New inventory knife I am considering - Made in Spain, Hen & Rooster Damascus Lockback

I am considering adding the made in Spain, Hen & Rooster Damascus Lockback 3 1/2" closed. 2 1/2" Damascus steel clip blade to my available inventory.

The knife is about 2/3 the size of a Buck 110 and would allow me to use a lot of the smaller stone slabs that are just a bit too small for a Buck 110. Currently I drop all the way down to use of a Case Mini Trapper if a set is too small for a Buck 110.

I have a few questions I would like some feedback and thoughts on as I usually only use made in the USA knives.

Would using a knife made in Spain have any negatives?

Do you like the look of the Damascus they are using for this knife?

Would you consider buying these knives if I added then to my normal rotation?

Attachments

• 2012_01080002.jpg
    2012_01080002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012_01080006.jpg
    2012_01080006.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2012_01080008.jpg
    2012_01080008.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012_01080011.jpg
    2012_01080011.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012_01080219.jpg
    2012_01080219.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Michael,
Even though I would prefer to get USA knives, I believe Hen & Rooster knives from Spain have a good reputation for quality knives. I understand that it is important for you to use the smaller pieces of rare stones, therefore, I would be willing to try one and then evaluate in hand. The Damascus is quite nice.....the Feather Damascus is my favorite. It will be interesting to see other buyers responses to form a complete opinion.
Dennis

Hi Michael -

I would probably stick with the larger Buck, but I don't see anything wrong with that smaller knife.

Are they considerably cheaper than say a Buck 55? Those are just over half the size of a 110.

best regards -

mqqn

The Buck 55 has curved bolsters that are pretty much impossible to get a zero tolerance fit on the stone to bolster metal. The Hen and Rooster also has a thicker bolster that allows for more shaping to fit the thickness of the stone.

Thanks Michael -

The H&R look pretty good in your pictures - really cannot see a big difference from the Bucks after you apply your magic.

best regards -

mqqn

Hi Michael,
I agree with mqqn in that I, personally, would probably stick with the Buck 110. On the other hand, I also understand your need for scale sizes smaller than that of a Buck 110 at times. I am sure there are plenty of Hen & Rooster fans out there. Trying these knives could potentially start a whole new market for you because as you are well aware, collectors are often brand specfic - at least until they actually become Michael Hoover/Art in Stone/Redrummd fans! The Hen & Rooster handle is very similar to the Buck 110, but although I really like damascus, I really don't care for the blade or nail notch shapes. Regardless, I would still buy one if I loved the stone! Try a few and see how they do???

Michael,

I echo mqqn's and Lance's comments almost exactly. I'm not familiar with Hen and Rooster, but this is a good looking knife; of course, you can turn these into master pieces, like you do with pretty much every knife that you get your hands on....

For me, I prefer the larger scale surface area of the 110's over other knives, so the 110's will be my first preference.

Many thanks,

Dave

I think they're quite nice. I'd certainly be proud to have one in my pocket. H&R has a good reputation, and I've always wanted to go to Spain, so.... ;)

Back