New Model - Survivor Jr. - What do you think?

Which would you prefer - longer? shorter? original?

• Longer blade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shorter blade

• Original blade length (9")

• Total voters

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm definitely doing another run of the Survivor later this year - one that will be done in 6 months or less - guaranteed. I have much more reliable sources this time. *groan*

Anyway, I have shown that knife to hundreds of people and have taken careful note of the comments made.

One of those comments that was made over and over again was the desire to have a shorter version. There were also many comments for a larger one too (12" blade) - and that is coming down the pipeline as well...:D

But for now, I'm very interested in a *Jr* version of the Survivor...and here's what I've come up with.

attachment.php

old version here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=169804&stc=1&d=1276610364

7.5" blade that will feel bigger because it's actually 8.5" to the front of the handle.

Roughly 14.25-14.5" overall

Will be 1/4" thick A2 just like the Sr version. It will still be a beast. :thumbup:

Dan

Attachments

• Survivor2.gif
    Survivor2.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 948
  • SurvivorJr.gif
    SurvivorJr.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,343
Last edited:
And here's a comparison with the original Survivor as well as the MUCK:
(the actual CAD drawings used for waterjet cutting)

attachment.php

Dan

Attachments

• Survivor3.gif
    Survivor3.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,977
I'd be in for a larger (12" + blade length) version. :)

Possibilities for 3V as an upgrade on these?

Yes - that would be a possibility. Would add cost/time....but would be pretty cool.

Dan

The size seems to fit perfect to me. The Jr. looks more like a knife for me than the original. The original more like a machete. Personally i would prefer it the size you posted first. So shorter.

Would you guys be interested in a passaround?

Dan

I wouldn't be interested, I would plain and simply buy both, and if 3v was an option, I would hire half naked women to clean your shop for you while these are being made..............then again, you might never finish another knife with women running around like that. ;)

Seriously, I like A2, but 3v is without a doubt my favorite knife steel hands down, at any price.

DAN

I have one of your Survivor's that I picked up from TTD. A spare he had gotten from you.

I would probably be interested in one of the same size in 3v or a longer one.

A shorter one wouldn't interest me , mainly due to the fact that it is too close in size to the 5" blades I pair it up with to offer much of an advantage at all.

I hear ya, guys.

The more I look at this, the more I like it.

I need to make up a prototype and let it sit for a while.

In the meantime I will be doing another run of the Survivors. :thumbup:

Dan

I am having one of these cut via waterjet to see what it will be like.

Will advise when it shows up.

Good chance we'll be able to have a passaround on it.

Thanks for the interest!

Dan

Anysize works for me. I held the one you had at blade and WOW its awesome. As for a passaround hell yeah

Do you think that the swedge would remain on the finished product? I just remember that it was something that did not survive the production process on the larger Survivors.

Alex

Yes - that is my desire on the JR. To bring back the swedge and shorter grind (not full flat).

Dan

Yes - that is the plan - a small run on the JR model. :thumbup:

I need to clear out a few runs first, then I can open this one up.

Dan

Back