• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? New Guys Selling and Trading on BF?

Would you buy any knife over $100.00 form a brand new member with zero feedback?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 54 43.9%

• Total voters

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Has anyone noticed an influx of new 'members' on the for sale and trade threads?

I feel like i have and I'm not sure what to think of it. On one hand, I'm glad we're bringing new members to the group. On the other hand, it's hard to tell if they can be trusted yet since they are brand new with no history and zero to few trade ratings.
I guess we all had to have a first sale or trade to get started but i remember starting with a gold or knifemaker membership.
I've seen some good deals on knives and the prices were not unrealistically low nor were they online secondary market outrageous either.
I was just hesitant to pull the trigger on $150 to buy a knife from a member who just started here last month.
I had one guy tell me he joined last month just to sell his knife.

Thoughts? Opinions?

No reason to have bad faith on here. I sold my first knife on here after within 3 months of purchasing my membership.
I think his point is more toward the ones that are creating accounts & immediately posting for sale ads...especially when they're for higher dollar knives. I don't mind at $150, or so; but, at $250, with the only posts being a few ads, I'm a bit more wary.

I'm a little hesitant especially on higher dollar knives. But, as long as it's G&S, not a lot of risk for the buyer.

I have also found a lot of new members who are selling often have accounts elsewhere like USN, Reddit, FB, IG, etc and have feedback there. If I'm uncomfortable with the seller, I will ask if they buy/sell on other sites and do a little research.

I know when I first started selling on USN and FB, I would often list my history here and on Reddit as a reference. Easy for people to check into me.

Buy? Yes.
Sell? Maybe.
Trade? Never ever ever.
Interesting take. Buy yes. I get that. PayPal G & S protection but still a hassle.
Sell - Maybe. Hmmm. Never know who the guy is on the other end and what he's up to without a track record.
Trade - Never ever, ever. Could you have the new guy ship first? Then no harm, no foul? If his trade is legit, send yours promptly?

Interesting take. Buy yes. I get that. PayPal G & S protection but still a hassle.
Sell - Maybe. Hmmm. Never know who the guy is on the other end and what he's up to without a track record.
Trade - Never ever, ever. Could you have the new guy ship first? Then no harm, no foul? If his trade is legit, send yours promptly?
As for trading. I have never without knowing the person on here for quite a while. I don't do trades because it is the most risky type of transaction.

I have no problem buying from a new member. If they are brand new(as in today and want a very expensive knife (over $500)I would ask for a money order(actually have to ask all for money orders at the moment , but that's another story). I don't like trading period.

Hesitant maybe but I’m comfortable with PayPal G&S at $150-$200.
Over that I’m not sure.

Somewhat related subject.
I guess it would hinder a new seller more, but I think a buyer is more likely to leave feedback for the seller than a seller is for a buyer. I’ve had about 8 transactions as a buyer and have only received 4 feedbacks.

Pretty much everything about Paypal (and ebay) are designed to be overly protective of the buyer. There is very little risk if you buy, but there is a high risk to sell because Paypal will almost always side with the buyer.

Any buyer could say the item was misrepresented and wants a refund, mail you back a box of tissues and Paypal would still give them a refund.

Reactions: ace
I would. Just use G&S like jp9mm said so you protect yourself thru PP.

Everyone started out with zero rep.

I’m new..bought a new small 21 micarta Insingo. Sold a new Small 21 micarta Insingo. Bought a Hinderer. Looking for another Hinderer...so to answer your question, yes

So as not to skew your poll data, I am not going to vote.

$100 is way out of my price range, so I won't buy a knife that costs that much from anyone, be it from an individual or a store.

I probably would, given all other things about the listing seemed on the up and up. Overall, I see it as a good thing, as the more opportunity for members to get a good deal on a knife they're looking for the better. That being said, forums are a community, so I think it would be good form for new sellers to join in the conversation a bit going forward.

I'm brand new here and everyone starts at O, brother. I don't ever think I'd sell anything out here.. I just will buy what I like and tryyyy and keep it to a minimum.. but if I ever had buyers remorse I hope the few purchases I would make out here before hand with quick payments right after my word would help a sale. I do understand how some grown folks can still be shady, and the hesitantcy that would be from making a purchase regarding to a newbie regarding any sale on any site though. Def understandable.. gotta gain some trust somehow, someway I would take into consideration first

This is just me personally, I don't really have an issue unless it's like you're seeing lately where ultra low post count folks who joined a month or so ago are selling knives in the Customs section and are asking $2,500+. That is a hard no. But a new guy with a $150-$250 knife? I'd do it, hell I HAVE done it and it's worked out. (knock on all wood within reach, including my own friggin' head).

Edit to clarify: I'd buy OR sell to a low/zero feedback member. But trade? Nope. Of course, I don't do trades anyway, too many horror stories there.

Are 3rd party trades a thing in the knife world? It seems like a lot of people have expressed concern about some trades. Sending both items to a knowledgable 3rd person they both trust to inspect prior to remailing would alleviate any doubt. Of course the 3rd party collects a modest fee for their service.

As far as buying selling or trading personally, I would do all 3 if the conditions seemed reasonable. It would depend on the exact circumstances and possibly an opportunity to allow the person to resolve any reservations.

Back