New Member hoping to learn.

New member here. I am fine with going by just Wolf here in the online world. I’m a 20 year old southern U.S. college student and love knives and guns but have found knives are a bit “cheaper” to get into and have more everyday uses then a self defense/target weapon. I just bought my first personal chefs knife, just a Victorinox Fribox chefs knife that I feel I can use to learn how to maintain a kitchen knife, and keep a sharp edge on it, etc. I have a cheap spring assisted knife I got from a knife show that I carry as my EDC when not on my university campus, that I use for breaking boxes down etc. College student budget but hoping to expand my knowledge and more specifically get some more concrete knowledge I can trust if anyone is up to give a little advice

Read and pay attention to why some knives sell for more than others that seem similar. Garage sales are a hit or miss but the price is usually right when you find one you like. Knowledge is power. Welcome to Blade Forums

Welcome! Lots of information here. I'm still new myself.

For personal (EDC) use you will just have to see what suits your needs best. It's different styles of knives. I like the flippers best. Tons of brands. Next is budget. Do you want to spend 200 or more on a knife or under 100 lol.

Good luck and everyone will chime in to help you. Not sure how it works on your chefs knife but I use a Ken onion work sharp tool on my knives for butchering and processing meat. I process beef all winter long. Puts a heck of a edge on my Victorinox knives.

Well then... welcome to BF! You're starting at the same point where every one of us started... square one. Nobody's born knowing about knives. We just start the journey and learn as we go. Don't know what kind of advice I can give you, but I can say that there are some very good, interesting, and useful budget-priced knives available from companies like Buck, Ka-Bar, Kershaw, and others. They're well made, they're useful, and they won't break the bank. Another option is to visit the pawn shops in your area. Sometimes you find a silk purse priced like a sow's ear.

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to BF, Wolf.

Be prepared to open your mind and your wallet. This rabbit hole has no bottom...information wise and knife possibilities.
As Jody744 Jody744 said already, read lots, and then read lots more. :) Dive in...information is the perfect starting point when on a college students budget.

Enjoy your stay here a Bladeforums!

Welcome to BF, Wolf.

Be prepared to open your mind and your wallet. This rabbit hole has no bottom...information wise and knife possibilities.
As Jody744 Jody744 said already, read lots, and then read lots more. :) Dive in...information is the perfect starting point when on a college students budget.

Enjoy your stay here a Bladeforums!
Thank you. I’m hoping to learn some definitive knowledge here as dives into the a basic google search can lead to hours of research and uncertainty into what’s the best choice. Especially for knife caretaking and sharpening seems like

Welcome! Lots of information here. I'm still new myself.

For personal (EDC) use you will just have to see what suits your needs best. It's different styles of knives. I like the flippers best. Tons of brands. Next is budget. Do you want to spend 200 or more on a knife or under 100 lol.

Good luck and everyone will chime in to help you. Not sure how it works on your chefs knife but I use a Ken onion work sharp tool on my knives for butchering and processing meat. I process beef all winter long. Puts a heck of a edge on my Victorinox knives.
Thanks and for sure. I’m definitely a more basic person, dad has always carried a basic old timers little 3 blade pocket knife. I enjoy the bigger spring assisted or one hand opening knives with 1.5-2.5 inch blade especially those with emergency EDC features like glass breaker tip and seatbelt cutter. And not to sound bad but always a sucker for a big 5-8 incher for outdoors and camping.

Tons of good info here..... Bladeforums impresses me More, the deeper I dig. So far everyone I have had contact with have been great.... You are in a good place.

The hardest part of finding, carrying, using knives is learning what you want. I know budget Isn't always cheaper.

If you jump into the woods/bushcraft/camping knife area...?
Becker
Esee
L.T. Wright are a few companies that you get what you pay for. All three are ones you can Trust for dependability.
(ranked lowest cost to increasingly higher)

There are going to be a Bunch of Other choices, but they are going to hurt your wallet more...

