New KA-BAR Release - Jarosz Flipper Folders

OFFICIAL_KA-BAR

Today we released two new knives in the Jarosz line, both flipper folders. The 7508 and 7509 are available to order now. They are made of AUS 8A SS, have a G10 handle, and a titanium frame.

YFtSPSl.jpg

They truly look beautiful. I wish they were made in the USA.

They truly look beautiful. I wish they were made in the USA.

At that price, for Taiwanese AUS8 my initial reaction was ...meh. But, G10 and titanium, and a great design... it makes me pause. My other AUS8 blades perform well above their price point.
I'm not lining up, but the country of origin is not a non-starter for me. I will wait to see some reviews and what the price does.

Last edited:
I don’t mind Taiwan, some of my nicest knives have been from there. I like the looks of these, but the blade steel doesn’t really fit with the higher-end materials of the handle. I wonder how they flip?

This was released while I was out of town so I missed it. Just catching up now.

Not really sure what to make of this one. In some ways, I feel like I could totally pass it up and never miss it, and in other ways I feel it has enough merit to warrant another look.

Here's my take, and it's worth every penny you've paid for it... maybe less.

1) I'm assuming that at MSRP of $99, it's going to hit the streets around $70-75. The Globetrotter has MSRP within a dollar of these folders, and tends to sell in the low $70s, so that's where I figure on the price for this.

2) I think the first thing that stands out to everyone is that AUS8A is a funny choice in that price range. That steel is at home on knives like the OKC Rat 1/2 which sell in mid-high $20 range, so putting that steel on a knife 3 times the price of a Rat 1 seems... well... just no. It makes no sense.

3) On the other hand, let's look at the other Kabar folders made in Taiwan. Basically, they are all AUS8A, so it leads me to assume that the conversation in the back rooms went as follows:

Bob-"Let's figure out which steel to use for the new Jarosz flippers."

Joe-"Well, our bean counters decided that the best place to manufacture for price point and quality is Taiwan, so let's pick a steel that our vendor there already uses."

Bob-"OK, well, they're all AUS8A"

Joe-"No. That's not gonna fit the price point."

Bob-"But really... that's the only steel we use from that factory. Dozier's knives use it and the two we already make for Jesse use it."

Joe-"Really, that's all we got? OK fine. Ugh. I guess AUS8A it is."
(Joe then has a good strong drink of bourbon and walks down the hall to tell the marketing department they have to figure out how to sell an AUS8A knife for $70+, and then has another drink of bourbon before getting on the phone to Jesse and telling him that they are going to produce his really elegantly designed knife... in AUS8A.)

4) Of interest, I can't quite figure out any other knives with which to compare it. Usually in that price range makers have upgraded the steel, but the handle material is still fairly basic. Some common examples include the Kershaw Blur in S30v, the Buck Vantage in S30v. I'd even loop the Spyderco Delica in VG10 into that list, although some would argue (likely correctly) that VG10 isn't quite in the same league as S30v.

On the other hand, looking at knives with frame lock, and AUS8A, we're really looking primarily at ESEE's Zancudo and Avispa lineup. Coincidentally (or perhaps not by coincidence?) they are also made in Taiwan. These knives sell in the high $20-low $30 range. But they use steel handles and polymer scale, so I guess the question as far as value is "Is a Ti frame, and G10 scale worth the extra $40?" since that's really the only significant difference.

5) Both ESEE's folders and the Ontario folders all come in D2 steel starting in the mid $30 price point. So I guess, once again the question is going to be whether the upgraded handle material is worth the extra $35-40, especially considering the significant downgrade in blade steel. Also, if those guys can get D2 to Taiwan to make their blades, why couldn't Kabar?!?!?!?

6) Where else are you going to find a Ti frame lock for $70-75? I can't think of one. This is really a fantastic option.

Ultimately, I don't know where I stand. Very cool to get Ti and G10 frame lock in that price point, but damn if the steel doesn't kill it. It's like using Patron to make a tequila sunrise, but using Minute Maid from concentrate orange juice as the mix-in.

One thing for certain- had they made the blade with D2, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We'd all be busy crashing knife retailer's websites with orders.

Oh, and P.S.- I love the look of these knives. They are graceful and a the same time I can tell that they'd be great working knives. Especially that Wharncliffe.

OFFICIAL_KA-BAR OFFICIAL_KA-BAR - I'd love a little insight on the AUS8a blade steel choice. If I can figure out that the most direct competition is getting D2 into their very similarly constructed knives from Taiwan, that fact cannot have escaped the folks at Kabar who actually do this for a living. Is there a reason why AUS8A got the nod?

Back