new service pricing structure

Isn’t this just like everything else in life? People take advantage and ruin a good thing. Personally, I can’t blame them. I’m sure they had to support some ridiculous requests. You just can’t keep giving goods and services away and stay in business. I have a new Benchmade 535-3 on the way right now. I’m going to use it and hopefully love it.

As a BM owner/user for many years, I find this disdain, no, disdain is not the right word... complete “screw them, I’m never buying another product again over-the-top-ness?” stemming from the replacement blade price increases really strange.

First, I’ve never had anything but good experiences with their customer service. If I’ve needed parts or clips, they’ve sent me parts or clips, usually at little or no cost, but I’ve never sent a complete knife to them for all-out repair or reblading, even though I probably could have. I sharpen mine myself, and fix whatever breaks that I can, mostly because I don’t want the hassle of shipping and waiting, regardless that the warranty exists.

That said, I also fully understand and acknowledge that my use of a knife may very likely be far less rigorous than others, coupled with the fact I have several (ok, more than several) knives, and not just one dedicated knife to cut stuff with, so wear gets distributed a bit thinly. I’ve never personally worn a single blade so far out that I reasonably thought the manufacturer owed me a new one based on damage from use I put on it. They’re tools, they wear, I expect that. I know folks who DO put that kind of wear on knives, and I understand it sucks replacing one if you gotta, but that cost not a deciding factor for me when I buy them, because it’ll probably be a non-issue in my casual use. I do expect warranty coverage for defects in manufacture and assembly, but not legitimate, expected wear. Maybe the price of reblades IS unreasonable now for hard users, but I don’t and probably never will have a dog in that fight. Nonetheless, the warranty is a nice icing on the cake for their knives, which I enjoy, but I don’t buy them solely because of their warranty.

What does irk me, and I’m curious if this was a catalyst in the hike, is something I’ve noticed here and there among current collectors’/enthusiasts’, which is the parameters of wear worth sending in for warranty work and/or reblading. Scratches in finish? Buying a knife with serrations, then deciding you’d rather have a plain edge? Upgrading/changing steel because you think you need a better one? Wanting a coated blade because it just looks better with your snazzy new aftermarket scales? Were these the folks who were abusing the service intended to help a company support their loyal users? If you bought something and expected something else, is that BM’s problem to fix? I mean, sorry your knife has a bit of character after using it a few times, but does it neeeeed a whole new blade? “No, but it’s not LNIB anymore, and it’s covered under LifeSharp, so I might as well.”

Additionally, I was thinking about the secondary market, which I imagine was probably far less of an issue in years past before the Bay. Is it possible there’s a significant enough issue with flippers and folks buying secondhand beaters at rock bottom prices, then sending them in for brand new blades? At least enough so that BM was losing enough in “repairs” to secondhand (thirdhand, fourthhand) buyers that they had to make up some costs to keep up or curtail this type of activity? I dunno. Would lowering the price of reblading again, BUT requiring proof of retail purchase or warranty registration be the answer?

Like I said, $70 - $90 is still less than a new BM knife, but not so inexpensive those buying that battle-rattled handle assembly with an oversharpened blade with a busted tip and smooth serrations on the Bay can put a brand new blade on it for cheap and earn the clout of having a Benchmade. For whatever clout is worth. Lol.

Eh. This isn’t really a “come to defense of the almighty Butterfly as a fanboy” argument. I’m just thinking out loud (well, on the keyboard anyway). I could be completely wrong.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly. Of course you now have the "entitled" off gnashing their teeth.

Reactions: DMG
As a BM owner/user for many years, I find this disdain, no, disdain is not the right word... complete “screw them, I’m never buying another product again over-the-top-ness?” stemming from the replacement blade price increases really strange.

First, I’ve never had anything but good experiences with their customer service. If I’ve needed parts or clips, they’ve sent me parts or clips, usually at little or no cost, but I’ve never sent a complete knife to them for all-out repair or reblading, even though I probably could have. I sharpen mine myself, and fix whatever breaks that I can, mostly because I don’t want the hassle of shipping and waiting, regardless that the warranty exists.

That said, I also fully understand and acknowledge that my use of a knife may very likely be far less rigorous than others, coupled with the fact I have several (ok, more than several) knives, and not just one dedicated knife to cut stuff with, so wear gets distributed a bit thinly. I’ve never personally worn a single blade so far out that I reasonably thought the manufacturer owed me a new one based on damage from use I put on it. They’re tools, they wear, I expect that. I know folks who DO put that kind of wear on knives, and I understand it sucks replacing one if you gotta, but that cost not a deciding factor for me when I buy them, because it’ll probably be a non-issue in my casual use. I do expect warranty coverage for defects in manufacture and assembly, but not legitimate, expected wear. Maybe the price of reblades IS unreasonable now for hard users, but I don’t and probably never will have a dog in that fight. Nonetheless, the warranty is a nice icing on the cake for their knives, which I enjoy, but I don’t buy them solely because of their warranty.

