New Outdoorsy Fixed Blade?!

I have to say that I've never been a big fan of the puukko, mostly because of aesthetics, but they are very functional. The rubber handle is a good choice although not as nice looking as say traditional spalted birch, but I understand why they would want to modernize the design.

I'll pass but it is a cool addition to the line. The Crooked River, Proper, and now this indicate a nice direction.

I'm sure an industrious individual could find a way to remove the handle, and replace it with something else without too much difficulty.

I like the idea and the 3V. I wonder, however, how well the grips are secured to the blade. I've seen some posts/videos of rubber handled knives allowing moisture into areas which might corrode the steel underneath. This is one of the reasons I haven't picked up a Steep Country (although the ribs on the back was the other reason). The Moras have the blade embedded in plastic with a rubber overmold (or sometimes all plastic). If I see one in person and this doesn't seem to be an issue, it might be my next fixed blade purchase.

I don't mind the color, I'm just now sure how the handle will look after several years of use.

Benchmade Benchmade , this got me thinking, does warranty cover replacing fixed blade handles for free? And what will warranty cover if you completely break a fixed blade? I've sent in folders for blade swaps/ spa job but have no idea what you'd cover for fixed blades.

I've been using my cskII for 4 years now and barely if no disintegration of the handle BTW bluemetalchurch. This green looks baby poopy but black looks pretty cool and is the most comfortable handle I've ever had.

Last edited:
Benchmade Benchmade , this got me thinking, does warranty cover replacing fixed blade handles for free? And what will warranty cover if you completely break a fixed blade? I've sent in folders for blade swaps/ spa job but have no idea what you'd cover for fixed blades.

I've been using my cskII for 4 years now and barely if no disintegration of the handle BTW bluemetalchurch. This green looks baby poopy but black looks pretty cool and is the most comfortable handle I've ever had.

I will let BKC Customer Service chime in here.

Lifesharp works the same for fixed blades as it does for folders unless the scales can't be taken off and the whole knife has to be replaced. The cost then is $100. That's what I was told by Benchmade.

I am trying to assemble a nice knife collection and one area that I am weak in is bushcrafting in the 3 inch to 5.5 inch length. This Benchmade puukko in 3V is just what I was looking for and I'm in for one, maybe as many as three for family members.

I would prefer a guard and nonleather sheath(I'll pick up a kydex), but the 3V is a winner and the grip is no negative for myself.

Last edited:
I might be late to the party, but the product page for this knife is live at the benchmade website:

https://www.benchmade.com/200.html

I think I might end up purchasing this knife, although I do have my doubts about the handle and the sheath. If only it had an ambidextrous sheath (like the protagonist for example).

How is the tang of this knife?

I think this is gonna be a great blade. Don’t let not having a guard scare you. I used to be weary with a knife not having a guard until I got my first Puukko type knife. I’ll get one soon as it’s released. Should make a great woods blade.

Funny how different folks have different ideas. Not necessarily right or wrong, just different.

When the 162 came out I was attracted to it. But I read the reviews. A lot of folks didn't like the steel, or the ergos of the handle. So I passed for years.

Then last year I bought one. A month or so later, I bought another one. All the while kicking myself for waiting. I am more of a woods guy than I am a knife guy.

I leave the steel and heat treat discussions to the experts, and the knife guys. But my experience has been that the 162 is an excellent all around field blade. Myself, I love the ergos.

It really does what I need it to do.
As Brian Sargent once pointed out on one of his camping trips. I don't need a knife that will properly julienne vegetables in camp. I need it to feed me and keep me warm. (Not a direct quite, but close).

The 162 is not perfect. No knife is. But if I were dropped into the woods with nothing but the 162. I wouldn't be worried about my knife.
i-QzKSzHW-XL.jpg

Different horses for different courses.

As to the 200 Puukko. I am seeing bascially a replay of what I saw with the 162. Half the internet likes it. The other half not so much.

Once again, I was immediately attracted to it. I like Puukkos. The lack of a guard may be of a concern to some. But if an entire country, or more accurately, an entire region, can make do with them. Many folks using them in cold, wet, bloody, work environments. I figure, so can I.

Even Finnish children use Puukko. We Americans need to work on our knife skills.

I find mine to be great field knives.
i-G5V5rhG-XL.jpg

So when Benchmade and Puukko collided with this new offering I was intrigued.

I can tell you plainly. I will not be waiting years to try this one. From what I see, there is really a lot to like about it.

Is it a drop dead gorgeous super model? Certainly not. In my experience, and I actually have some in this regard. Super models are virtually worthless in the woods. Give me the girl next door in the felt packs everytime.

Perhaps, if I had a coffee table in my living room with a glass top. Under which I displayed my prize cutlery. I would think differently. But in the wet, white, and cold, of the northern Adirondack woods. This blade makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm excited for Benchmade. I'm excited for me.

My 162 won me over, because it handles what my woods throw at it. It's just as happy in pouring down rain, as it would be under that glass table top.
i-wRSJpcg-XL.jpg

My 162 has been a low drama workhorse. I expect the 200 Puukko to be much the same.

Last edited:
Anyone have any field time or dirt time with one yet???

I'm thinking this might make a great companion blade to pair with the 162.

The 162 was on my short list for an outdoors fixed blade. I like that it's a stainless steel. It's a little shorter than I wanted but I would have made it work. The handle I could not make work - with the hook on the end my big hands couldn't feel comfortable.

If you like a Puuko this looks to be a good option. I like the sabre grind as I do not care for a scandi much. Rubber scales have never sit well with me though.

The fit and finish on mine is perfect. The balance point is right where my index finger lands making for a very comfortable and natural grip. I love the way it feels in my hand. My first impressions are very favorable. Maybe more to come after I have a chance to take to the woods and try it out.

Back