New knife,I just finished up

JEEEZ this is realy getting old. Once again, I'm drawn into another Nathan thread. Beleive me, this is the last thing I want to be doing right now:barf:

Several points have been made here, some dead on, some way off target.

First off......I don't have a DIRECT problem with Nathan producing knives that have my style or influence, etc. I just thought that long before this point, he would have moved on. This has been discussed in other Nathan threads over and over again. Personally, I don't see him as competition or profiting from my designs, my attempts at getting him to stop were for his own good. I've tried for months to convey to him that this is not in his best interest as a new maker. The feedback he's getting because of it is mostly less than favorable. Why a new maker would want to start out this way is beyond my comprehension. :confused: My friends and customers that collect and purchase my knives see it a little differently, I can understand that as well. For me, there is more to consider and at stake than initially meets the eye. As a full time maker, this entire situation puts me in a very uncomfortable position. Like I said, it's getting REEEEEEAL OLD.

Over the past months, Nathan has assured me that he's going in his own direction, etc., etc., etc. Several days ago, I find my Email box stuffed with directions to this thread and the knife pictured above. :rolleyes: With all good intentions, I've always gone out of my way to help Nathan. I must say that for my time spent with him, it's frustrating. Nothing more, nothing less, just frustrating. For someone in search of is his own direction, posting the knife above made me realize it's a lost cause.

Next point.....

Mr. Cooper,

While I apreciate you thoughts in this matter, I feel all but one was right on. The point about the Credit Card Knives was a completely different issue. The CC Knives are not hand made customs. They were manufactured using modern CNC equipment. Even the eges are milled on them. There was no borrowing of styling cues with that fiasco. It was a direct, MANUFACTURED copy made for one reason only, to make money.

Gouge mentioned......

Change the grind and it would be differant makers look, change the grip and it would be another makers look. Is there really anything new under the sun?
Let me tell you, I wish I had a dollar for every design I trashed because it looked like someone elses work. Every knifemaker gets to the point where the actual construction of the knives comes naturally. Coming up with new, popular designs is the hardest part of this business. Is there really anything new under the sun? NO!! That IS the real challenge of knifemaking.

The other forum......

I know this is a sticky sitution, I don't want to start another interforum war.

People there got sick and tired of threads like this one. Polite and positive criticism had absolutely no effect and was not very well taken. Nothing positive ever came out of them.

As Lifter mentioned, there are also many other issues involved, beyond the situation with my knives.

Banning someone, especially a knifemaker is not something that's done without much consideration and reasoning.

Ceya....

I sincerely wish you success with this undertaking. It would be in EVERYONES best interest if this was the LAST thread of this nature!!

Hate to bring back up the nastiness and apologies above, but I would like to comment on the knife, as I am guessing was originally intended.

To my sense of asthetics, it would look better sans the slight drop point. Also is your father's favorite color green? Why only one Mosaic pin? And is that Corian?

Lastly, I acknowledge there is a definite resemblance/inspiration/cloning (call it what you want, I have no interest in arguments over semantics) to the Blackwood Henchman.

What a battle, Challenge, Response, third hand information, ... All the elements of a great online war.

I just have to throw in my 2 cents:

Nathan: I'm going to take you at face value. You're a new maker. You are trying new things. You use design stuff on your beginning knives you are not selling. I really don't see a problem. You're proud of your achievements so far.

Neil, as a side issue but related, your stuff is covered under copyright law. No problem. However, it is considered a common courtesy to include copyright notices. Looking at your website I couldn't find a copyright notice on any of your knife pictures nor for the website itself. Prior to 1989, technically, your works (Knives, website, pictures) would not be copyrighted without the designation, FWIW. But since the Berne Convention it's not required, but still suggested.

Heck, even the web page you are reading now has a notice at the bottom.

For more information on copyrights:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

So, legally it isn't a must and it really doesn't make cloning right or wrong. It's just a friendly suggestion that most web designers incorporate. Almost all knife sites include a notice regardless of country. Todd Begg, Broadwell, Jason Cutter, Rob Brown, etc.

Steve

Excellent points, Mr. Blackwood. We need to move on. Nathan, get your **** together, and come up with something from your heart !!!
You have a lot of talent. I know you can do it :)

I hear you,they are already in the works.:)
a very new and wiser maker I have become over this
I will post some work for all to see.
Nathan

Originally posted by Nathan House
Lee
Everything has been said that needs to be said.
it is time to let sleeping dogs sleep

things have been said...but have they been heard ? big difference....

I look forward to seeing the new designs you mentioned a short while back........keep in mind CF and S30V is cool. :cool:

Back