New here just wanting to say hi!

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Leftbehindblades, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Leftbehindblades

Leftbehindblades

Dec 29, 2019
    Hello everyone
    My name is brad and I'm 34 years old. Blacksmithing saved my life!!
    Let me tell you a story! Don't worry I'll keep it short and sweet. I struggled with opioid addiction for 7 years and was in and out of rehabs multiple times but nothing ever worked. Until I was at a faith based rehab in the Appalachian mountains here in North Carolina for 65 days. I picked up a book "forged" by Liam Hoffman a fellow NC blacksmith. And I read that and started studying the craft and I came home built a wonky forge and gathers some scrap steel and started hammering, before I knew it ive been clean 2 years and fell better than I ever have and I owe it all to Liams book, the hammer, and the Anvil. If I hadn't picked up Liam's book I wouldn't be here today. I'm still a beginner but I will never give up!! Thank you for taking a few minutes out of your day to read my story!! God Bless! And forge on!
    Wish to find someone here in North Carolina who has a shop and is willing to let me come sweep the floor in exchange for some wisdom in the form of lessons!!
    Brad Letchworth

2. taldesta

taldesta Retired :-) Time is the Gold Platinum Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Welcome, Brad.

The forums connect many diverse interests over a globe of landscapes here ... and I hope, along with you, that there is a connection here that you find for your passion.

In a world that is long-time coming to value the basics, I learn and learn ... and draw nearer to envying those who weld, forge, and hammer life into reality. Good grief, I would like to know how to weld and even just repair my tools, let alone make them! Good on you.

Leftbehindblades likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Welcome to Blade Forums. I hope your smithing continues to help you stay away from drugs. You seem to want to stay clean and that is the most important facet of the rehab process. I wish you success in this endeavor.