New Recurve Camp Knife

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Been busy as Hell the last few weeks and needed to get in some shop time to clear my head. I wanted to do some freestyle grinding on an idea for a recurve blade. I used some natural linen micarta for the scales since I recently bought some for the first time. I kinda dig the stuff! It has a nice golden/honey color to it and finished up nicer than the canvas micarta I usually get in natural. This knife is 14 3/4in overall with a 9 1/2in blade tip to handle. I used 1/4in thick 5160 for blade stock. The flat of the blade is finished in a fast/rough finish with a 36grit belt running pommel to point then hit with a Scotchbrite belt for a nice satin finish. The bevels are flat ground on both sides. I drilled out the tang for some better balance and weight reduction. I have been watching that show Alone and this is one of the designs I thought of while thinking about what would I take with me if I was to go solo to the woods for a while :)

Looks great Bill!!! Work sucks right now for me too...nothing puts a smile on my face more then taking one of my Siegle's out in the bush and taking out some stress aggression on a few trees!!! Those handles are very nice, almost a wood like quality to them.

Well after watching TV and handling this one for a few days, I couldn't leave it alone. With the wide spine it was almost a pure chopper. Not bad really but I wanted something more general use so back out to the shop :) I took the bevel a little higher grinding very slowly and dunking it after every couple of passes. Still has that choppy feel but it will do a lot better at actual cutting and be lighter in the hand. I forgot to weigh it in the before form but it is now 21 ounces. Now I really love it!!!!

Thanks guys! I really like this one myself and look forward to using it next week in the woods :) The handle is one that I have used on a bunch of blades. It feels really good and fits a lot of hand sizes. It is right up there in popularity with the handle shape I use on the JEST bolos. The large pommel keeps it in your hand when chopping but the slope keeps "pinky pinch" to a minimum. The forward section allows you to really choke up on the handle. I am thinking about doing a short run of these in this general size but with different blade shapes. Might work up some patterns next week around the camp fire :)

Like the higher ground bevel. Looks like it will go through anything. Always great blades Bill !!

Just dreaming but........if that had a choil and a nice jimped thumb ramp for close up work and a glass breaker on the but end, it would be my perfect blade. Add to much to the cost though I assume.

Man Bill that higher grind really lets you see the temper line too. I keep coming back and looking at this one again. This, your Hoodlum, and your Jest bolo are really something else.

Very nice, if I was going to design a large blade do all knife that's :thumbup: about it.
Like to hear more after you use it some.

Wow. That thing looks awesome.

Looks like you really nailed it with that design, and the execution on your builds is always superb.

Back