If you want to start with a basic flipper that's very well rounded look at the civivi elementum for 50 bucks. You really can't go wrong with it. I spent 345 hours watching the same reviews on it. To me that should be the first flipper anyone owns.

I recently ordered the qsp hawk in s35vn(type of metal for blade). S35vn is a good well rounded blade metal.

It's two types of pocket carry also. You have gentlemen's which is slim and fancy lol. Then you have the big chunky blades people use. ZT makes bigger bulky models for that.

I value pocket space so I like the slim ones like the kizer clutch. 150 bucks. Check that model out and the civivi elementum. You won't be sorry.

I'll save the axe and machetes for camping with side arms

Welcome to the team! You’ll find no shortage of knife nuts here. Let folks here know if you’re interested in a particular style or brand of knife.

Warmest of welcomes:)

I was literally where you are when I joined. 21 year old College kid with a shoestring budget but had always had an interest in all things sharp and pointy.

The amount of knowledge I have gained from BFC has not only furthered my education on knives but also really helped shape me as I grew from a young man into...well, we'll call it a more seasoned and mature young man;)

As I round the bend of 40 this week, I can't help but appreciate all the fine folks I have been so fortunate to meet and call friends on this board.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask away. Lots of very learned folks here eager to help. Don't be shy and don't feel any hesitation to ask about anything here.

I remember when I first joined, I wanted to buy a khukuri. I contacted several manufacturers via email but the only one who wrote me back (within minutes) was Uncle Bill Martino of Himalayan Imports. I must have asked him 7 different questions over as many emails about a $70 khukuri. I apologized but told him the only reason I had so many questions was that I was a poor college kid and $70 was pretty much me borrowing from Peter to pay Paul for about a year's worth of spending cash on a knife. Uncle Bill told me, "Don't worry about it so much. One day you will graduate and be rich. The cost of this knife won't matter so much then, but it will still serve you well if you take care of it."
Bill passed on over 15 years ago, and I did graduate (still working on that "rich" part he promised ;)). However, I still have that khuk. It still serves me well (along with a collection of about 100 more), and I am super proud to be a member of this community all these years later.

My suggestion is: Find a balance that works for where you are in life. Don't get stuck on garbage beater knives forever, or else you'll miss out on the real joy of this hobby. However, don't feel the NEED to plunk down $450 on a Chris Reeve Sebenza right out of the gates. There are a ton of quality knives on a college budget. As yout rarning power improves, so will taste in knives when it comes to budget. Even still, don't take this as meaning it is a race to the top and mo' is betta. Some guys top out spending less than $100 on a knife. Some guys edc a $4,000 custom without batting an eye.

Go slow, read, ask, and enjoy life where you are right now. Enjoy what you can afford and never forget to take the opportunity to use the time you have now to go out and use your knife collection.

Once again, welcome:)

Yes, Steely_Gunz Steely_Gunz has excellent advice. The real joy of collecting is using some of your collection and experiencing the magic of your beloved cutting tool.
This thread needs some photos...
D01A1DF0-5180-4789-9302-C34CCCC36344.jpeg

Enjoy what you have too, sometimes there is a race to get the latest and greatest new thing or higher priced items, and you let perfectly good knives stay too long in the drawer, do not be afraid to use them. If they meet your needs, use them. I spent too much time and money building the collection that I have not enjoyed what I got, via usage, sharpening, going on adventures, etc. I
have also found some of the basic knives with decent quality really meet my EDC needs fine, not super fancy but nice to grab in a pinch out the door. Best advice already given, read up, ask questions, and definitely show the knives, in use or what they accomplished is always a good thing, the term no pics or it did not happen is just our excuse to say we like to see them. :p Lastly, do not take things too personally, every once in a while we get cranky......and you know who you are out there.....but enjoy the journey.....and the sickness, there may be no cure. Aways check out the exchange for good bargains and great work; and do not buy clones, that is like hurting yourself and others. Oh yeah, welcome! Glad to have you. :D

Last edited:
Back