New/Old knives in Original Boxes Long Term Storage Question(s)..

Hello All, I have looked but cannot find any old forums that specifically discuss my question. I'll try to keep this short. I traded a nice Ithaca 12 gauge and an old .357 S&W to a friend of mine for some knives in his collection. I want to say Thank You to whoever reply's in advance in case I forget. I could use the help and appreciate your time.

#1. I have about 40-50 old knives new in their original boxes. Some are mine but most are from the trade. They include Old Sog fixed blades and folders (recon bowie, scuba demo, Stingray Folders,etc) and pre benchmade Lone Wolf knives (D/A's and other folders, Defenders, etc..) ESEE, Becker, Ontario, Buck, Kabar, Cold Steel, etc.. Also, a bunch of Himalayan Imports Khukuri's.

#2. I want to BOX them up and store them for the Long Term for my two sons without doing any damage to the knives, sheaths, or original boxes.

#3. I'm not exactly sure what the best way to store them boxed is without doing any damage to the knives, contents inside the box, as well as the box itself.. I am thinking of using Eezox or Renaissance wax to coat the blades, wrap them in paper towels, wax paper or something else, and then place everything back into their original boxes. Once done with all of them I planned on placing them in larger boxes (maybe 5 or 6) that I will seal with duct tape or something.

#4. I'm not going to place them in a damp basement for 30 years and will make sure that whatever I store them in is kept dry. Also because of finances I'm not going to buy an expensive humidity controlled safe or something similar. Some of these knives are awesome and I have thought about using them but realized that for my needs an Esee 4, Lone Wolf folder and Plumb hatchet are perfect. I just want to make sure I do not ruin them by storing them improperly.

#5. Simply put, is there a better way to store these knives all boxed up together (maybe 8 or 10 in each box) in a home for a very long time??

Sounds like you already know what to do. Humidity is the killer, keep dry, lightly oil, don't store in the sheath and put in a sturdy box. A strong Tupperware type box with a seal or the ammo can type boxes they make these days with seals. For extra protection throw a dessicant (spelling) pouch in each one and store it all in a cool dry place and you should be good to go. The only thing I wouldn't do is wrap them in paper towels, too much a water magnet should any moisture get in.

Check out Frog Lube...I use it on firearms and knives. Works amazing and is easy to "winterize" and even easier to make ready.

First, I would clean the knives with alcohol to remove any fingerprints/hand oils (wearing gloves while I did this). Even if you oil the blades and steel parts, hand oils can have an effect on brass, aluminum, etc. But I wouldn't use alcohol, or anything else on rubber handles.

Then I would seal them in an airtight container with a bunch of desiccant packs to absorb any moisture.

Then put them in storage.

If you also want to preserve the condition of the boxes, my only concern might be the weight of knife boxes being stacked on top of each other causing some crush damage over time. But I don't know the weight of the collection, or the size of container you are going to be storing them in. Positioning the boxes evenly in the storage container and placing sheets of corrugated cardboard between layers of boxed knives should disperse the weight and prevent any crush damage.

The thing you want to consider about coating items with lubes and chemicals is, what affect will time have on those lubes/chemicals, and what effect over time will those lubes/chemicals have on the various materials in those knives.

It would suck if your kids opened up a container of knives decades in the future only to discover that the lube/coatings have turned into a gluey/gummy mess. And then they have to figure out how to remove and clean it all off/out.

And again, if you want to preserve the boxes, you want to consider the chances of lube/coatings leeching from the knives into the boxes.

Another thing to consider are rodents. A cardboard box won't keep them out. And they might gnaw through some of the knife boxes inside. I would use a metal or tough plastic container. My personal choice for storage (and protection from rodents and the elements) are Pelican cases. But the larger ones are a bit pricey.

Last edited:
Guy's, Thank You for taking the time to respond. I learned a lot and got some great suggestions from the reply's. I was going to just wipe them with oil before storing but the idea of cleaning them with alcohol first makes perfect sense. Also, throwing a few desiccant pouches into each box is a great idea which I will do. WTHeck was I thinking storing them long term in cardboard boxes!!!! Cardboard attracts moisture and it amazes me how dumb, and cheap, I can be at times. My wife is well aware though and is not surprised at all..

Anyways, I'll pick up some plastic containers with good solid sealing lid's somewhere. I do not think they will be that expensive and it is worth the cost for added protection and peace of mind. I'm going to scrap the paper towels and am thinking of wrapping the knives in wax paper after cleaning, drying, and oiling them lightly. They should be well protected and Thank You for the idea's and suggestions.

Dang, I forgot to ask about the handles... Any idea's on if I should treat the handles with something prior to storage? I think the plan for the steel is solid and well thought out (thanks again guy's) but the handles are more susceptible to damage than the steel. There are different woods, horn, MOP, shell, mino paper, G10, canvas, MOP, etc.. Heck, pretty much all but the kitchen sink. I know for a fact and from experience that wood and horn will crack if the environment is to dry so..... I'm going to do some research but I am probably overthinking it. I don't want to push my luck but I would appreciate any idea's, suggestions, or opinions on that also. Thanks again guy's!!

Back