What does irk me, and I’m curious if this was a catalyst in the hike, is something I’ve noticed here and there among current collectors’/enthusiasts’, which is the parameters of wear worth sending in for warranty work and/or reblading. Scratches in finish? Buying a knife with serrations, then deciding you’d rather have a plain edge? Upgrading/changing steel because you think you need a better one? Wanting a coated blade because it just looks better with your snazzy new aftermarket scales? Were these the folks who were abusing the service intended to help a company support their loyal users? If you bought something and expected something else, is that BM’s problem to fix? I mean, sorry your knife has a bit of character after using it a few times, but does it neeeeed a whole new blade? “No, but it’s not LNIB anymore, and it’s covered under LifeSharp, so I might as well.”

Additionally, I was thinking about the secondary market, which I imagine was probably far less of an issue in years past before the Bay. Is it possible there’s a significant enough issue with flippers and folks buying secondhand beaters at rock bottom prices, then sending them in for brand new blades? At least enough so that BM was losing enough in “repairs” to secondhand (thirdhand, fourthhand) buyers that they had to make up some costs to keep up or curtail this type of activity? I dunno. Would lowering the price of reblading again, BUT requiring proof of retail purchase or warranty registration be the answer?

Like I said, $70 - $90 is still less than a new BM knife, but not so inexpensive those buying that battle-rattled handle assembly with an oversharpened blade with a busted tip and smooth serrations on the Bay can put a brand new blade on it for cheap and earn the clout of having a Benchmade. For whatever clout is worth. Lol.

Eh. This isn’t really a “come to defense of the almighty Butterfly as a fanboy” argument. I’m just thinking out loud (well, on the keyboard anyway). I could be completely wrong.

I am not sure what other companies policies are with regards to replacing an entire blade though I would guess that they are probably in the same range. Like you, I probably have 8-10 benchmade knives along with a host of other knives from various manufacturers so my use is likewise distributed across many different knives and as such have not required a blade replacement. If I owned only one knife for 10 years plus and either sharpened it to a nub, or broke the blade after a decade of abuse....I would probably just be in the market for a whole new knife rather than trying to put a new blade in a decade old handle.

I am not sure what other companies policies are with regards to replacing an entire blade though I would guess that they are probably in the same range. Like you, I probably have 8-10 benchmade knives along with a host of other knives from various manufacturers so my use is likewise distributed across many different knives and as such have not required a blade replacement. If I owned only one knife for 10 years plus and either sharpened it to a nub, or broke the blade after a decade of abuse....I would probably just be in the market for a whole new knife rather than trying to put a new blade in a decade old handle.

The only other ones I know of at Kershaw/ZT and Buck. I believe Kershaw is $10 and ZT is $30 or $40. Buck I think is about $10 for just plain 420hc, not sure about other steels.

Not sure how big Benchmade is compared to Kershaw, but I think Kershaw is bigger (as a result of being owned by KAI).

Either way, I won't be needing reblades for a long time, if ever, but it's still sad to see the price go up. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I had good experience with KAI warranty service quite a few years ago, on a Kershaw I probably only spent $30 on new. Stripped the heads of a couple very soft body screws taking the thing apart. They replaced them without fuss, though they made me send the knife to them, and wouldn’t just send me the screws. Still thought their effort was impressive given such a low cost item.

Yes i probably will never need a blade replacement. But the issue here the price of the knife was set based on the fact of $30 or $40 blade replacement cost. Now you raised that cost for 100-200% more WITHOUT lowering the price of the knife (actually benchmade raised It's knife prices again recently).

Anyway, just like with Cold Steel, I think I have accumulated enough benchmade knives so I don't and won't buy anymore.

Yes i probably will never need a blade replacement. But the issue here the price of the knife was set based on the fact of $30 or $40 blade replacement cost. Now you raised that cost for 100-200% more WITHOUT lowering the price of the knife (actually benchmade raised It's knife prices again recently).

Anyway, just like with Cold Steel, I think I have accumulated enough benchmade knives so I don't and won't buy anymore.

Having the option to get a blade replaced is certainly a good peace of mind but I dont necessarily think that it was explicitly stated that the reason why Benchmade knives are priced the way that they are is due to the blade replacement. I think that the entire warranty of tuning, sharpening, and other things that make up the Lifesharp servicing is probably more of what they mean when people say you are paying the butterfly tax for their warranty service. For instance, other major knife companies produce similar blades within the same price range and the same materials that do not have a stated blade replacement service. The standard mini grip for instance being in the 90-110 range the same as the standard para3 lightweight from spyderco.

Anyone happen to have sent in a full sized Griptilian for a blade replacement in the last year or so? I reached out to BM to inquire about a price and haven't heard back.

I remember a time Benchmade had a lifetime warranty, you know where you pay nothing to fix the knife you paid triple what the competition charges so you have peace of mind. No replacing fees, no service cost, no coupon for 40 percent of msrp, ......just got a new knife.

Sad, I paid good money for a warranty that Benchmade would stand behind.

I remember a time Benchmade had a lifetime warranty, you know where you pay nothing to fix the knife you paid triple what the competition charges so you have peace of mind. No replacing fees, no service cost, no coupon for 40 percent of msrp, ......just got a new knife.

