New Ritter Grip

That Ritter is absolutely beautiful.... ive wanted to build one like that for a long time.....

I would think this late in the game this wouldn't be an issue.... but i think the blade center issue would be due to warpage during the heat treat process.... Sounds like they are loosening up the tolerances... bummer.

That Ritter is absolutely beautiful.... ive wanted to build one like that for a long time.....

I would think this late in the game this wouldn't be an issue.... but i think the blade center issue would be due to warpage during the heat treat process.... Sounds like they are loosening up the tolerances... bummer.

That's an interesting thought. That may explain why they changed the blade on mine to fix the centering problem.

I guess I got lucky? Just got a full size grip in and it had not one flaw I could find!!!:-0 had to center up a Barrage and an Adamas but came to center fine by fooling with scale screws. Out of 5 Benchmades 3 came off center rest were great! Have a mini Grip that's just very slightly off so probably will leave it alone since it is so minor?

The obsession with blade centering is relatively recent in the knife world, and as long as the blade is not rubbing a side, many production companies don't waste time with a largely aesthetic factor. I know it is important to knife nuts nowadays (and I'm one of them), but 10 years ago most people would not have even noticed.

The obsession with blade centering is relatively recent in the knife world, and as long as the blade is not rubbing a side, many production companies don't waste time with a largely aesthetic factor. I know it is important to knife nuts nowadays (and I'm one of them), but 10 years ago most people would not have even noticed.

I think the price changes in things over the last 10 years is a large contributing factor. The old saying "If I pay X amount for a knife, I expect the blade to be centered." I don't obsess over it, but I do think that it a characteristic that falls squarely on the craftsmanship side of things. Think about it, You are not allowed to disassemble your knives via the warranty wording, because the end line user is not a skilled knife maker or assembler. So what to do when something isn't the way it should be? Food for though.

I'd be pissed with a $10 knife with a warped or otherwise off-centered blade.

With a knife that's $119 or more, from a company that prides itself on its fine, made-in-America products, and when the problem continues to show up for more than a year, it's simply inexcusable.

I'd be pissed with a $10 knife with a warped or otherwise off-centered blade.

With a knife that's $119 or more, from a company that prides itself on its fine, made-in-America products, and when the problem continues to show up for more than a year, it's simply inexcusable.

I would be upset with them as well but would give them the chance to correct the issue. I have bought probably close to 20 Griptilians in both sizes and probably had 2 that had a issue with centering, within the last year. I do ask that the knife be inspected before a dealer sends it out, hopefully Benchmade will get this straightened out.

I would be upset with them as well but would give them the chance to correct the issue. I have bought probably close to 20 Griptilians in both sizes and probably had 2 that had a issue with centering, within the last year. I do ask that the knife be inspected before a dealer sends it out, hopefully Benchmade will get this straightened out.

Agreed.

But you'd probably have even more defective ones if the dealer hadn't inspected them.

(See post No. 6.)

I love the Ritters and do think it's inexcusable for BM to let this problem continue for so long.

People need to start holding a maker's feet to the fire. This is just not knives, but all products that we consider of higher quality and costly. Accepting a sub-par product only lessens expectations going forward for the manufacture and eventually, we wind up with sh*t products as an unacceptable price point. Don't settle for anything less than perfect. It's a reasonable expectation that a $100 knife has a centered blade, lock-up and release is working as it should, no scratches, etc.

Back