New Ontario 499

Howdy all. I love Ontario knives. I had a rat 1 and it had a bit of blade play that I wasn’t comfortable with and also the lock would defeat with just a slight spine tap so I returned it. Anyway I just got an Ontario 499 cause it’s a badass and iconic knife. I know that the 499 has a date on the pommel but it seems like almost all of the 499’s are dated 3/11. So did the just make like a million in march of 2011 and they are just sitting in warehouses? Also how do you keep the blade from getting scratched on the rivets when you put it in And take it out of the sheath? There are 2 rivets that are attached to the sharpening stone compartment that scratch the blade. Thanks!

Congrats, it's a good knife. I have one that was issued to me, 40 years ago in the Navy, and it's still going strong. Other than replacing the snap on the keeper strap, and the occasional sharpening, I haven't done a thing to it. It will last you a long time. A few scratches give it a little character, IMO.

Enjoy. :)

Congrats, it's a good knife. I have one that was issued to me, 40 years ago in the Navy, and it's still going strong. Other than replacing the snap on the keeper strap, and the occasional sharpening, I haven't done a thing to it. It will last you a long time. A few scratches give it a little character, IMO.

Enjoy. :)
I was gifted a 499 marked 68 from a Navy friend who worked on ejection seats from carriers during Vietnam. It stays in the footlocker. I liked it and had friends in the USMC who preferred the 499 over the KaBar. Like most in my era, we had to buy our own stuff. A few years ago, I ordered a new one, marked 3-11. I painted the "bolt" gray like a USN issue. Dull as a butter knife when it arrived. Took some effort to sharpen it. A piece of history and a tribute to those who carried it.

I was gifted a 499 marked 68 from a Navy friend who worked on ejection seats from carriers during Vietnam. It stays in the footlocker. I liked it and had friends in the USMC who preferred the 499 over the KaBar. Like most in my era, we had to buy our own stuff. A few years ago, I ordered a new one, marked 3-11. I painted the "bolt" gray like a USN issue. Dull as a butter knife when it arrived. Took some effort to sharpen it. A piece of history and a tribute to those who carried it.
All of the pommels on the Ontario 499 has the 3-11 regardless of the date of manufacture. I think it is a military spec code. Not sure if that is the date that the contract was awarded to Ontario after Camillus went under or what, I am not sure what it specifies. Perhaps someone will be able to shed more light on the details?

Back