Sad, I paid good money for a warranty that Benchmade would stand behind.

Benchmade has always charged for blade replacements, they only changed how much they charge. Their warranty is still the same.

yeah, & if the blade fails due to a factory defect they will still replace if free of charge as far as i know

Yup, they'll replace it for factory defect, or if they bungle the sharpening you asked them not to do when you sent the knife in for warranty work (ask me how i know that one... /s).

I’ve spent thousands of dollars on Benchmade knives and justified the price because of their warranty. First time I’ve sent a knife in for warranty and just found out they changed their warranty pricing. New blade was 50 percent of a new knife? So this is where I part ways with this company, I will never purchase or recommend them to anyone. Being a first responder, we stay loyal to good companies that stand behind their products.

was the blade defective? from what i understood they were still replacing manufacturing defects for free. last time i checked the were charging 33% of the price of the knife, tho i’m not sure if that was the msrp or map price. and you can thank all the people that took advantage of their cheap blade replacements for the price of a replacement going up. a lot of folks were getting new blades just to switch from coated to satin or swapping a serrated blade for a plain edge, etc….. & then once benchmade started returning the origiobal blade a little while back they’d send it in to get a spare blade that might possibly never be used. i remember seeing a bunch of knives being sold on the bay with a spare blade about that time too. another instance of a few greedy people ruining it for everyone else. just like they did with unlimited the free clip replacements a couple years ago

was the blade defective? from what i understood they were still replacing manufacturing defects for free. last time i checked the were charging 33% of the price of the knife, tho i’m not sure if that was the msrp or map price. and you can thank all the people that took advantage of their cheap blade replacements for the price of a replacement going up. a lot of folks were getting new blades just to switch from coated to satin or swapping a serrated blade for a plain edge, etc….. & then once benchmade started returning the origiobal blade a little while back they’d send it in to get a spare blade that might possibly never be used. i remember seeing a bunch of knives being sold on the bay with a spare blade about that time too. another instance of a few greedy people ruining it for everyone else. just like they did with unlimited the free clip replacements a couple years ago
I’ll be honest, I don’t know how the blade broke. It was NOT from abuse. I’ve had this particular knife for 2 years and use it as my EDC for work. The knife new price is 165 although I think it was around 240 when purchased.So 83 dollars to replace the blade of 165 dollar knife is half price. I can understand what you’re saying about the people taking advantage but understand this. I have NEVER sent a knife to them for anything and when purchased it was stated that the warranty covered blade replacement for a flat fee of $40, which would be 25 percent on this particular knife. If you think their blade cost is 83 dollars for a knife they sell for 160, that wouldn’t be profitable. So yeah this left me very disappointed with this company and they lost a long time customer.

have you spoken to them yet? it sounds like something that might be covered by the warranty, in which case you shouldn’t have to pay for anything more than shipping it to them, possibly not even that. they’ve done awesome by me, had an old barrage that i broke one of the scales on, sent it in & they replaced both scales & both liners along with all the screw & springs. tho it’s been a couple years since i’ve had to send one in their warranty has always done right by me

have you spoken to them yet? it sounds like something that might be covered by the warranty, in which case you shouldn’t have to pay for anything more than shipping it to them, possibly not even that. they’ve done awesome by me, had an old barrage that i broke one of the scales on, sent it in & they replaced both scales & both liners along with all the screw & springs. tho it’s been a couple years since i’ve had to send one in their warranty has always done right by me
That’s the way they used to treat their customers from what I understand. One of my old partners had a Benchmade that he abused and sent it in expecting to pay for a new blade. They replaced it free of charge and that was a huge selling point for me. I sent my knife in and spoke with them. They were originally just going to grind and sharpen the blade with 1/4” missing and told me I’d have to pay for the new blade. Truthfully this isn’t about the money as much as lost trust for misleading their customers. They changed the warranty a short time after this purchase but I wouldn’t of known this unless I had this experience.

For what it’s worth, I literally just spoke to benchmade today about a blade change on a mini presido 2. They said $55 which (based on the first site I saw which was selling a new model for $135 not sure about shipping) is just under 41% of the value of a brand new model. I am not a benchmade “fanboy”, though I do own and enjoy many of their products and defend them somewhat through their QC issues etc, but I think paying 40% for a new blade which probably goes into about 40% (okay maybe less but probably still a decent amount with new prices and general effort) of the cost of making the knife, I’m still fairly okay with paying that premium. I’ve had a lot of good experiences with benchmade customer service and theyve always took care of me with “nitpicky” stuff at no cost to me. Personally (if the model and blade steel reflects the price to swap it) I’m not very offended by recent price changes to blade swaps that I’m sure a fair amount of folks were abusing.

Last edited:
Benchmade has always been good to me.Being Canadian I have no problem with the new pricing as I know the included shipping to Canada,is not cheap.

It been years ago since I've sent in knives for warranty and have never paid a cent.Even a dealer exclusive rift for a machining defect in the blade locking parts,replaced with all the proper markings.

Back