New member with new blades

Good day everyone. I wanted to say hello and post some pics of my first HI blades.
I got a 16.5 inch 30.5oz CAK
16 in 20.5oz BDC
And a 11.5 in 9.5oz little BDC
I really like them and all I can think about is getting more. My next consideration is a 18in M43. It’s weight is the only thing giving me pause. It’s 35oz… I’m a big guy and heavy things don’t bother me much but does that sound like a good all around chopper/blade to y’all? One thing is that it will also match my Father and Son BDC. Kinda like a Big Pappa, Father and Son. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone.

HI blades can be highly addictive but not harmful in any way unless of course you aren't careful in their use.
I seldom consider the weights, if they look nice and sing to me I try for them. If they are too heavy I just enjoy them, use them till I get tired and then grab a lighter one if needed.
Many I find so nice when they arrive that I don't use them at all, just savor them and hold them on a regular basis.
Welcome to the forum and the addiction. You won't find a better business person to deal with than Yangdu. If anybody can make everybody completely happy, it is her.

HI blades can be highly addictive but not harmful in any way unless of course you aren't careful in their use.
I seldom consider the weights, if they look nice and sing to me I try for them. If they are too heavy I just enjoy them, use them till I get tired and then grab a lighter one if needed.
Many I find so nice when they arrive that I don't use them at all, just savor them and hold them on a regular basis.
Welcome to the forum and the addiction. You won't find a better business person to deal with than Yangdu. If anybody can make everybody completely happy, it is her.
Thanks for the advice. I remember when I started backpacking I loved it. Than ultra lightweight backpacking became popular and you had to weigh everting and it was like an obsession to get the lightest weight. That was the focus, not the enjoyment of being outdoors.
Your advice made me think of that. When I stopped making weight the most important thing, I enjoyed being outside and hiking again. I look forward to building my collection and enjoying these tools that have served people for centuries. It’s a collection that can actually be useful and maybe even save ones life someday. Thanks again for the reply.

It's fun also to explore the history of these knives and the Nepal region too. Learned a lot from this forum and still have tons more to learn. Still amazes me that they can produce these fine blades under the conditions they work in. Things I couldn't reproduce with modern machinery if I knew how to operate modern machinery.

Well, I can see that there's no saving you, and you're pretty much doomed. Unless, of course, you purchase at least 1 khuk per month. Happened to me, so I can sympathize.

I dug out (one of) my 18" WWII khuks, which weighs about the same as the M43 that you're considering. For me, at almost 70 years (still in fine shape, just ask me. Don't ask anyone else, they may get it wrong), it's too heavy to carry around to use as a general purpose chopper. For the camp, sure. Makes a great, and far more interesting, alternative to a hatchet. For trail clearing over the long haul, forget it, just too heavy. The 16.5" WWII is perfect for it.

Use the CAK that you bought for a while. It's a beauty, and its weight isn't THAT far off from the M43. It should give you a good idea of whether you would be happy with using it as an EDC on a hike.

I love M43s. Don't remember how many I have (see "70 years", above), but it's always been one of my favorite khuks, along with the Malla, WWII, AK,... well, never mind.

Welcome, and happy chopping.

Joe

I found a 18in 26oz M43 that will match my BDCs perfectly. It should be here soon! I’ll post a pic when I get it. I figured it would be good since I already have a heavy chopper with the CAK. Anyone ever sharpened and use the Karda? I’d like to get it sharp and use it.

Welcome and congratulations, JayJay.

You don't need the weight on the trails; you're not going to build a cabin. You will cut campfire, split limbs,, shave sticks for various purposes. Give serious consideration to Aardvark's suggestions, he's made substantial progress in his acquisition phobia.

You might try and master what you've got, note the short-comings, and then try to find a blade that addresses those.

Be safe and well.

I found a 18in 26oz M43 that will match my BDCs perfectly. It should be here soon! I’ll post a pic when I get it. I figured it would be good since I already have a heavy chopper with the CAK. Anyone ever sharpened and use the Karda? I’d like to get it sharp and use it.
I'm glad you found the 26 oz M43. I was going to post that the 18 inch M43s come as light as 28 oz, but you did even better. The larger lesson is that every model of HI blade comes in a variety of weights (and lengths), since they are hand made with traditional methods. Sometimes the end-weight just depends on which piece of steel the kami picks up, since thickness varies, fullers can be deeper or more shallow, etc. I don't know if you've been going by what is posted at the HI online store, but that is mostly an archive -- doesn't have all the models, and doesn't show the great variety of weights for each model. This forum and Yangdu's Deals Of The Day is where all the good stuff is found. Or you can email Yangdu any time if you have questions or want a particular model. Some models and sizes are available often, and some are much less frequent. You can also request a special order from Yangdu, but that usually involves a substantial wait.

