selling them. So..........as recommended, I am going to grab one, remove it from its packaging and start using it as a knife! And, I feel good about it!
Thanks again
Doug

To all
Thank you so much for your replys, opinions and advice. I am very glad that I posted the question. You all are right. They are just earthly objects. My original intent for starting my collection was to have some nice traditional knives to pass on to my two sons, that they could pass on ad infinitum. I never had the intent of selling them. So..........as recommended, I am going to grab one, remove it from its packaging and start using it as a knife! And, I feel good about it!
Thanks again
Doug

Your sons will value the knives you carried more than the new ones you didn't.

To all
Thanks again
Doug

Mazel tov!

If you don't enjoy the things you have, do you really have anything? :)

Yur not gettin' any younger. I'm actually glad you chose to use one (some, all?).

When I started my buying frenzy, I felt a lot like the OP. Had trouble wrapping my head around the change from pristine. My spending threshold of pain unfortunately grew, 100, 200, 300.

But somewhere along the way, I realized that although many consider some of the models I have as safe queens, they are not really "collectible" in any real monetary way. Therefore, they are really just a consumable commodity. So why not drop my newest and/or current favorite in my pocket? Also, many here helped me realize that any knives passed on, would most likely be more appreciated with something used and enjoyed by me (or family at large). And also shared or gifted by me.

Thinking back, my most loved knife of my fathers was a small stockman that he used well. I somewhat remember it bouncing back and forth from his pocket to mine throughout my teens. And I really wish I had the fixed blade that he brought home from his time in the Navy, WWII. I remember it lingering around the house being well used and even abused by the family. That thing took some hard punches. But disappeared somewhere along the way. Would love it now more than ever, especially in its state of heavy use and disrepair.

So I say, use......enjoy.....share......gift.

I used to be of the mindset to only carry knives that were already used. I would never carry new knives or old collectible ones, for fear of ruining them. However, as Christian said, they are just objects. Now I try to enjoy carrying different ones, whether new or rare, and if they were a gift from someone, then carrying them just brings me that much more happiness.

Of course, certain models may not get carried regardless...

What Glen said sums up my feeling exactly.

Welcome to the porch, new friend.

Do you remember the Indian in "Outlaw Josey .Wales"? When referring to his piece of rock candy he said " it's not for eating it's for looking at". Use, collect, force a patina, keep pristine, give away, but most importantly enjoy!
As far as not using your gec. No one even knows what great eastern cutlery is in my area (nor do they care). If it's not a case or uncle Henry they look at it like it was a screwdriver.

Back