New kids on the block - Amherst Cutlery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had some very nice stag and some unusual patterns. The daddy barlow was interesting and they told me they had plans for the smaller one (had a razor as the main) as a standard barlow pattern. The two blades were a little thick (at least to me), and IIRC there were no half stops (Gus, help me out). I liked the idea of making runs of 50 to 100.

A larger peanut was mentioned as many folks must have inundated them with requests :)

I spent a good deal of time with the folks from Amherst and I can tell you that they are both friendly and passionate about their knives.

I saw some very attractive patterns (and great scale material) running the gamut from large to small.

The stag was virtually uniformly excellent and the texture and colors of the various ivories were excellent as well.

Tim is a passionate wood carver and cares a great deal about delivering knives that will cut. (How refreshing!)

Steels will range from D2 to stainless (ATS-34 clones and such).

I'll be looking forward to Amherst's future development and participation in both the marketplace and on these forums. I think they are on the right track and have found a good niche to fill.

I really enjoyed meeting Tim and his dad and like Blues spent a lot of time with them.
They very much appreciated all the input that was given.

No did not see any half stops. They have a whole bunch of the finest stag I saw at the show (that was not on a knife) stashed away and had a little with them.

Tim is passionate about producing high quality knives at a decent price. They are not going to be cheap, at the same time they are not taking shortcuts that will allow them to be cheap.

I am excited about this company, their main push is toward quality and bringing back some old patterns that have not been produced in decades. Tim is a pretty studious guy so I think we are going to see some very unusual patterns on occasion. By unusual I mean things we we are not seeing in production knives currently. I am even more excited about the passion and quality of the people involved. Another plus is that Tim is a wood-carver, so my bet is we are going to see some great edges when they get things going.

I came home with one of the handmade prototypes. Very clean knife inside and out with a taste of the very nice stag they have on hand as well as some well done engraving. Blade action and finish is superb. Not sure who the makers were that were involved with the prototypes, but they know what they are doing.

These pictures of the knife come from the Amherst web site. I am very happy with it, but the people behind the knives are what really has me excited.

picture.php

picture.php

4.jpg

Bastid, I think they should hire you as director of quality control.

I don't know about that. I could drive them under with my talk about polished swedges and relieved liners, but if they could find a way to do that cost effectively watch out; I might have to resign from my forum job! :D.

The knife came with a pocket clip leather sheath that is just as impressive as the knife. It is very well made, secures the knife without question while allowing easy access via a pinch of the thumb and forefinger.

Last edited:
Gus, that looks like the one I was admiring when we were over at the Amherst table.. Our friend Waynorth got the other one I was admiring. (I'll let him show it off when he gets home.)

Nice to know that my own two picks ended up in the pockets of my two astute friends! :cool::thumbup:

The coolest thing is that we are eventually going to see this type of quality stag from them for quite a while.

I think I am having a bad effect on my brother Blues. This one is a small knife, but it still has those "Blues lines of elegance". :D.

I think I am having a bad effect on my brother Blues. This one is a small knife, but it still has those "Blues lines of elegance". :D.

Yeah, Gus, you just might be. What in the world could I have been thinking? :eek: Well, at least I caught myself before actually forking over the cash! ;)

Honestly though, some of those little ones were honeys and had I not been a little over what I had allocated for the show at that point, I'm pretty sure I'd have bitten. :cool:

After Blues said it was past his budget, I bought an interior Mammoth-handled swayback he had admired (contributing to the total blowout of My budget!). I will post it as soon as the mail brings it. I had too many knives to risk them in the bellies of two separate airplanes, so sent them to myself. (Really, I just like opening mail! And parenthetical remarks:p!)
Had a good talk with Tim as well, and like his attitude toward well made traditional patterns. It is another dimension to Tony Bose's philosphy, if you think about it. Reviving artistic patterns, and making them with some of the incredible materials and technology that we currently have available.
I think we'll see amazing stuff from these guys!

Any idea when production will start? Basic price range?

They are some very nice looking knives and I really like what I'm hearing about the people behind the operation.

Crown Jack 1 looks rather inviting... even (dare I say) seductive... yeah, thanks for the info.

I spent too much tome running around after the grandkids.

Papaw you got to see this.

Papaw you got to see that.

That I did not get to spend any time at their table. Butif bastid and blues say they look good then I'll have to take their word for it. ( just about knives I've seen bastid's taste in goats :p )

The grandson did order his first custom made to order knife this show. So all in all not a bad weekend.

The grandson did order his first custom made to order knife this show. So all in all not a bad weekend.

Sounds like a great weekend to me. :)

We need to stay in touch a little better! Only saw you at dinner and we had all of Ol' Mill between us most of the time.:grumpy:

Friends,

I just got off of the phone with the folks at Amherst. Today I will have a gentlemans folder (3rd Picture), and a Coffin Jack (4th Picture), mailed out to me. Wish I could have been at the BladeShow to talk with Tim, and see the rest of his wares, but they were very good dealing with..over the phone! :thumbup:

Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back