New S30v sharpening technique

Thought I’d share my experience with S30v. I sharpened my Spyderco Para 3 on DMT plates. After a few trials I settled on sharpening and refining on the coarse, then refining and deburring on the Extra Extra fine. Nice and toothy and shaves hair clean. I pulled the blade threw a piece of wood as part of my deburring process, and it made all the difference in the world.

Same here except my coarse is eze-lap, I don't pull through wood, and I do it with all my steels.

My main stone is a coarse/extra fine sharpal (cheap diamond stone on amazon). Works great, and is really all I need most of the time. Have an Extra Coarse DMT plate I glued to a wood block for real heavy work (I sharpen with the stones in hand, and that DMT was just too thin for that so had to improvise). Also have Spyderco Medium and Fine if I want to get all fancy.

The Extra Fine diamond edge is pretty fine, but you can still feel lots of teeth. Not as push-cutty as the ceramics, but it bites and cuts, and still cleanly slices a paper towel (one of my tests). That's the great thing about that 1200 diamond edge, how it grabs and cuts. I enjoy going all the way to my fine ceramic, but when it comes to trimming wire tags at work the finer edges don't want to start cutting the shrink tube. A toothier edge bites and does the job much better.

Always fun to try different edges!

Back