new Schrade Uncle Henry Cigar Whittler - blade materal

Never seen one close up, although you would find it cheaper from the link below. For the price I would buy one and do a review of what you find. 440 Stainless Steel I believe the blades are made of.

There a many for and many against the new line of Schrade Imports, Schrade USA never made this particular style and is somewhat a curiosity, not a bad looking knife, although as I mainly collect USA Schrades. I would not be buying one for my collection. JMHO.

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/e...e=191&SearchText=schrade&Mode=Text&SKU=SCT9UH

Russell

I looked at one of these at Big 5 here in Northern CA, and it was not quite up to the standard of the old USA-made Schrades. Might make a good user, but I agree with Rusty. I don't feel the need to have one in my collection.

thx - cpr

The knife is very well made .Any one would be pleased with it but is is not USA made.Some of the new Schrades are made in USA.

I do not know how to do links.The USA made have been many.First check with Smokey Mtn.Works they have some .Taylor Brands in catolog show some USA susa15,susa2s,susa3s.On the web Sharper Deals have Scharde USA red bone Automatic knives.I hope this helps this is what I have seen .

The knives that I have seen (the Uncle Henry line just like you have a link too) are made out of a celluloid not bone? Are you sure the knife that you handled was made out of bone? If it was a bone handled selling for $12.50 price I don't see how this could be possible. Could you please give us the name and town of the feed store, I have search the web and the 9UH cannot be found neither in bone handles nor at $12.50. Any help would be appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken Staglon Scales by Schrade were a Duralon Plastic, and not Celluloid ?

The knives that I have seen (the Uncle Henry line just like you have a link too) are made out of a celluloid not bone? Are you sure the knife that you handled was made out of bone?

The ones I saw were under the Schrade name instead of Uncle Henry and came in a cigar style box, same knife just real bone instead of Staglon, which as d.parker pointed out is Delrin not celluloid.

If it was a bone handled selling for $12.50 price I don't see how this could be possible.

Because they are made in China, just like the UH version in the link.

Could you please give us the name and town of the feed store, I have search the web and the 9UH cannot be found neither in bone handles nor at $12.50. Any help would be appreciated.

Rural King, their website seems to have them at $21.99-23.99, but when I was in the store last week they had them at $12.50, so it may have been a holiday sale????

Schrade Version

Uncle Henry Version

Any idea what type of steel they use for there blades.

I think the new Chinese steels are called Five & Dime, sort of a 1095 but not too close.:)

Also some of the USA Schrades from Smokey are made by Bear & Sons with 440 steel. You may need to call to find out which are USA made.

Back