New Mora survival knife?

"the sheath itself looks to be a standard 911 sheath with the loop changed out"

It seems to be. I have the bushcraft Triflex and the 911 and except for some lettering the loop is the only difference. I think the knife in the picture is the Bushcraft Force. The whole package should be in the area of $50 US as the Force is priced @ $30. I also have the 546 and the Sandvic stainless sharpens up real well although being slightly softer than the steel on the 911.

the firesteel holder looks to be self-adjusting. that is, it has a springiness to it so that as the firesteel gets smaller from use the loops tightens for a secure grip still.

It's not the knife that makes this Mora different. It IS the sheath. Getting a different sheath defeats the purpose.

Agreed...... I like the idea. However it's a bit much for me. If I want/need all that on my sheath I would do it myself with Ranger bands. None the less, well done for Mora.

:thumbup::thumbup:LOL!!!!!! EPIC. I hope this version becomes known as the Mora "Rugged Vagina." I'm getting one just because I laughed so hard. Priceless. :D

the firesteel holder looks to be self-adjusting. that is, it has a springiness to it so that as the firesteel gets smaller from use the loops tightens for a secure grip still.

Doubt it. Those little ridges at the base of the fingers pretty much do away with any flexibility. That's probably for the best though, 'cause reinserting the firesteel between each finger if they flexed inward would be a nightmare.

Here's what a self-tensioning FS loop looks like.

jeffcrk3.jpg

It needs a large end for insertion and a small end for tension, and more importantly a smooth transition between the two. If you try to do it without a a path to slide along, you'll bottom out at the first finger. Unless you make the end of the steel pointed of course.

Meh......

Now if they made the 510 again for the USA market in OD I would bite. On a side note anyone ever try to make a kydex sheath for a 511 without cutting the finger guard as for some things I like it.

On the Mora web-site, there's a little flag on the top right corner you can click to get the company's official english translation (as previously mentioned)...

Sadly, the "rugged vagina" becomes a mere "robust sheath"...

:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the English version. I didn't know that Mora made the firesteel as well, wonder how they compare to say, LMF? Pretty cool though, I am interested in checking one out when available.

This is a standard chinese ferrocerium rod - pretty much the same mischmetal you'll get from GoingGear, Gerber, etc.

The difference is LMF is a very hard alloy that takes slow deliberate strikes, and the mischmetal is softer and takes quick strikes. Either type works. For me, I prefer the control of the swedish style more than the crazy sparks of the mischmetals. There are tons of threads on this topic if anybody wants more info. It is pretty much personal preference.

Last edited:
Only if it came with more secure sheath, something that would wrap around the knife a bit.

Here's what a self-tensioning FS loop looks like.

jeffcrk3.jpg

It needs a large end for insertion and a small end for tension, and more importantly a smooth transition between the two. If you try to do it without a a path to slide along, you'll bottom out at the first finger. Unless you make the end of the steel pointed of course.

Cool idea.

Kind Regards,
Marion

I think that this is a pretty good idea - you get a knife + sharpener + firesteel, what more do you really need?

I wonder if any of you guys know what a vagina is in biological terms?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vagina
"2. anatomy, biology any sheath or sheathlike structure, such as a leaf base that encloses a stem "

So that's something to think about every time you slide a knife into a sheath . . .

Back