New OT model?

As long as we have a Schrade employee on board, I'll put in my $.02.
Old timer steel is in my opinion the best. Not rock hard, easy to sharpen, ability to get it shaving sharp (fine grain) and very flexible. With so many one-hundred dollar pieces of junk on the market, I'm glad you can still buy an OT.
My gripe is that I only use models which happen to be discontinued and am tired of paying new knife prices on EBay. I realize that the likely cause for this stagnation is customer demand. It's sad when the "armchair sportsmen" dictate what gets produced and we all know "they" love their shiny stainless (yuk) blades.
I would love to see a couple of large one or two blade patterns in the carbon steel OT line come out but am not holding my breath.
Consider this a compliment as it is from a bladesmith who can MAKE anything he wants.

Boy!! Did you hit the nail on the head!! Plain carbon
steel is the very best for everyday use BUT the armchair
sportsman have all the money they want to WASTE on
fancy hi end knives that will never really get used.

Yeh, It's still all about money not function.

Edward - Thank you for the nice comments. Old Timer knives are the best value on the planet - it's as simple as that! They are easy to maintain, priced fairly and guaranteed for life. Keep it simple!

I have to say that my OT Stockman cuts every bit as well as my worn-out Boker KingKutter used to before I wore the blades down in a decade of sharpening. Not quite the equal in fit or finish, but one of the best deals in knives today. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, bring back some of the discontinued models. If nothing else, you could rotate them every few years. Something else that would be cool is if you could date the knives. It would be nice to know roughly how old my knives are 20 or 30 years from now!:D

I do love my Old Timers. Great knives, and prices that are even better. Now, is only Schrade would consider a Loveless style drop point hunter in the OT line, I would be completely satisfied :)

OK. I danced around the question and didn't get an answer. So I'll not package the question so delicately now. When are we going to see some large pattern Old Timers with the classic carbon steel blade, like we are requesting here? If this board is an indication of demand, I think that there is likely a very good market for new patterns given the small percentage of buyers who even know about this site (First subtract all the knife buyers who don't even have computers!). 125 and 250 OT's, large barlows and jacks are my preferences. Maybe others want to add theirs in as well, since I know Mr. Faust is going right to the top with this info and we'll likely see these models very soon.
Ed

We are currently reviewing new products for 2003, and have added your requests to the list to be considered. i will keep you posted. We appreciate the input - anything else that would make an exciting new item?

Back