New project - 154cm

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm working on a 3" blade version of my "EDC Proto" model in 3/16" 154cm steel.

004-13.jpg

006-6.jpg

Looking forward to seeing these Daniel! Loved the look of the full sized ones, but sometimes a nice small blade is just what ya need.

Looking forward to seeing these Daniel! Loved the look of the full sized ones, but sometimes a nice small blade is just what ya need.

Thanks! These are going to be great!

Scribing another one, I'll keep the first as a template.
009-2.jpg

Drilling some holes for hardware and balance.
012-5.jpg

Grinding the profile.
013-7.jpg

[img

I like 154CM,it's some tough stuff.
I did a little testing awhile ago & needless to say,I was impressed.

031-5-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am actually not a fan of 154cm. It has chipped on me pretty bad and does not hold an edge well. It might be the HT though. The knife is an Emerson. Funny enough I have found the s35vn on my Strider to be much nicer than 154cm.

Kaleb

I am actually not a fan of 154cm. It has chipped on me pretty bad and does not hold an edge well. It might be the HT though. The knife is an Emerson. Funny enough I have found the s35vn on my Strider to be much nicer than 154cm.

Kaleb
That sounds like bad grain structure caused by a problem in heat treat or in the steel's manufacturing. A few years back a bad batch got distributed and it almost killed 154cm's reputation. Sorry to hear that.

I think Bob Loveless came up with the formula of 154cm or at least introduced it's use for knives, kind of a cool bit of trivia.

Looking forward to hearing how good these knives are compared to your other steels. I am waiting to have the extra money to have you make a small clone of my Daniel Fairly survival knife!

Looking forward to hearing how good these knives are compared to your other steels. I am waiting to have the extra money to have you make a small clone of my Daniel Fairly survival knife!

I have been testing a piece for a short time and am very impressed with the edge holding and strength, it is a very thin blade as well. I doubt I'd use any stainless steel on a large knife or chopper but I really like it so far for EDC sized knives.

I never thought I'd use any stainless but after testing this knife it isn't like the stainless I was used to at all. I'll have to see how it sharpens up if the blade I have ever gets dull!

I found a source for the 3/16" thick 5160 by the way! Big Country Survival Knife!

Kaleb
That's really surprising to hear,I've never heard a bad thing about 154CM.
It must have been a bad batch,I bet Ernie was pissed.
I have a BM Griptillian in 154CM & its holding up just fine as my work knife.
In the pic above you can see the marks on the side of the blade from me hammering into that piece of pipe,no edge damage at all,just the marks on the shoulders right above the edge.There was no damage to the point after hammering it in either.I ran my thumb nail down the edge & there wasn't the slightest bit of deformation.
It's all in the heat treat I guess.

I can't wait to see your finished knife Daniel.
Send it to me & I'll give it a good work out. :eek: ;)

That's really surprising to hear,I've never heard a bad thing about 154CM.
It must have been a bad batch,I bet Ernie was pissed.
I have a BM Griptillian in 154CM & its holding up just fine as my work knife.
In the pic above you can see the marks on the side of the blade from me hammering into that piece of pipe,no edge damage at all,just the marks on the shoulders right above the edge.There was no damage to the point after hammering it in either.I ran my thumb nail down the edge & there wasn't the slightest bit of deformation.
It's all in the heat treat I guess.

I can't wait to see your finished knife Daniel.
Send it to me & I'll give it a good work out. :eek: ;)

I hope to have more progress soon, I just got my new belts in and should get back on grinding in the very near future!

Thanks guys! These are for a big project... more later on that!

They are in the kiln as I write this, ramping up to nearly 2000 F and will be held for half an hour at that temperature. After that they will be plate quenched with my 1" thick Aluminum plate setup.

001-8.jpg

Fresh out of the plate quench, they are clean and straight as can be!

009-3.jpg

Hey Daniel,looking good,is the bottom one going to get a cord wrap?

I tempered these for 150 minutes per cycle for two cycles today so tomorrow I'll get to grinding them!

They should be around 60 Rockwell, I bet they will hold an edge forever.

Back