New Model Preview! WIP!

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Since I started making knives, I've tended to focus on small to medium sized knives as they are generally carried more frequently than their larger counterparts.

However, I've recently started working on considerably larger defensive and utility blades. While the processes are the same, making a large blade takes quite a bit longer than a smaller one. Your techniques really need to be established, or you'll end up ruining a bar of steel.

This new design is my idea of a fighter/utility/chopper blade. I still haven't named it! I think that many elements that make a blade good for utility purposes translate well into a defensive role.

I've designed the blade so that it will be lightweight relative to the overall size, yet still have a bit of mass for chopping.

I may include a sharpened swedge so that back cut techniques can be utilized; I haven't decided yet. Either way, the point will still be capable of excellent penetration. Most blades of this type have very poor piercing capability, something I'm going to avoid on this model.

The blade will be hollow ground with a 14" contact wheel. This results in a fantastic edge geometry that is still quite durable.

Since this is a new model, I'm still debating certain aspects of the design.

I'm hoping to rough grind and heat treat this tomorrow, and will do my best to share pictures along the way.

Looking forward to any feedback you might have!

Specs as planned:

- 18.5" OAL, about 12.5" cutting edge
- Slightly oversized 3/16" 1095
- Will probably go for 58HRC
- G10 handles

DSCN3432.jpg

Yup, looks that would pierce with little effort. :eek:

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Yup, looks that would pierce with little effort. :eek:

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Thanks!

I'm sort of going for a Bowie meets a kopis meets an FMA inspired blade.

I'm really interested to see how this turns out myself!

Stay tuned, more pics to come tomorrow!

Looks great Johnathan. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Looks great Johnathan. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks Mark!

I haven't forgotten about you; in the middle of heat treating your last blade!

Thanks Mark!

I haven't forgotten about you; in the middle of heat treating your last blade!

No worries Johnathan! You can't rush the pursuit of perfection. I'm just stoked you have your own forum now to showcase your talents. I'm really liking the fighters of late. Keep up the good work!

Today was very productive! :D I was able to make quite a bit of progress!

I was able to get the blade rough ground and heat treated without issue. Large blades tend to warp a bit, but this one came out perfect!

I'm going for a hamon on this one, so the blade was differentially heat treated via the Japanese clay method. I can see a bit of hamon here and there, but will need to work up to finer grits to really see what is going on.

Hopefully the hamon will turn out as expected, but you never really know for sure. The entire blade will eventually be polished, so the hamon should be very prominent.

After heat treat, I cleaned the blade up and started working on the handle. The handle is black G10 with red G10 liners, and will be affixed by 4 screws. I may also epoxy it, but I haven't decided.

The handle still news some work, but it's already extremely comfortable. I can't see loosing your grip on this one due to the large "bird's beak" pommel!

The next step will be to refine the grinds, add the swedge, do re-grinds and begin polishing. Lots of work ahead! I think it will be well worth the effort though.

I'll keep you posted!

DSCN3435.jpg

I'm really diggin' the blade profile on this one! I also like the black/red combo. Are you going to apply your Rorschach finish on this one? That sucker is just plain mean!

I'm really diggin' the blade profile on this one! I also like the black/red combo. Are you going to apply your Rorschach finish on this one? That sucker is just plain mean!

Thanks! I've still got some grinding to do, and it's already light and lively in the hand.

I probably won't do the Rorschach finish on this one because I don't want to obscure the hamon.

I've got a huge piece of A2 that I might use to make Rorschach versions!

Thanks! I've still got some grinding to do, and it's already light and lively in the hand.

I probably won't do the Rorschach finish on this one because I don't want to obscure the hamon.

I've got a huge piece of A2 that I might use to make Rorschach versions!

I thought that the finish might do that, but it looks interesting on the XL Soothsayer you did that way so I thought I'd ask. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing this one with a hamon. I hope you are going to use that A2 and make some more, I really like the lines on this one! Really cool design Johnathan! Keep 'em coming!!

That one turned out great

Hey Tommy! Get to making some knives slacker! LOL!

It's actually no where close to being done.

I'll eventually mirror polish it; should have a nice hamon from what I see so far. Should be an awesome piece.

Will most likely buff the handle too.

Dude everything is out of wack for me right now. Trying to get everything back in line so I can get back to making.

Back