New old knife day, probably not what you expected.

0iypZJQ.jpg

AwpF9g3.jpg

H6LBny7.jpg

This is an I & L.J. White "9" drawknife. There's some minor chipping near the edges but otherwise it cuts hair. I plan on doing pretty much nothing right now as I I'm using it to debark logs. I may attempt to dress up the blade as there's a lot of meat, but I'm a bit reluctant until it's needed.

I haven't really good estimate of how old this is (maybe someone does) but it's clearly forged and laminated with a high degree of craftsmanship not seem often after the 1880's, or at least that's what I have gathered. I doubt it goes anywhere near the founding of White in 1837, but perhaps circa civil war? That's a wild guess based on little data so again expert opinion welcome.

Whatcha think?

It blows my mind!

The reason I have such reaction is I had one of these on my knee a week ago, still within eyeshot on the table near me. I was given mine years ago from a very old friend who collected and used old woodworking tools and I recently had the thought of putting a hair splitting edge on it just for the no other reason of the sheer pleasure of digging out all my waterstones and going through the motions.

Great old tool, Rich.

Back