New knife I plan to use and carry in my inventory - The Buck 501 Squire

I couple of months ago I was considering new styles of knives to use for smaller gem grade stone, specifically for when the slabs are too small for a Buck 110 or long enough for a Case Trapper. I had even posted about the Damascus Hen and Rooster knife that is made in Spain.

I decided to not go outside of the USA for knives and since that time I have found Eastwind Diamond Abrasives will custom make some of the sanding drums I need for me. They are being made with TRIPLE the usual diamond content and cut EXTREMELY fast. This allows me to carve a better ramp on thin and wide bolsters, specifically ones such as are on the Large Case Trappers, The front bolster on the Case Seahorse and the knife I have decided to add to my inventory instead of the Spanish Hen and Rooster - The Buck 501 Squire.

The Buck 501 Squire has wide and thin bolsters so I have not really been satisified with the results in previous attempts to use this knife. However, with the new custom made sanding wheels I can make the stone to metal ramps very nicely. I bought just a few of the 501's to test and most of these are going to be in Shattuckite. I still will be limited to using opaque and strong stone due to thin bolsters but these should be beautiful.

Another really great aspect from the cost perspective is the scales are a "v" shape. These are really easy for me and I can do one of these knives in about 4 hours. This will keep the cost for top grade stone knives at probably about half what I need to charge for a Buck 110 and I can still make about $20 an hour for ones I put up on my website. I won't get rich but if I can sell enough of these I can keep working and buying the rare and exotic stone I really love to work with!

Here are the first three and I plan to put them on my website at $199.99. Hopefully this will be a price point that could bring in some new collectors and keep me busy doing what I love.....

Attachments

• Redrummd 1404PCS B.jpg
    Redrummd 1404PCS B.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Redrummd 1405PCS B.jpg
    Redrummd 1405PCS B.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Redrummd 1406PCS B.jpg
    Redrummd 1406PCS B.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Those look amazing! I'm sure that's a perfect price point to have all of those scooped up right away!

Mike,

Thanks for selling me one of these Buck 501 Squire Shattuckites. You know that I really like this stone (4th one now) and I am anxious to get a 501 Squire in hand to see how it compares with my favorite Buck 110. I hope the Buck 501's are a successful option for your use of the stone pieces that are not quite large enough for a Buck 110. I will let you know feedback on the Buck 501 when I receive it.

Loyal Customer,
Dennis

Mike,

Got back in town today to get my first look at the Buck 501 Squire with Shattuckite scales. Pleasantly surprised at this medium sized knife and it looks much better in hand than the photos. I will be interested in more Buck 501's as it is really desirable. I thank you again for your premium craftsmanship and the beautiful Shattuckite scales. Another perfect piece of Art...........Thank You for all your talents and desire for perfection.

Dennis

Mike,

Got back in town today to get my first look at the Buck 501 Squire with Shattuckite scales. Pleasantly surprised at this medium sized knife and it looks much better in hand than the photos. I will be interested in more Buck 501's as it is really desirable. I thank you again for your premium craftsmanship and the beautiful Shattuckite scales. Another perfect piece of Art...........Thank You for all your talents and desire for perfection.

Dennis

Michael,

Have you ever considered occasionaly posting some of your work on the Buck sub-forum? I don't visit there a lot, but I think that would be a crowd that would really appreciate your work. Just a thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the 501s. The 110s are gorgeous, but I don't carry one much now that I work in an office. A nice 501, on the other hand, would be really tempting.

popedandy -

I do post pictures occasionally in the Sunday picture thread. As a seller it violates the website rules to post links to actual knives for sale so the links in my signature line are really as close as it is allowed to go in the way of site advertising.

This seller forum area is the only location it is approved to put links and to "advertise" ones own works.

Since I actually moved over to being a real business I spend most of my spare time in my shop or tracking down rare stone to use.....

Back