New iMamba Goodness!

Lenny

Gold Member
IMG_4926.jpeg
This just came in yesterday.
I'm absolutely amazed at the beauty and perfection of this knife.
The blade is so sexy I can't stop staring at it.
This is the non-flipper version (obviously) on washers.
One slight problem; I have arthritis in my right hand and the detent is so strong that I can't open it one handed with my thumb.
And the arthritis also prohibits me from doing the middle finger flick.
Additionally, the opening hole is a bit far away from the pivot to make the knife ergonomically compatible with my hand.
Maybe I should have gotten the flipper version on bearings and I wouldn't have had those problems.
Oh well, I'll see if it becomes easier with time.
I'm thinking of taking it apart and polishing the washers to see if that helps.
Anybody have any other suggestions?
Any way to reduce the detent tension.
Thanks all.

Very nice!

I believe the detent will soften up over time, especially with washers. When I get knives like that, I usually sit with them while I’m watching tv and just repeatedly pull them open and closed with two hands. I have a ZT that was stupid stiff at first and took a good two weeks of constant fidgeting until it loosened up enough for one-handed operation. In fact my iMamba flipper that I bought used needed a little bit of time to break in to where I like it. I’d suggest my tv break-in method, and I’ll bet with a little time you’ll be able to thumb-roll it open. Also, some times it just takes a little practice for your thumb to develop the ‘muscle memory’ to operate it easily. I went through a little of that with a couple of my CRK’s, too. Good luck!

It will loosen up as you break it in. I have a flipper on bearings but it was tight to thumb open as well at first.

edit: I also alternated with a drop of KPL, CRK grease off and on for the first several days. The grease slows it down but I felt like it helped that detent track break in a little.

So what do you all use to lube your washer equipped iMambas?
I'm thinking of disassembling mine, polishing the washers slightly, and changing the lube.
And I do have the CRK grease.
Anything I should be cautious of either disassembling or reassembling the iMamba?

I ordered my iMamba with washers but an additional set of bearings was included in the box.
My experience is that the detent feels sligtly stiff on washers and the action limited too. For comparison, on bearings the knife flies open effortless and I can easily flip it open with the tab (obviously) but also with my thumb and with my middle finger (spydie).
On wahers the action can be tuned a bit but IMO it cant get close to bearings.
I advise you to contact AB and have them send you a set if bearings. I'm certain you'll love the knife more with it running on bearings.
The knife is easy to disassemble and reassemble

OK, a little update.
I did contact AB and Ruan is sending a set of bearings for me to try out.
In the mean time I took the knife apart, polished the washers a bit, re-lubed it, and
put it back together with a little less screw tightness.
It's better but I still can't open it with just my thumb. I need to pinch the opening
with my thumb and middle finger to break the detent then roll it open with my thumb.
Not optimum but doable.
I'll try the bearings when they arrive, but I think the real problem is that the opening slot
is just positioned too far away from the pivot for my hand to get enough force behind it to
break the detent. I'll update when I get the bearings.
On the bright side, the thing is a cardboard monster!
It came very sharp, but what I think really helps its cutting performance is the polished blade.
It glides through cardboard like it isn't even there.

Fantastic customer service, all I have ever heard is overwhelmingly positive!

I agree that the opening hole (nice you got the new version!) is a bit far away for a natural slow roll; I have the flipper version and thumbing it open is the more difficult of ways to open the blade.

Fantastic customer service, all I have ever heard is overwhelmingly positive!

I agree that the opening hole (nice you got the new version!) is a bit far away for a natural slow roll; I have the flipper version and thumbing it open is the more difficult of ways to open the blade.
Good to hear.
I guess it's not just me! :)

OK, a little update.
I did contact AB and Ruan is sending a set of bearings for me to try out.
In the mean time I took the knife apart, polished the washers a bit, re-lubed it, and
put it back together with a little less screw tightness.
It's better but I still can't open it with just my thumb. I need to pinch the opening
with my thumb and middle finger to break the detent then roll it open with my thumb.
Not optimum but doable.
I'll try the bearings when they arrive, but I think the real problem is that the opening slot
is just positioned too far away from the pivot for my hand to get enough force behind it to
break the detent. I'll update when I get the bearings.
On the bright side, the thing is a cardboard monster!
It came very sharp, but what I think really helps its cutting performance is the polished blade.
It glides through cardboard like it isn't even there.
Yeah the slot is not located very well for using the thumb (for me), but I can make it work, barely. One thing to be careful of is not putting any pressure on the lock bar while trying to open it, as that will increase the detent.

So I spoke to Ruan again.
He told me how to reduce the detent tension; basically by disassembly and bending the lock bar.
I responded that I don't feel confident in doing that (I could do it but I have no clue how much to bend it).
He then offered to send me a shipping label to return the knife back to him, bend the lock bar the right amount,
and return the knife to me at no charge!
Wow, that's service!
I think I'm just gonna use it and see how the detent ages. It can only weaken, right!?! Like I said, the problem isn't the smoothness of the action, or the detent strength, it's really the position of the cutout slot. Anyway, I can overcome the detent by using both my thumb and middle finger to clear it, then use my thumb to roll the blade the rest of the way open.
It's a little bit of a hassle, but one I can accept seeing how awesome the rest of the knife is.
I'll try the bearings when they arrive but I really want to run it on washers to keep the maintenance to a minimum.

Back