New Military Sprint!! CPM Rex 45

Riz!

Platinum Member
Oh man! Just looked at the mid year product guide! There is a new Millie sprint coming with burnt orange scales and CPM Rex 45 steel. According to the guide it is similar to HAP 40. I am going to have to get this one.

I am going to have to create a franken millie! Maybe a swap with the KW S90V handle set

Alright lets start brainstorming about how this steel might preform... because I have no idea how Hap 40 performs in terms of ease of sharpening, wear resistance, toughness, and stain resistance... school me lol :oops:

Wow, this is great! I already have couple of stainless Millies, so this one will be a welcome change.

I did want to see another CRUWEAR release. I also passed on M4 and 52100 - have them in other models. Guess I was waiting on something new. Well, here it is.

On paper, REX 45 does look similar to HAP40. I have used it on Caly and Delica. Let's see what Crucible does with it.

Seems like a downgrade from the M4 and cruwear sprints and exclusives of last year, as with the other sprints, i.e. 52100.

The steel is certainly interesting and any Military is a good Military. Never owned a folder with the burnt orange color scales. Is it a darkish orange color? Whats good about this color other it is used on seki hap40 folders?

Not sure I like the color, but I am excited about a different steel to try.

Ok that orange is a great colour. It's not a neon rescue orange, it's more of a working colour.

There is a huge HAP40 thread in there. It's super easy to get sharp and cuts really well and if you're one of those sharpening fanatics it's a hair splitting steel.

Any idea how soon this will be in the market? How soon will we see a picture of it? Shall I pre-order or just order it when available? I heard sometimes pre-orders are actually slower is that true? KC should give discount to folks who order the bundle of Military and PM2 (and also Para3) :p

Looking forward to a Millie and a Para2.

Gonna grab that V-Toku2/SUS310 Endura sprint too when it gets here.

Last edited:
Ease of sharpening seems to be in-between Cruwear and M4.
Wear resistance seems to also be in-between Cruwear and M4.

Corrosion resistance falls behind both Cruwear and M4,,,,But it may offer a keener edge so maybe thats the trade off. (Although both Cruwear and m4 get scary sharp as well)

I can't find anything on Toughness other than Crucibles website states that Cruwear has "Exceptional" toughness and REX 45 has "Good" toughness.

Knife center says REX 45 has "exceptional" toughness, but they also say Cruwear has "superior" toughness.

Given the recent sprints and how much I love Cruwear and M4 im not really sure why i went with 52100 other than the fact that I WANTED a patina in an easy to touchup steel.

If this one patinas well... well then my 52100 might be getting replaced.

But when comparing it to M4 and Cruwear im not seeing many improvements, Unless you compare it to 52100.

If only someone could find some info on the toughness.

Last edited:
I will say hap40 was my preferred steel to sharpen thus far. I may need a Millie in this.

Back