New Member: Q&..?A?

Hello Folks!
I found this forum searching the intranet for "how to" information on making custom bone handles for knives. I have always had an appreciation for knives; more so than the firearms I collected in past years. I remember as a child my uncle who was a knife collector/dealer would always roll out his sleeves of folding knives to show me. It has been an interest and love affair since.
I must admit I know nothing of the craft or skill of custom knife making. Although it is something I'd love to do, I've always felt it was something passed down, or aquired on an apprentice level....and not self taught or learned.
However, I am taking on a project...although not one of a purist nature, it will be my first piece. I have a set or rack from a whitetail, I kept it because I had always had a thing for bone handled knives. And the fit-to-hand quality of the base of the antler was great.
I recently found an old knife (tossing some roofing material out at the local landfill) it is made by the Krusius Brothers of Germany of Solingen steel with a blade length of approximately 4 1/2 inches. It was lying on the ground when I noticed it, and I tossed it in my truck bed. It had the top part of the handle broken off at the threads, the pommel was gone and the majority of the leather spacers were in bad shape. So I stripped them off (keeping them).
The blade was a little rusted (surface) but no major pitting at all.
I used some fine grit sand paper to remove the surface rust and brighten it up (should I have done that?).
What I would like to do, is polish the blade to remove small pits or scratches, ect. And return it to a decent shine. And work this piece of deer antler to fashion a handle.
I've been in western Canada now for 5 years, and would like to have this as a reminder of my time here. And to give to my little boy when he's older.
Is there any advise or recomendations any of you may have for me on getting this project going? What I really need to know is what materials to use to polish the blade and work the bone for the handle.

Thanks in advance, folks.

welcome aboard shamas
you've come to the right place.
more of the guys will chime in here I'm sure..
this is my site i started for a lot of information by these formites and more
http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking.html
and there is a ton of it all over these and other forums
but you won't find nicer guys and gals than here.. :)

shamas said:
Hello Folks!
I must admit I know nothing of the craft or skill of custom knife making. Although it is something I'd love to do, I've always felt it was something passed down, or aquired on an apprentice level....and not self taught or learned.

Welcome to Bladeforums!:D
I didn't start making knives till I was 36 +/-, before the internet. I just read everything I could on the subject, and put the steel to the wheel.
It's easier if you have a mentor, but not necessary.

The more you read, the less the mystery, and the better your foundation will be.

I'd recommend "How To Make Knives" by Richard Barney, and Robert Loveless as a start. It's available from knifemakers supply houses, or www.amazon.com .

The blade was a little rusted (surface) but no major pitting at all.
I used some fine grit sand paper to remove the surface rust and brighten it up (should I have done that?).
What I would like to do, is polish the blade to remove small pits or scratches, ect. And return it to a decent shine.

You did exactly the right thing, if you want it more shiney then just move up to even finer grits, auto parts stores are a good sourse of fine grits, they'll often have up to 2000. Sand in straight lines, not circular, and as you move up in grits change direction so you cross your last grits lines. That's so you can tell when you removed all the previous scratches. For a satiny finish 600 grit is common, for mirror you'll want to go to at least 1000, maybe more, and probably use a buffer when done.

I'm not experienced with antlers so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

I appreciate the feedback, fellas'. Great site, Dan, lotsa good info there on finishing.
AwP: It's good to hear that I hadn't (until this afternoon) yet made a mistake. I guess I shouldn't have used the belt sander. now I've made more work for myself. And I don't know if I can repair the damage I've done. I should have waited and gotten the right stuff for the job. I may still be able to use it. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!!

Back