If you decide to get one of the super-heavy models (AK, Bonecutter, GRS) and the weight is too much, consider getting a 15" version instead of 18". It will weigh less and the center of gravity will be closer to your hand. A 15" version will be good for just about anything except chopping down a big tree, and even that if you're very patient.

I have a couple of kardas that I keep sharpened for small tasks around the house. I sharpen them with a fine file. There is a huge difference in size among kardas. The really small ones aren't good for much unless you have very small hands or need a nail file. The larger ones can be quite useful, as long as you can get enough of a grip on the handle. I'm talking about the kind of karda that often comes with a khukuri and fits in the same sheath. There is also a much larger version called a Kumar Karda that is a standalone knife with its own sheath. Those can be as large as 14" or even more in my experience, and some of them have fancy carved or checkered handles.

Here are pics of two Kumar Kardas. The first one is by Bura Kami, 13" overall length with a carved handle made of Chandan wood, which is now a protected species that can't be exported from Nepal. The knife was made before the wood became protected. The second is by Sher Kami, 15.5" overall length with an unusual handle shape (for a Kumar Karda) and blade curvature.

KumarKarda13in-BuraDil13oz-Chandan-01r.JPG KumarKarda15.5in-Sher20oz-02.JPG

Last edited:
I'm glad you found the 26 oz M43. I was going to post that the 18 inch M43s come as light as 28 oz, but you did even better. The larger lesson is that every model of HI blade comes in a variety of weights (and lengths), since they are hand made with traditional methods. Sometimes the end-weight just depends on which piece of steel the kami picks up, since thickness varies, fullers can be deeper or more shallow, etc. I don't know if you've been going by what is posted at the HI online store, but that is mostly an archive -- doesn't have all the models, and doesn't show the great variety of weights for each model. This forum and Yangdu's Deals Of The Day is where all the good stuff is found. Or you can email Yangdu any time if you have questions or want a particular model. Some models and sizes are available often, and some are much less frequent. You can also request a special order from Yangdu, but that usually involves a substantial wait.

If you decide to get one of the super-heavy models (AK, Bonecutter, GRS) and the weight is too much, consider getting a 15" version instead of 18". It will weigh less and the center of gravity will be closer to your hand. A 15" version will be good for just about anything except chopping down a big tree, and even that if you're very patient.

I have a couple of kardas that I keep sharpened for small tasks around the house. I sharpen them with a fine file. There is a huge difference in size among kardas. The really small ones aren't good for much unless you have very small hands or need a nail file. The larger ones can be quite useful, as long as you can get enough of a grip on the handle. I'm talking about the kind of karda that often comes with a khukuri and fits in the same sheath. There is also a much larger version called a Kumar Karda that is a standalone knife with its own sheath. Those can be as large as 14" or even more in my experience, and some of them have fancy carved or checkered handles.

Here are pics of two Kumar Kardas. The first one is by Bura Kami, 13" overall length with a carved handle made of Chandan wood, which is now a protected species that can't be exported from Nepal. The knife was made before the wood became protects. The second is by Sher Kami, 15.5" overall length with an unusual handle shape (for a Kumar Karda) and blade curvature.

View attachment 1621355 View attachment 1621361
Thanks for the info. It definitely helps talking Yangdu and getting advice and info on inventory. I’m really enjoying the traditional, multi-use these blades have. I’m going to try to get my kardas sharp mainly to have a smaller knife that’s carried in the same sheath.
Im also trying to think of a way to attach a different knife that might be a little bigger than the karda that comes with it, maybe a small mora. I might see if a knife can fit in the same spot or find a way to attach it to the outside. Don’t know yet…

Nice knives Jay Jay. Big, medium, and small. I really like some of those smaller khuks like your BDC. 12-14 inches are some of my most used khuks. Often times I will have a Mora in my pocket or hanging from my neck and also have a khukuri tucked in the belt or in my haversack. Moras and khukuris go hand in hand.

Back